Can A Republican Tell Me When Trickle Down Economics Worked?

Wow...I'm not even sure where to start with that, Winston! First of all Government spends money whether it takes it in as tax revenues or simply prints it. Secondly when liberals try and tax the wealthy the wealthy's time tested response is to put their money into tax shelters instead of investing it in businesses. If you want to see the result of your type of misguided fiscal policy look no further then when New Jersey enacted a "millionaires tax"!
I have no idea what you're talking about when you claim that investing in the stock market is "saving" not investing! Where did you arrive at that conclusion?
Wow, the wealthy put money in tax shelters. Most of the time, those are what we call "investments". In fact, not more than three miles down the road is one of the largest wholesale distributors of plants in the nation. The company was started almost forty years ago as a "tax shelter". I mean you spit out that bit like it is some bad thing.

And yes, buying stock on the stock exchange is not "investing" in an economic sense.

Investment is the addition to Capital Stock of the economy – e.g. factories, machines, or any item that is used to produce other goods and services.

I have three sons, and when they were growing up they could not have been more different when it came to handling money. The oldest was the "investor". He only spent money on things that would make him more money, rather it was gold mining equipment or rolls of half dollars that he sifted through for silver. The youngest was the saver, he never bought anything, just piled up the cash. He didn't spend, but he didn't invest either. The middle one was the spender, he let go of his money like it was going to go out of date. Of course, they never had that much to begin with and when they grew up and entered the work force that dynamic changed a little.

The oldest is still the investor, he invests in himself, including a Phd. Currently 27, he will hit a net worth of over a million dollars before he is 30, almost there now. The middle one doesn't spend anymore, he saves, in the stock market. And the youngest, well he makes the least money and drives the finest car, spending everything and living paycheck to paycheck.

The oldest, he is driving the economy. In fact, he has probably saved you money on your power bill. He travels the world, consults with energy companies, improves their efficiencies, and is on the cutting edge of material improvement for everything from turbines to generators. The youngest, he is driving the economy too, by spending. But the middle one, he is a drag on the economy, he contributes little, spends less, and saves everything. While you believe everyone that is wealthy fits into the oldest's category, I know for a fact, most of the wealthy are like my middle son, and none of them are like the youngest.

Wow, the wealthy put money in tax shelters. Most of the time, those are what we call "investments". In fact, not more than three miles down the road is one of the largest wholesale distributors of plants in the nation. The company was started almost forty years ago as a "tax shelter". I mean you spit out that bit like it is some bad thing.

And yes, buying stock on the stock exchange is not "investing" in an economic sense.

Investment is the addition to Capital Stock of the economy – e.g. factories, machines, or any item that is used to produce other goods and services.

I have three sons, and when they were growing up they could not have been more different when it came to handling money. The oldest was the "investor". He only spent money on things that would make him more money, rather it was gold mining equipment or rolls of half dollars that he sifted through for silver. The youngest was the saver, he never bought anything, just piled up the cash. He didn't spend, but he didn't invest either. The middle one was the spender, he let go of his money like it was going to go out of date. Of course, they never had that much to begin with and when they grew up and entered the work force that dynamic changed a little.

The oldest is still the investor, he invests in himself, including a Phd. Currently 27, he will hit a net worth of over a million dollars before he is 30, almost there now. The middle one doesn't spend anymore, he saves, in the stock market. And the youngest, well he makes the least money and drives the finest car, spending everything and living paycheck to paycheck.

The oldest, he is driving the economy. In fact, he has probably saved you money on your power bill. He travels the world, consults with energy companies, improves their efficiencies, and is on the cutting edge of material improvement for everything from turbines to generators. The youngest, he is driving the economy too, by spending. But the middle one, he is a drag on the economy, he contributes little, spends less, and saves everything. While you believe everyone that is wealthy fits into the oldest's category, I know for a fact, most of the wealthy are like my middle son, and none of them are like the youngest.
I notice that you ignored my point about what the "millionaires tax" did to New Jersey, Winston. Do you not have a response to that? I know people with capital. They don't willingly give it up. When politicians come looking for it with new taxes those wealthy people have already moved capital to tax shelters. They don't make as much typically as they would if they were investing that money to make an optimum profit but they protect capital.

You don't seem to understand what the stock market is...which I find remarkable since you claim expertise as an Economist.

Forum List

Back