Calling out a lefty for a dumb post about effort and where you start in life, starring Larry Correia.....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is a great take down of an idiot claiming that only the rich have a chance at life.....Larry Correia, self made man, author, accountant, gun expert....

ā€œEntrepreneurship is like one of those carnival games where you throw darts or something.
Middle class kids can afford one throw. Most miss. A few hit the target and get a small prize. A very few hit the center bullseye and get a bigger prize. Rags to riches! The American Dream lives on.
Rich kids can afford many throws. If they want to, they can try over and over and over again until they hit something and feel good about themselves. Some keep going until they hit the center bullseye, then they give speeches or write blog posts about ā€˜meritocracyā€™ and the salutary effects of hard work.
Poor kids arenā€™t visiting the carnival. Theyā€™re the ones working on it.ā€

Thatā€™s defeatist horseshit, and another great example that just because somebody crafts an analogy it doesnā€™t mean it makes sense.

I was one of the poor kids who worked that carnival. I grew up poor. And not collect a government check poor, I mean farm poor, which has all the disadvantages of being poor but with the added benefit of constant backbreaking manual labor for little to no reward. I suppose Iā€™m supposed to be bitter about that and be a good little communist or something, but instead I still got a bunch of throws at the dartboard. Go figure.

My family literally lost the farm. I moved out when I was 16 and my family moved to a different state. My first throw missed, when my own little herd of steers Iā€™d been raising in the hopes of selling for college money got tetanus and died. Oh well. Later I managed to get a scholarship because I was good at judging dairy cows in FFA. I kid you not.

I later lost that scholarship because I decided I really didnā€™t want to work with cows anymore and switched majors. I worked my way through college at various stupid grunt work or college student peon jobs. I had a new goal and new career path!

Which totally didnā€™t work out at all, I wasted a year and a half going through the application process at various agencies, finally got hiredā€¦ and that department then had emergency budget cuts and layoffs the week before I was supposed to report to POST.

Miss.

So fuck it. I got a degree, and a young wife and a new baby to take care of, letā€™s switch gears and throw a dart at the corporate world! Andā€¦ I hated my first real professional job. Despised it. Evil mega corporation. Terrible boss. Seriously, her nickname company-wide was The Harpy.

Yet I learned a ton. I picked up valuable skills. I honed my bullshit detector. And then the day I caught where a senior executive had fucked up and cost the company a quarter million dollars, and the Harpy screamed at me for doing my job (because she couldnā€™t very well yell at a department head and she had to hold somebody accountable!) I mentally checked out and the timer started for my next dart throw.

I was one of the poor kids who worked that carnival.
But the one take-away that those other kids didn't get that you--and I--got was we got a first hand look at how the dart board worked and the attendant common sense that came with it. Those moneyed folks end up circumventing that and end up like the "Harpy" in your example---unable to ascertain the real cause of problems--you know idiot democrats.

This is a great take down of an idiot claiming that only the rich have a chance at life.....Larry Correia, self made man, author, accountant, gun expert....

ā€œEntrepreneurship is like one of those carnival games where you throw darts or something.
Middle class kids can afford one throw. Most miss. A few hit the target and get a small prize. A very few hit the center bullseye and get a bigger prize. Rags to riches! The American Dream lives on.
Rich kids can afford many throws. If they want to, they can try over and over and over again until they hit something and feel good about themselves. Some keep going until they hit the center bullseye, then they give speeches or write blog posts about ā€˜meritocracyā€™ and the salutary effects of hard work.
Poor kids arenā€™t visiting the carnival. Theyā€™re the ones working on it.ā€

Thatā€™s defeatist horseshit, and another great example that just because somebody crafts an analogy it doesnā€™t mean it makes sense.

I was one of the poor kids who worked that carnival. I grew up poor. And not collect a government check poor, I mean farm poor, which has all the disadvantages of being poor but with the added benefit of constant backbreaking manual labor for little to no reward. I suppose Iā€™m supposed to be bitter about that and be a good little communist or something, but instead I still got a bunch of throws at the dartboard. Go figure.

My family literally lost the farm. I moved out when I was 16 and my family moved to a different state. My first throw missed, when my own little herd of steers Iā€™d been raising in the hopes of selling for college money got tetanus and died. Oh well. Later I managed to get a scholarship because I was good at judging dairy cows in FFA. I kid you not.

I later lost that scholarship because I decided I really didnā€™t want to work with cows anymore and switched majors. I worked my way through college at various stupid grunt work or college student peon jobs. I had a new goal and new career path!

Which totally didnā€™t work out at all, I wasted a year and a half going through the application process at various agencies, finally got hiredā€¦ and that department then had emergency budget cuts and layoffs the week before I was supposed to report to POST.

Miss.

So fuck it. I got a degree, and a young wife and a new baby to take care of, letā€™s switch gears and throw a dart at the corporate world! Andā€¦ I hated my first real professional job. Despised it. Evil mega corporation. Terrible boss. Seriously, her nickname company-wide was The Harpy.

Yet I learned a ton. I picked up valuable skills. I honed my bullshit detector. And then the day I caught where a senior executive had fucked up and cost the company a quarter million dollars, and the Harpy screamed at me for doing my job (because she couldnā€™t very well yell at a department head and she had to hold somebody accountable!) I mentally checked out and the timer started for my next dart throw.

Immaculate cut and paste skills, as always. Good Job.

Forum List

Back