California will close State Parks But Fund Illegals education

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
:cuckoo:

Planned 2011 State Park Closures

On May 13th, the Department of Parks and Recreation released their proposed list of park closures due to a $22 million general fund budget cut.

Below you can click on the names of the parks, or the map markers, to see a description of what will be lost if these parks are allowed to close.

Summer of Action

California bill to fund college for illegal immigrants advances

A California bill dubbed the state's "Dream Act" that would allow illegal immigrants to receive public funds for college education was approved on Wednesday by the state Senate.

The legislation would still need to pass the Assembly and be signed by Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, to become law.

Proponents acknowledge that illegal immigrants who attend college are still not able to find legal employment after graduation, but they say the bill could eventually help spur the federal government to grant those students citizenship.

"The Senate made history today by voting to pass ... the final portion of the California Dream Act," Assembly member Gil Cedillo, a Democrat from Los Angeles and the author of the bill, said in a statement.

Cedillo said that, if the bill is approved, it would "increase the earning potential of these students, which helps all of us by contributing to our tax base."

Brown in July fulfilled a campaign promise by signing into law a related bill to allow illegal immigrants to receive privately funded college scholarships, but not public funds.

The latest bill would go into effect in 2013 and could cost the California budget about $40 million a year

California bill to fund college for illegal immigrants advances | Reuters

On May 13th, the Department of Parks and Recreation released their proposed list of park closures due to a $22 million general fund budget cut.

Below you can click on the names of the parks, or the map markers, to see a description of what will be lost if these parks are allowed to close.
Summer of Action

A California bill dubbed the state's "Dream Act" that would allow illegal immigrants to receive public funds for college education was approved on Wednesday by the state Senate.

The legislation would still need to pass the Assembly and be signed by Governor Jerry Brown, a Democrat, to become law.

Proponents acknowledge that illegal immigrants who attend college are still not able to find legal employment after graduation, but they say the bill could eventually help spur the federal government to grant those students citizenship.

"The Senate made history today by voting to pass ... the final portion of the California Dream Act," Assembly member Gil Cedillo, a Democrat from Los Angeles and the author of the bill, said in a statement.

Cedillo said that, if the bill is approved, it would "increase the earning potential of these students, which helps all of us by contributing to our tax base."

Brown in July fulfilled a campaign promise by signing into law a related bill to allow illegal immigrants to receive privately funded college scholarships, but not public funds.

The latest bill would go into effect in 2013 and could cost the California budget about $40 million a year
JRoc, I looked for a link listing the 70 State Parks, but this page was all I could find, and the ones mentioned do not number 70, at least, I don't think so. I'll go back and see if I can make my own list from the link.

Redwood forests, beaches, coastal woodlands and some of the state's most important cultural and historic sites will be closed, and as many as 220 jobs will be eliminated as a result of the state budget cuts recently signed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Among the popular Bay Area sites that will be closed to the public are China Camp and Samuel P. Taylor state parks, Candlestick Point State Recreation Area and Jack London State Historic Park.

California, which created its state park system in 1864, has more parks than any other state. They cover 1.5 million acres, including 280 miles of coastline and 625 miles of lake and riverfront. Only Alaska has more land, 3.2 million acres, devoted to state parks.

Not a single Southern California beach will be closed, but 40 percent of the state historic parks, including the old governor's mansion in Sacramento, will be, Goldstein said. Nine parks with significant stands of redwoods will also be off-limits, including Samuel P. Taylor, Portola Redwoods State Park, Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park and Hendy Woods State Park.

Link

If that had been a Republican Governor and not Jerry Brown, there would be trouble in paradise. One of the few pleasures average people have is the park system, and the planners of this California system back in 1868 would probably be rolling over in their graves if they knew what their effort would come to. Sad day to our fellow Americans in California.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the board, Jroc.

I have mixed emotions on this.

There is the fiscal conservative in me that says government cannot continue to tax the unwilling--taxation without representation and all that--for non essentials and we simply cannot continue spend beyond our means until we can't even keep the essential things running. So, if the state cannot keep the parks open they should close them; however, the people themselves who value those parks could also start fund drives to keep them open as a private initiative. Communities do it all the time to save a school or a library or a sports complex for the youth etc.

And then there is the suspicious jaded part of me that knows the state will continue to spend money on other non essentials because it is politically correct to do so. And it chooses someting that is particularly dear to people to cut as a ploy to get get them to agree to new taxes without putting up a fuss.

If I was governor, I would list all the things the government does that it does not absolutely have to do along with the cost to do those things, publish the amount that has to be cut, and let the people pick and choose which they want to keep and which they are more willing to let go.

Okay, maybe that isn't practical, but wouldn't it be interesting to see how that would go?

Summer of Action

JRoc, I looked for a link listing the 70 State Parks, but this page was all I could find, and the ones mentioned do not number 70, at least, I don't think so. I'll go back and see if I can make my own list from the link.

Redwood forests, beaches, coastal woodlands and some of the state's most important cultural and historic sites will be closed, and as many as 220 jobs will be eliminated as a result of the state budget cuts recently signed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

Among the popular Bay Area sites that will be closed to the public are China Camp and Samuel P. Taylor state parks, Candlestick Point State Recreation Area and Jack London State Historic Park.

California, which created its state park system in 1864, has more parks than any other state. They cover 1.5 million acres, including 280 miles of coastline and 625 miles of lake and riverfront. Only Alaska has more land, 3.2 million acres, devoted to state parks.

Not a single Southern California beach will be closed, but 40 percent of the state historic parks, including the old governor's mansion in Sacramento, will be, Goldstein said. Nine parks with significant stands of redwoods will also be off-limits, including Samuel P. Taylor, Portola Redwoods State Park, Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Grizzly Creek Redwoods State Park and Hendy Woods State Park.

Link

If that had been a Republican Governor and not Jerry Brown, there would be trouble in paradise. One of the few pleasures average people have is the park system, and the planners of this California system back in 1868 would probably be rolling over in their graves if they knew what their effort would come to. Sad day to our fellow Americans in California.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the board, Jroc.

I think 70 was the estimate in the original proposal, but that has been trimmed down a bit. Still save 22 million then spend forty million on something the people don't.:cuckoo:

I have mixed emotions on this.

There is the fiscal conservative in me that says government cannot continue to tax the unwilling--taxation without representation and all that--for non essentials and we simply cannot continue spend beyond our means until we can't even keep the essential things running. So, if the state cannot keep the parks open they should close them; however, the people themselves who value those parks could also start fund drives to keep them open as a private initiative. Communities do it all the time to save a school or a library or a sports complex for the youth etc.

And then there is the suspicious jaded part of me that knows the state will continue to spend money on other non essentials because it is politically correct to do so. And it chooses someting that is particularly dear to people to cut as a ploy to get get them to agree to new taxes without putting up a fuss.

If I was governor, I would list all the things the government does that it does not absolutely have to do along with the cost to do those things, publish the amount that has to be cut, and let the people pick and choose which they want to keep and which they are more willing to let go.

Okay, maybe that isn't practical, but wouldn't it be interesting to see how that would go?

Yep....My point was simply If they have to close those parks or get private financing fine, but to then spend even more money on people that are not even in the country legally? :cuckoo:

Many of those parks are in the process of being turned over (for management/maintenance) to local groups with interests in preserving the history of their local area and also interest in the business tourists bring to their Obamaized economies. Better, those parks would be sold to local interests and run on a self-sustaining commercial business. Should that not work the sites could be cleared and sold for development. In a perfect world, sold to entities that would start job producing businesses. But we all know that doesn't fit either California's or Obama's agenda so the hope is forlorn.

"California will close State Parks But Fund Illeagals education"

I am more concerned with our education system. Perhaps you should be as well. :eusa_whistle:

The Redwood Forest is the one that concerns me. That's an International treasure, considering that some of those trees stood when the Great Pyramids were being built.

I am more concerned with our education system. Perhaps you should be as well. :eusa_whistle:

Ok....So how does funding illegals at the expense of American citizens improve education genius?:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Some years The People's Republic of California purchased an entire headland in Mendocino County from the long-time owner who had allowed the public to use the hiking trails it had.

Then they spent several more million to erect a fence to keep people from using the trails and another million or two on signs that read (yes, they maintain them annually):

PUBLIC PROPERTY
Keep Out

The stupidity of California is proven by their continual re-election of the turds
who do this stuff.

Some years The People's Republic of California purchased an entire headland in Mendocino County from the long-time owner who had allowed the public to use the hiking trails it had.

Then they spent several more million to erect a fence to keep people from using the trails and another million or two on signs that read (yes, they maintain them annually):

PUBLIC PROPERTY
Keep Out

The stupidity of California is proven by their continual re-election of the turds
who do this stuff.

So they build a fence to keep American citizens off public lands, but they don't want a fence to keep illegals from entering the country illegally.:cuckoo:

What concerns me is that we spend money on illegals...period. Other then jails and deportation we should not be funding them at all.

If the state has money for illegals education...they should not be whining about school not having enough money at all.

Given the choice of illegals and our state parks. I choose my state parks.

If Hispanics were serious about education it would show in their own countries.

Summer of Action

I Heard they have studies that show the losses do to damage from Vandalism and lost Fee's will actually cost more than the 20 Million they hope to save by closing them.

Let's see how Governor Perry handled the situation in Texas.......

The number of illegal immigrant college students paying in-state tuition and receiving financial aid at Texas' public colleges and universities continues to climb, according to state higher education records.

During the fall semester, 12,138 students - about 1 percent of all Texas college students - benefited from the state law granting in-state tuition, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Most of the immigrants among those students are illegal, and some others are not legal permanent residents or U.S. citizens

Texas awarded about $33.6 million in state and institutional financial aid to those students between fall 2004 and summer 2008.

Even so, Gov. Rick Perry supports the law aiding illegal immigrant students. In a recent debate, he said the students are on the path to citizenship.

Number of illegal immigrants getting in-state tuition for Texas colleges rises | Dallas-Fort Worth Education News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

I would be too. California used to be number ONE in education in the world. now because of the huge illegal populations and the decrease in revenue and the huge deficit the education in California is in the shitter. Illeagls aren't good for anyone.

Forum List

Back