California to impose a $100 per container per day fine on the cargo ships off the coast. I can see a mad rush to Florida coming.

If somehow this does cause the ships to leave the California ports...

Then the ships will head to a Mexican port and truck the goods across the border. They really would rather not. Double the import fees.

Would still be cheaper than waiting for the Progressives to do something.
The import taxes and docking fees are huge...a huge portion of the Government's income comes from these taxes and fees.

And since the storage company is more than willing to rent space for containers I don't see much coming from this.

As you said up above.
You sure seemed to be defending the Cal government and put the blame on the trucking industry...Maybe next time you should come right out saying that it is the fault of the Progressive government....
I have had 40,000 lbs. of frozen chicken sitting on limited dock space, pulled out of the blast freezer because a truck was supposed to already be there, when it hadn't been sent, and I had to put 40,000 lbs of fresh pork bellies into the blast for 24 hour freeze out, with a USDA guy breathing down my neck. It was ugly. Similar things happened on occasion when I was in the middle being lied to, and I'd have beat the sh#t out of that broker if I could've got my hands on him. If you can't depend on people doing what they say they can and will do, you can end up with your ass flapping in the wind and somebody ought to pay. You learn to an extent who you can trust and who you can't, but the bigger the operation, the more people you have to trust and generally have more trouble with independent brokered operators than company operations, as they are in a position similar to yours and don't over commit. This is similar to what is going on out there, just not predominantly frozen foods. Three-dimensional space is three-dimensional space and if you are efficient, you are using close to the cube of space allowed.

Thanks!

Here's what I know....when we manufactured shoes i n China ourselves, we opened a letter of credit to the factory, for the goods made there. It took 3 to 6 months to land the goods in to our distribution center warehouse. Our comptroller, got notice when the China factory was shipping the goods etc.... His team was in charge of getting our goods to our warehouse, when we product developers and merchandisers needed them delivered. Sometimes or most of the time, we would ship them, but on an occasion we would fly them, if the order was running late and if we were in urgent need to fill customer orders....way back when, it was about a dollar more a pair to fly them vs via boating them, and we usually got the manufacturer to spit that extra cost if they were the ones that caused the product to be late.

Normally we paid for the cost of goods, plus the shipping by boat, plus the duties/custom fees, plus the cost to Truck them to our warehouse from the port they arrived in.

When the comptroller got notice from the factory in China that the order was complete and on a ship on the way here, with all the information on our container number and ship name, arrival date etc, he arranged with a US trucking company, to have the goods picked up at the port, and trucked to us.

Note! Once the goods leaves the factory, the letter of credit is exercised, and the China factory/the manyfacturer, is paid.

So, with that in mind....and knowing the term, Time is money.... this is really costing the USa wholesale businesses, a lot of money....not China, other than maybe China's shipping companies? Most of those delayed costs are on USA vendors, who will pass some of it if not all of these delay costs etc, on to the retailers buying the vendors goods, then on to the customer.... Causing inflation...or causing less in profit for the retailer if they choose to eat the cost of goods hike....(which could happen for various other merchandising reasons)

If I were the people being fined $100 a day for the container sitting there, I'd way that cost with hiring more peop!e at a higher wage in order to attract more of them to the job....
Yep. Complicated crap that the end consumer never sees.

I have had 40,000 lbs. of frozen chicken sitting on limited dock space, pulled out of the blast freezer because a truck was supposed to already be there, when it hadn't been sent, and I had to put 40,000 lbs of fresh pork bellies into the blast for 24 hour freeze out, with a USDA guy breathing down my neck. It was ugly. Similar things happened on occasion when I was in the middle being lied to, and I'd have beat the sh#t out of that broker if I could've got my hands on him. If you can't depend on people doing what they say they can and will do, you can end up with your ass flapping in the wind and somebody ought to pay. You learn to an extent who you can trust and who you can't, but the bigger the operation, the more people you have to trust and generally have more trouble with independent brokered operators than company operations, as they are in a position similar to yours and don't over commit. This is similar to what is going on out there, just not predominantly frozen foods. Three-dimensional space is three-dimensional space and if you are efficient, you are using close to the cube of space allowed.
You learn to an extent who you can trust and who you can't,
After years of watching the failures of progressives, i know exactly who i cant trust. Just ask those US citizens left to die in Afghanistan...

Any ships waiting at the California ports, likely won't leave, its way too complicated, considering each one of those containers on a ship could belong to a different business, and they all have different truckers scheduled to pick up the load and all different warehousing destinations....

But any future ships, leaving China could be routed through Miami's port, as their F.O.B. Port destination. Ships from China that have left the past month, knowing the problems occurring in California, have likely already chosen other US ports as their port of entry.

California ports resort to $100-per-container fines to get shipping firms to move cargo from clogged-up docks, as a record number of ships wait off the coast
  • California ports will start fining shipping firms if they don't clear containers in time.
  • Containers will be allowed to stay on the docks for between three to nine days without accruing fines.
  • The idea is to ease port jams and allow the record number of ships stuck off the coast to dock.
The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will begin fining shipping companies $100 a day for every container left on the docks.

The idea is to put greater pressure on shipping companies to move cargo from docks to help ease port jams, enabling the record number of ships that are stuck at anchor to dock and unload new containers.

So you have a trucker shortage where even if the cargo was taken off, it will just sit in the port getting stacked higher and higher(very dangerous), yet Californication thinks that punishing the cargo companies will make them work faster. All it will do it move the ships to Florida, where there is no jam, no fines, and no progressive stupidity....

View attachment 556468

Man, you just can't fix stupid can you. Cali is going to be in a world of hurt.

Good for them!

Any ships waiting at the California ports, likely won't leave, its way too complicated, considering each one of those containers on a ship could belong to a different business, and they all have different truckers scheduled to pick up the load and all different warehousing destinations....

But any future ships, leaving China could be routed through Miami's port, as their F.O.B. Port destination. Ships from China that have left the past month, knowing the problems occurring in California, have likely already chosen other US ports as their port of entry.

Bullshit. I am surprised they have waited as long as they have, it costs them 100,000 a day to just sit there. Of course most of those problems are Dem caused, so enjoy the suck!

California ports resort to $100-per-container fines to get shipping firms to move cargo from clogged-up docks, as a record number of ships wait off the coast
  • California ports will start fining shipping firms if they don't clear containers in time.
  • Containers will be allowed to stay on the docks for between three to nine days without accruing fines.
  • The idea is to ease port jams and allow the record number of ships stuck off the coast to dock.
The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will begin fining shipping companies $100 a day for every container left on the docks.

The idea is to put greater pressure on shipping companies to move cargo from docks to help ease port jams, enabling the record number of ships that are stuck at anchor to dock and unload new containers.

So you have a trucker shortage where even if the cargo was taken off, it will just sit in the port getting stacked higher and higher(very dangerous), yet Californication thinks that punishing the cargo companies will make them work faster. All it will do it move the ships to Florida, where there is no jam, no fines, and no progressive stupidity....

View attachment 556468
Maybe if they go to Florida, the cargo will get to the rest of the country. I'm sure all truckers would be happy not to deal with Cal. (Newsomes) idiotic laws.ie truckers must work for a Cal. comp. must pay taxes for working in Cal. What a bunch of crap. The truckers that are left ,deserve better. Biden or is adm. don't know how to solve what they fucked up Ho wait maybe they can print more money to pay illegals .

Leave it up to a progressive slave to try to deter from the FACTS why all the crates are just sitting in the docks of Californication. Misery is the way of the left, it always is, so what better way to make people miserable, than to make it harder by denying simple things, that are stuck in the containers..

And if they do impose that $100 fine per day, all those goods sitting there, that fine will be added to the costs of goods, thus causing more inflation. You progs never learn do you?

Florida ports can't handle the volume.. and some cargo would still have to be trucked cross country.

View attachment 556468

Andaronjim, the title of your discussion thread indicates that you did not understand your provided linked article. You apparently even misunderstood that article's title.

California is taking a reasonable step to reduce the traffic jams on its docks. It is not within its power to cure our entire nation's virus pandemic. I perceive that the new regulation will be of net benefit to those California ports, and of no net detriment to the state or our nation.
Apparently your dislike for President Biden, and/or the Democratic Party, and/or the government of the United states, to an extent that you're unable to reason logically. Respectfully, Supposn

There are ports all over the east and west coast... even into Baja California and north into Portland and Seattle.

Plenty of places to go besides California.

Most cargo ships are fast these days...
10 days from field to the table is the norm for fresh produce.

But charging just for a cargo ship to sit off the coast...that's just wrong.

Bullshit. I am surprised they have waited as long as they have, it costs them 100,000 a day to just sit there. Of course most of those problems are Dem caused, so enjoy the suck!

Its NOT $100K per day.. Its $100 per day.

... But charging just for a cargo ship to sit off the coast...that's just wrong.
Andaronjim, the title of your discussion thread indicates that you did not understand your provided linked article. You apparently even misunderstood that article's title. ...
JohnDB, no one's charging just for a cargo ship to sit off the coast [of California]. Respectfully, Supposn

Florida ports can't handle the volume.. and some cargo would still have to be trucked cross country.
Keep telling yourself that Surada---I live in Florida---and we are seeing all sorts of vehicles filling up our highways including a bunch of new trucks.

I wish the idiotic dems would stop pulling their stunts---Florida is overheating. House prices have double/tripled, people are everywhere, Highways are full, Exits are packed, construction everywhere, people everywhere....employees in high high demand which is hurting small businesses.

Keep telling yourself that Surada---I live in Florida---and we are seeing all sorts of vehicles filling up our highways including a bunch of new trucks.

I wish the idiotic dems would stop pulling their stunts---Florida is overheating. House prices have double/tripled, people are everywhere, Highways are full, Exits are packed, construction everywhere, people everywhere....employees in high high demand which is hurting small businesses.
Turtlesoup, are you complaining because Floridan economy's improving or deteriorating?
Is an improving or a deteriorating state economy of greater or lesser damage to Floridan small businesses? Are you a typical Floridian? Do Floridians' know what they want or is it just you that's confused? Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back