California city bans renting to illegal aliens

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
This took place about 15 miles from my house. One of the better parts of the story hasn't been told.

One of the Escondido City Council members is a man who owns a gas station in the town. He voted to pass the ordinance banning illegals from housing. The illegal-alien supporters dug around for any info they could find on the city councilmen, and found this fellow was the owner.

So when the ordinance was passed, the illegal-alien supporters vowed revenge, of course. They went around telling everyone they could find, not to patronize the councilman's gas station. They wanted to run him out of business.

So, several hours after the vote, a local TV station went to the station to see how the boycott was doing. And they found.....

Lines of cars stretching from the gas station, around the block, down the street, with people cheerily waiting to fill up, ONLY AT THAT STATION. They have been coming from Escondido, and from other towns up to 50 miles away, to show exactly wht they think of the illegal-alien supporters and their "cause". The guy is doing tremendous business, all because the disgruntled illegal-supporters publicized his ownership and broadcast WHY they wanted him hurt.

Boy, those illegal-alien supporters sure know how to back the right horse, don't they?

(Not!)

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20061019-9999-7m19ecoun.html

Rental ban for illegal immigrants enacted
Escondido council votes 3-2 to approve ordinance

By J. Harry Jones
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

by CRISSY PASCUAL
San Diego Union-Tribune
October 19, 2006

ESCONDIDO – With supporters calling it a historic day for the city and the United States, the City Council voted 3-2 yesterday to enact an ordinance that prohibits landlords from renting to illegal immigrants.

In so doing, Escondido becomes the largest city in the nation to pass such a law, which opponents say will be challenged in court and hope never will be enforced. The ordinance is set to take effect Nov. 18, but opponents, including the American Civil Liberties Union, are working on a lawsuit that likely will seek an injunction prohibiting enforcement until the issue is litigated.

“This ordinance will undoubtedly improve our image, our reputation, and certainly our quality of life,” Councilman Sam Abed said.

Abed and council members Marie Waldron and Ed Gallo voted for the measure. Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler and Councilman Ron Newman voted against it.

Newman said the ordinance is flawed in many ways, hasn't been thought out, and probably is unenforceable. Pfeiler said all agree that illegal immigration is a problem, but that the ordinance “is going to have neighbor against neighbor” and is inhumane.

In contrast to two earlier council meetings on the subject that attracted hundreds to the council chambers, about 100 people attended yesterday's second reading of the ordinance.

More than 100 police officers and sheriff's deputies provided security. After the vote, after someone ran outside and screamed, “The USA wins!” officers wearing protective gear separated opponents and supporters who shouted at each other for about 30 minutes.

The council meeting was briefly interrupted when one Latino man loudly accused a white man sitting next to him of taking his picture with a hand-held video camera. Police removed both men quickly. Each accused the other of assault, Escondido police Lt. David Mankin said. Neither was arrested.

Public speakers, many of them impassioned, were given one minute to talk.
“Either you are incompetent or malicious,” Olga Diaz said. “You have violated the trust of this community. Hell, we don't even have a community anymore.”

Diaz is one of seven candidates running for City Council, which has two open seats, including one held by Waldron, who is seeking re-election.

Others spoke strongly in favor of the ordinance. One woman called Newman and Pfeiler “traitors to this country.”

The ordinance allows the city to suspend business licenses and fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants.

Under the ordinance, a complaint not based on race or ethnicity can be filed by a resident, business or city official. The landlord then would be required to provide papers indicating the immigration status of his of her tenants, which the city would ask the federal government to verify. If determined to be in the country illegally, the tenants would have to move within 10 business days.

Officials said that in the past two weeks, of the 208 phone calls to the city regarding the issue, all but six have been in support. E-mails have been running about 95 percent in favor.

Abed said he expects a “national defense team” of lawyers will donate their time to help the city fight any lawsuits generated by the ordinance.

Waldron said: “Some say the cost to defend this is too much. Hogwash! . . . We need to take control of our own communities.”

Finally someone with some balls. This is what its going to take. Local city councilmen taking care of business in their own backyard all over the country. The Federal Government has show an unwillingness to tackle the problem so the roots will have to take care of business little by little.

This took place about 15 miles from my house. One of the better parts of the story hasn't been told.

One of the Escondido City Council members is a man who owns a gas station in the town. He voted to pass the ordinance banning illegals from housing. The illegal-alien supporters dug around for any info they could find on the city councilmen, and found this fellow was the owner.

So when the ordinance was passed, the illegal-alien supporters vowed revenge, of course. They went around telling everyone they could find, not to patronize the councilman's gas station. They wanted to run him out of business.

So, several hours after the vote, a local TV station went to the station to see how the boycott was doing. And they found.....

Lines of cars stretching from the gas station, around the block, down the street, with people cheerily waiting to fill up, ONLY AT THAT STATION. They have been coming from Escondido, and from other towns up to 50 miles away, to show exactly wht they think of the illegal-alien supporters and their "cause". The guy is doing tremendous business, all because the disgruntled illegal-supporters publicized his ownership and broadcast WHY they wanted him hurt.

Boy, those illegal-alien supporters sure know how to back the right horse, don't they?

(Not!)

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20061019-9999-7m19ecoun.html

Rental ban for illegal immigrants enacted
Escondido council votes 3-2 to approve ordinance

By J. Harry Jones
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

by CRISSY PASCUAL
San Diego Union-Tribune
October 19, 2006

ESCONDIDO – With supporters calling it a historic day for the city and the United States, the City Council voted 3-2 yesterday to enact an ordinance that prohibits landlords from renting to illegal immigrants.

In so doing, Escondido becomes the largest city in the nation to pass such a law, which opponents say will be challenged in court and hope never will be enforced. The ordinance is set to take effect Nov. 18, but opponents, including the American Civil Liberties Union, are working on a lawsuit that likely will seek an injunction prohibiting enforcement until the issue is litigated.

“This ordinance will undoubtedly improve our image, our reputation, and certainly our quality of life,” Councilman Sam Abed said.

Abed and council members Marie Waldron and Ed Gallo voted for the measure. Mayor Lori Holt Pfeiler and Councilman Ron Newman voted against it.

Newman said the ordinance is flawed in many ways, hasn't been thought out, and probably is unenforceable. Pfeiler said all agree that illegal immigration is a problem, but that the ordinance “is going to have neighbor against neighbor” and is inhumane.

In contrast to two earlier council meetings on the subject that attracted hundreds to the council chambers, about 100 people attended yesterday's second reading of the ordinance.

More than 100 police officers and sheriff's deputies provided security. After the vote, after someone ran outside and screamed, “The USA wins!” officers wearing protective gear separated opponents and supporters who shouted at each other for about 30 minutes.

The council meeting was briefly interrupted when one Latino man loudly accused a white man sitting next to him of taking his picture with a hand-held video camera. Police removed both men quickly. Each accused the other of assault, Escondido police Lt. David Mankin said. Neither was arrested.

Public speakers, many of them impassioned, were given one minute to talk.
“Either you are incompetent or malicious,” Olga Diaz said. “You have violated the trust of this community. Hell, we don't even have a community anymore.”

Diaz is one of seven candidates running for City Council, which has two open seats, including one held by Waldron, who is seeking re-election.

Others spoke strongly in favor of the ordinance. One woman called Newman and Pfeiler “traitors to this country.”

The ordinance allows the city to suspend business licenses and fine landlords who rent to illegal immigrants.

Under the ordinance, a complaint not based on race or ethnicity can be filed by a resident, business or city official. The landlord then would be required to provide papers indicating the immigration status of his of her tenants, which the city would ask the federal government to verify. If determined to be in the country illegally, the tenants would have to move within 10 business days.

Officials said that in the past two weeks, of the 208 phone calls to the city regarding the issue, all but six have been in support. E-mails have been running about 95 percent in favor.

Abed said he expects a “national defense team” of lawyers will donate their time to help the city fight any lawsuits generated by the ordinance.

Waldron said: “Some say the cost to defend this is too much. Hogwash! . . . We need to take control of our own communities.”

Good for them! I hope this spreads to the rest of the country.

Good for them! I hope this spreads to the rest of the country.

Around here, Crystal Lake or Carpentersville has similar ordinance now on hold. They are awaiting how a case in court turns out, before passing or not.

I don't know who these criminals have hired to do their PR work, but I love em.

Talk about a bunch of "broke dicks", these people set the bar pretty high. First we have the "Marches", where their parading around with the Mexican flag, now this.

I can hardly wait for the next installment.:teeth:

:rotflmao:
Thats freakin' awesome!

I freakin LOVE IT!!!

But wait, why haven't we seen the MSM covering this? Those liberal, terrorist appeasing, apologist, surrendering, cut and run, fetus murdering, tax and spend, homo marriage supporting, ILLEGAL ALIEN coddling, SHIT BAGS.

Come on Pale, don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel.:thup:

Those of you who happen to live in southern California might want to drop by and thank the guy for voting the right way despite the harassment from racists and other illegal-alien advocates. What better way to support a city councilman who actually has a brain AND a spine, and did the right thing.

Go to this guy's gas station next time you need to fill up. It's just north of San Diego, a few miles east of Interstate 15.

Take I-15 to Escondido, and get off on Hwy 78 eastbound. Or, if you're near the coast, take I-5 to Hwy 78 in Vista, CA, and go east.

A few blocks east of I-15, the highway stops being a freeway, and is called E. Lincoln Ave. Stay on it going east for about 2 miles, and look for Midway Dr.

Turn right on Midway and go about three blocks to E. Valley Pkwy.

Midway Mobil is at the intersection of Midway Dr. and East Valley Pkwy. It's owned and operated by Sam Abed, one of the three Escondido city councilmen who voted YES on the ordinance to ban renting to illegal aliens. Fill 'er up!

Here's a map - click on the following link:

http://www.Little-Acorn.com/pics/MidwayMobilMap.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10/07/news/inland/22_18_5410_6_06.txt

Sam Abed reports sharp spike in business, thanks to supporters

By: ANDREA MOSS - Staff Writer

ESCONDIDO ---- A boycott of City Councilman Sam Abed's gas station by people upset by his vote on a controversial new ordinance has apparently backfired, as some supporters of the ordinance drive long distances to fill their tanks at the business.

Abed reported getting long lines of customers in front of the eight pumps at his Mobil station on the northeast corner of East Valley Parkway and Midway Drive on Friday morning. Combined with higher-than-usual business activity the day before, the heavy patronage has caused the station's business to spike upward, he said.

"If it keeps up, we're going to run out of gas," said Abed. "We normally sell about $5,000 a day. We have three shifts. And we did $6,000 (worth of sales) today in the first shift. So we'll probably have $11,000 to $12,000 (worth of) sales today. That's about 225 percent up."

The upswing followed picketing that began at the gas station Thursday. The protest was organized by people opposed to a new ordinance that would prohibit landlords from renting to illegal immigrants.

The fact that Abed cast one of the three "yes" votes for the ordinance led its opponents to target his business.

Several of those busy filling up their tanks said they sought Abed's business out, in a show of support for the councilman and to counter the protest.

"I normally don't shop here; I normally shop downtown," said customer and Escondido resident Franz Tewksbury. "I'm very much against illegals," said Tewksbury. "Illegals ---- not immigrants. If they're legal, that's fine. And if (people) are going to protest, then I'm going to protest the illegals."

Inside the station, more than two dozen handwritten notes were taped up around a cashier station. The messages included "thank you's" and encouraging words for Abed and some writers indicated they had gone well out of their way to patronize the councilman's station.

"We drove from El Cajon to support you," said a note signed by Pat Deckow and Barbara Channell. "Go Sam!"

Abed said the notes were a sampling of the upswing in business, which he said also brought customers from Temecula, Ramona, Encinitas and other communities that are a long drive from Escondido.

Abed said the response demonstrates that the controversial ordinance is striking a major chord with the general public.

"It's not about how much business we've got," he said about his gas station. "It's about how deep the problem of illegal aliens (is). And the silent majority are really feeling strongly about the illegal immigrants in our county and our nation. I had one person who disagreed with me this morning. But I had about 300 people who told me they support me."

While he talked, customers headed to the cashier's window kept stopping to interrupt and introduce themselves to the councilman. They included Ramona resident Leonard Lacaze, who told Abed he was "a true American."

"I didn't need any gas," Lacaze said. "I just wanted to show my support."

Wayne Rock said he, too, drove across town to buy gas at the councilman's gas station.

"Are you Sam?" Rock said to Abed. "I wanted to thank you for doing the right thing."

At about 5:30 p.m., five protesters blocked a sidewalk and began throwing cups at passing cars near the gas station, but when police responded to the scene, the protesters had already left, Lt. Mark Wrisley of the Escondido Police Department said. According to witnesses, the five individuals weren't affiliated with the main group of demonstrators leading the boycott, he said.

No cars were reported damaged by the cups, and no arrests were made, Wrisley said.

Contact staff writer Andrea Moss at (760) 739-6654 or [email protected].

GREAT STORY!!!

This just goes to show that most politicians have no idea what the majority want as far as illegal immigration.

No more looking the other way when people break the law and NO amnesty.

GREAT STORY!!!

This just goes to show that most politicians have no idea what the majority want as far as illegal immigration.
Oh they know. It's just that most of them are liberal piss bags and don't give a shit what you or I want, even if we ARE the VAST MAJORITY. We can fix that though... NEVER vote for a liberal.

No more looking the other way when people break the law and NO amnesty.
I agree, with no exceptions.

New Topics

Forum List

Back