Calif. sues 6 carmakers over greenhouse gases

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
I suppose it hasn't occured to these lawsuit makers that perhaps they should sue themselves for not having the forsight to know that if they kept letting as many ppl as they have move to Cali - they'd eventually have a polution problem?

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed suit against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other carmakers on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...KOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT-AUTOS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

Sounds like my state's government has WAY too much time on its hands. Or a crying need for more money. Or both.

This case is weird. Or at least under-reported. Did Calif enact some new laws restricting greenhouse gases from vehicles, when I wasn't looking? And do they have any proof, or even evidence, that the vehicles from those car companies have been violating those emission standards?

Maybe they do. But the article mentions nothing about any of those things. This is "reporting"???

Maybe Reuters subscribes to the old saw, "If you say nothing, you can say nothing wrong".

Wow....the Left Coast has truely gone over the deep edge. Um, even if they get money from the auto makers (which of course would cost jobs and raise prices to us consumers), what is California going to do with this money to reduce emissions anyway?

This State Attorney General Bill Lockyer needs to be charged with fraud/waste and abuse of using tax dollars for such an idiotic cause. What a shinning example of a liberalism.

What I don't get is this: (it's at least true for WA state)

Trucks. Peterbuilt. Kenworth. All those. I see those fockes spewing BUCKETS of toxic gas through the air, and they are largely exempt from the emissions laws.

What I don't get is this: (it's at least true for WA state)

Trucks. Peterbuilt. Kenworth. All those. I see those fockes spewing BUCKETS of toxic gas through the air, and they are largely exempt from the emissions laws.

Estimated Premature Deaths by Diesel Exposure by CA Air Basin
soot_estimated-airdeaths.gif

NOTE: Premature deaths are a result of exposure to diesel particulate matter, both direct from the tailpipe and from the conversion of NOx emissions to particulates in the atmosphere. Estimates for indirect particulate exposure for each air basin are based on a conversion of NOx emissions to particulates. SOURCE: Image courtesy of CARB.

Forum List

Back