Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
I didn't know dat...

350px-Martin-Luther-King-1964-leaning-on-a-lectern.jpg

Call Him Reverend King

January 20, 2014
By Kevin Jackson

You probably don't know who Reverend Michael King, Jr was.

That's because Reverend Michael King, Jr is the only private citizen to have a national holiday in his honor, and is Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

King's father changed his and his son's names to Martin Luther in honor of the German reformer, Martin Luther.

So why is Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr, now referred to as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr?

It's simple.

The Left wants no remnants of the Christian revolution that changed this country. They want to make people forget that the biggest change to happen to American since the Civil War was led by a black Christian who was also a Republican.

Referring to King as "Dr. King" implies that the Civil Rights movement was led by an academic, that academia brought us "change we can believe in."

Liberals believe in their educations, even if they have not a lick of practical experience or even common sense. Ph.D. King can lead a revolution, but a Republican pastor cannot be put in charge. That role is exclusively for black demagogues and fake reverends.

"Reverend" Jesse Jackson has no degree in Divinity. Jackson is a theology school dropout, having left the Chicago Theological Seminary in 1966 to "focus full-time on the civil rights movement." I think he meant the Civil Unrest movement.

As for "Reverend" Al Sharpton, he never even attended seminary. Sharpton attended Brooklyn College and dropped out in 1975, after just two years. But Sharpton did something better. He was befriended and mentored by "Reverend" Jackson.

Here is a quote from black Liberals' holy man Sharpton about his influences:

"What I do functionally is what Dr. King, Reverend Jackson and the movement are all about; but I learned manhood from James Brown. I always say that James Brown taught me how to be a man."

Two college dropouts who have "honorary" titles. With credentials like Jackson and Sharpton, anybody can call themselves a "reverend." Hell, even Elizabeth Warren can be a reverend, as I'm sure she has thought about church or driven by one on her way to the university.

Read more: Articles: Call Him Reverend King
Follow us: [MENTION=20123]American[/MENTION]Thinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Last edited:
Many moons ago I was taught that the term, Reverend, is not actually a title, but a description.

Should I call you "Reverend"?

Nov 02, 2010 by Adam J. Copeland

"Should I call you 'Reverend'?" someone asked me recently. I paused for a moment, thinking a million thoughts at once. I'm not much of a fan of the "reverend" title, in part because of its problematic grammar but mostly because I don't want to be revered.

"Reverend" isn't actually a title at all; it's what's called a style. It's similar to calling a judge "the Honorable John Doe," and some grammarians get their stoles in a twist if "reverend" occurs without the officially correct "the" before it.

More importantly, "reverend" isn't a noun synonymous with "pastor"; it's an adjective that means "deserving reverence." When someone calls me "Rev. Adam," the absent definite article bothers me a lot less than the fact that I'm being called "revered" just because I happen to be ordained. I'd rather earn respect than be given it by default.

Maybe I wimped out, but I went ahead and told the person who asked that I'm happy just being called "Adam," but if she's more comfortable with "Reverend," that's fine too. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet--or as sour.

Do you call your pastor "Reverend"? Why or why not? And pastors, what do you prefer to be called?

Should I call you "Reverend"? | The Christian Century

I wasn't aware that people refused to address him as Martin Luther.

And let's pretend that the person in the FBI investigating him wasn't a Republican, and that the president presiding over those investigations wasn't either.

You partisan tool.

It was his father who had folks call him Martin.

MLK Jr was so named on his birth certificate.

Although the hate is late it still wait.

You crazy sheep.

Is not putting the title "Reverend" in the name of a national holiday an unconstitutional assault on that once-great document and all it stood for? Y'know, separation of church and state?

Dr. Martin Luther King is referred to as "Dr." because he has a PhD in Theology. It is customary to use the Dr. prefix, even if you're a Baptist Minister. He often referred to as "The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr."

The technicality of what his "real" name is pointless - Martin Luther King Jr. was the name his father chose for him, so it's the name I'll call him.

Judge a man by what he does. That is so right ;)

Now I can take that and judge most of communities males for not caring about their children and being bums. Thank you MLK. Truly the people that most need to listen to mlk are his own people.

I didn't know dat...

350px-Martin-Luther-King-1964-leaning-on-a-lectern.jpg

Call Him Reverend King

January 20, 2014
By Kevin Jackson

You probably don't know who Reverend Michael King, Jr was.

That's because Reverend Michael King, Jr is the only private citizen to have a national holiday in his honor, and is Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

King's father changed his and his son's names to Martin Luther in honor of the German reformer, Martin Luther.

So why is Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr, now referred to as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr?

It's simple.

The Left wants no remnants of the Christian revolution that changed this country. They want to make people forget that the biggest change to happen to American since the Civil War was led by a black Christian who was also a Republican.

Referring to King as "Dr. King" implies that the Civil Rights movement was led by an academic, that academia brought us "change we can believe in."

Liberals believe in their educations, even if they have not a lick of practical experience or even common sense. Ph.D. King can lead a revolution, but a Republican pastor cannot be put in charge. That role is exclusively for black demagogues and fake reverends.

"Reverend" Jesse Jackson has no degree in Divinity. Jackson is a theology school dropout, having left the Chicago Theological Seminary in 1966 to "focus full-time on the civil rights movement." I think he meant the Civil Unrest movement.

As for "Reverend" Al Sharpton, he never even attended seminary. Sharpton attended Brooklyn College and dropped out in 1975, after just two years. But Sharpton did something better. He was befriended and mentored by "Reverend" Jackson.

Here is a quote from black Liberals' holy man Sharpton about his influences:

"What I do functionally is what Dr. King, Reverend Jackson and the movement are all about; but I learned manhood from James Brown. I always say that James Brown taught me how to be a man."

Two college dropouts who have "honorary" titles. With credentials like Jackson and Sharpton, anybody can call themselves a "reverend." Hell, even Elizabeth Warren can be a reverend, as I'm sure she has thought about church or driven by one on her way to the university.

Read more: Articles: Call Him Reverend King
Follow us: [MENTION=20123]American[/MENTION]Thinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

He is called "Dr" because he received his PhD from Boston Univ in 1965. Usually the greater prefix is used. "Dr" is typically seen as a greater achievement than "Rev".

What kind of Doctor or Reverend beats up on women?

Spouse abuse covers all the socio-economic ranges. I am sure plenty of Drs and Revs have hit their significant others. That does not excuse any of them. But don't pretend it is anything with Dr. King.

From Martin Luther King to Obama

January 21, 2014 by Daniel Greenfield

ob4.jpg

At the start of his first term, he had the approval of 62 percent of independent voters. Today he has the approval of less than half that number. Only his support from his own party has remained unchanged.

Any honest politician would put those numbers down to his actions, but Obama always takes refuge in race, telling Remnick, “There is a historic connection between some of the arguments that we have politically and the history of race in our country, and sometimes it’s hard to disentangle those issues.”

Few men knew that history better than the black Republican minister who stood on the steps of a memorial to the Republican president who ended the Democratic Party’s institution of slavery and, with a resonance that echoes across time, said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

The post-equality civil rights movement of the left has long since buried that dream, exchanging it for a nightmare of calculated racial inequalities where your race is what you will be judged by when you apply for college, apply for a job or face low approval ratings after your national health care scheme explodes into a broken $600 million website and millions of angry people who have lost their health insurance and are being forced to pay more money for fewer benefits.

The media treated Obama’s victory as the fulfillment of Martin Luther King Jr’s legacy when it was actually the inversion of it. King had never wanted a country where votes were cast based on race instead of character and where failed policies were excused because of the race of the politician.

King called for a culture of character, while Obama represents the post-equality civil rights culture of grievance. He called for an end to racial divisiveness, while Obama and his political collaborators have weaponized racial division as a political strategy.

Obama and the left’s gang of poverty pimps and politically correct organizers hijacked King’s dream of the equality of character over the inequality of grievance. It’s up to the American people to take it back.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/from-martin-luther-king-to-obama/

Forum List

Back