California Gripped By Driest Year Ever — With No Relief In Sight

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
California Gripped By Driest Year Ever — With No Relief In Sight

As California enters its third consecutive dry winter, with no sign of moisture on the horizon, fears are growing over increased wildfire activity, agricultural losses, and additional stress placed on already strained water supplies.

The city of Los Angeles has received only 3.6 inches of rain this year — far below its average of 14.91 inches, USA Today reported. And San Francisco is experiencing its driest year since recordkeeping began in 1849. As of November, the city had only received 3.95 inches of rain since the year began.

The state is enduring its driest year on record and while a drought emergency has not yet been officially declared, the U.S. National Drought Monitor shows that as of December 24, nearly the entire state is gripped by severe to extreme drought conditions.

The portion of the state currently hit hardest by drought includes the Central Valley, a prime agricultural area, and “a lack of rain and snow this winter could bring catastrophic losses to California agriculture, as water allotments are slashed by state agencies,” USA Today reported.

The lack of precipitation is also extending what’s been a devastating wildfire season in California. According to AccuWeather, fire season usually tapers off in the fall and December marks the beginning of the wet season, which usually extends through March. This year, however, looks to be different. “It will remain dry through February and probably early March in California,” Lead Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said. “It’s possible that a system or two could reach the state, but not enough to put a dent in the drought.”
California Gripped By Driest Year Ever -- With No Relief In Sight | ThinkProgress

Um...maybe in LA but we had more rain in October and November, parts of december than ever before and I am on the central coast.

And...if my nose is correct....them thar clouds out yonder in the west...looks like we may be getting some tonight or tomorrow. How much, I dunno. But pretty sure my sniffer is better than the forecast people....who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Whatever the pacific wants to do, it does, and it doesn't inform anyone what it's intentions are. :lol:

driest year in a 120 years, how about in 121 years, or what about since the first mission was built by the spanish

and if its so dry, why is the california democrats in charge approving solar projects in the desert that require water.

driest year in a 120 years, how about in 121 years, or what about since the first mission was built by the spanish

and if its so dry, why is the california democrats in charge approving solar projects in the desert that require water.

Really? Require water? In what way? And you do realize what drives the turbined in a coal fired plant, don't you? Then again, maybe you don't.

Really? Require water? In what way? And you do realize what drives the turbined in a coal fired plant, don't you? Then again, maybe you don't.

I think he's referring to the Solar tower thermal plants. They DO sap water from the desert enviroment.

No relief in sight? Surely there must be some relief in the forseeable future. The east coast is suffering through a "typical?" geological event of too much rain. Should we use the event to gain political advantage and blame republicans or consider that the world was created more than a hundred and twenty years ago?

We were told a couple of years ago that California was going to enter a period of low rainfall. It has a few more years to go before the predicted end.

Right on! Records from the missions show there were major droughts in various parts of the state in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

They were also spotty. One part of the state would get lots of rain while another would go dry. The only thing that saved the missions were the amazing zanjasor irrigation systems that carried water from miles away to the fountains and gardens. I'm always astonished that men whose main vocation was preaching their religion came up with some truly impressive construction projects - teaching how to make them to Stone Age Indians.

Lol, it never ends. It's like playing Whack-A-Mole. When you debunk one AGW claim two more pop up someplace else.

If there is drought, it's global warming.
If there is flooding, it's global warming.
If it is hot, it's global warming.
If it is cold, it's global warming.
Hurricanes? it's global warming.
No hurricanes? it's global warming.

It's a scam people, plain as day.

Agriculture has long sucked that state dry. Draining aquifers, rivers, streams. But why waste an opportunity to blame hydrocarbons?

So you blame food?

I place blame and accountability at the feet of agriculture for their practices, government agencies that allow rampant unchecked pollution, and an indifferent public that give the industry a pass while castigating other industries that are over-regulated.

Agriculture has long sucked that state dry. Draining aquifers, rivers, streams. But why waste an opportunity to blame hydrocarbons?

So you blame food?

I place blame and accountability at the feet of agriculture for their practices, government agencies that allow rampant unchecked pollution, and an indifferent public that give the industry a pass while castigating other industries that are over-regulated.

Let's blame food!

So you blame food?

Which 'over-regulated' do you write of?

...so what can we do about it, pray to Tlaloc?

I think we need Cthulhu for this one.

Kraken-cthulhu.jpg

Forum List

Back