Can anyone recommend a good non-fiction book?

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
I just read 'Fear' (great book) and have some extra online freebies coming but have no idea what to get.

Any suggestions...but please make it non-fiction?

I just read 'Fear' (great book) and have some extra online freebies coming but have no idea what to get.

Woodward’s Book, The Commanders is probably one of the better books I read along the lines of the US Government. It covers from when GHWB took office up until Desert Storm I. I may pick it up again given the recent departing of GHWB. It will definitely make you nostalgic for when we had a real President.

A1D7ncIJ46L.jpg

category_0001_Toddler.jpg

• Banned

Woodward’s Book, The Commanders is probably one of the better books I read along the lines of the US Government. It covers from when GHWB took office up until Desert Storm I. I may pick it up again given the recent departing of GHWB. It will definitely make you nostalgic for when we had a real President.

Hey, sounds perfect. Thanks!

Hey, sounds perfect. Thanks!

A better book than "Fear" if you ask me only because at the time, you didn't know what you doknow today. Like (not giving too much away here), Secretary Cheney packed a suitcase on the eve of DS1. But he didn't take it with him to the Pentagon because he didn't want reporters to know he planned on being there overnight. He sent an aide to get it and bring it to the Pentagon later. Today, that would have likely been on Twitter the moment it happened. "Fear" told us a whole lot of stuff we already knew although that part of Mattis folding boxer shorts is hilarious.

Here are four of the most amazing nonfiction works I've ever read:

51kUxAwf1mL._SL300_.jpg

A History of the English-Speaking Peoples (The Birth of Britain / The New World / The Age of Revolution / The Great Democracies)

by, Sir Winston Churchill

The Lost City of Z by David Grann is good, if you like a story about an archeologist/explorer in the South American jungles.
It's been out awhile, so you might have already read it.

Here are four of the most amazing nonfiction works I've ever read:

51kUxAwf1mL._SL300_.jpg

A History of the English-Speaking Peoples (The Birth of Britain / The New World / The Age of Revolution / The Great Democracies)

by, Sir Winston Churchill
Reading those is on my bucket list.

Churchill was a GREAT man. Maybe the greatest of the 20th Century.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I know you said non fiction, but there are some here who might go for historically based fiction.

The Day of the Jackal

For the 1973 film adaptation of the novel, see The Day of the Jackal (film).

The Day of the Jackal (1971) is a thrillernovel by English writer Frederick Forsythabout a professional assassin who is contracted by the OAS, a French dissident paramilitary organisation, to kill Charles de Gaulle, the President of France.

The Day of the Jackal[https://upload]

1971 UK 1st Edition dustjacket (spine & front)

AuthorFrederick ForsythCountryUnited KingdomLanguageEnglishGenreSpy, Thriller, Historical novelPublisherHutchinson & Co(UK)
Viking Press (US)

Publication date

7 June 1971 (UK)
6 August 1971 (US)Media typePrint (hardback & paperback)Pages358 pp (first edition, UK)
380 pp (first edition, US)ISBN0-09-107390-1(first edition, hardback)OCLC213704

Dewey Decimal

823/.9/14LC ClassPZ4.F7349 Day3 PR6056.O699

The novel received admiring reviews and praise when first published in 1971, and it received a 1972 Best Novel Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America. The novel remains popular, and in 2003 it was listed on the BBC's survey The Big Read.[1]

The OAS does exist as described in the novel, and the book opens with an accurate depiction of the attempt to assassinate de Gaulle as led by Jean-Marie Bastien-Thiry, but the subsequent plot is completely fictional.

The Day of the Jackal - Wikipedia

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Get yourself a copy of the Official GRE Study Guide and test yourself.. Great way to spend time improving your life... Forget the salacious political tell-alls and narcissistic biographies. Do something for yourself...

Anything by Erik Larson
I found 3 books by Erik Larson that looked interesting--"The Devil in the white City," In the Garden of Beasts", And "Dead Wake: the Last Crossing of the Lithuania. I just found all 3 on Amazon and put an order in. Sometimes they go through and sometimes they don't when you order books through bargain sellers. We'll see what the mailman brings. :)
Thanks for the tip. I read their short content notes--two deal with issues during World Wars, and one deals with a serial killer in a big city fair in the 1890s.

Forum List

Back