Calif. lawmakers OK a part of Dream Act for students

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The California Assembly voted Friday to send Gov. Jerry Brown a bill that allows undocumented immigrant college students to receive publicly funded financial aid.

After a lengthy debate, Assembly Bill 131 - the second part of the controversial measure known as the California Dream Act - cleared the lower house on a 45-27 vote.

"Today is a wonderful day," said Assemblyman Manuel Perez, D-Coachella. "Today is a day of hope. Today, there are many students throughout the state of California who are saying, 'It's about time.' "

The bill allows access to taxpayer-funded financial aid for students who came to the country before age 16, attended a California high school for at least three years and graduated. Democrats argued that providing such students greater access to higher education would improve the state's economy in the long run by creating a more educated population.

Republicans didn't see it that way.

They argued that giving scholarships to students who are in the country illegally will encourage more immigrants to come to the state without authorization. They also said it doesn't make sense to subsidize the education of students who aren't allowed to legally work after they graduate.

"If we're going to invest in those students we should get some return on the investment when they leave school and go into the workforce," said Assemblyman Curt Hagman, R-Chino Hills.

The Assembly's vote approved amendments made in the Senate, intended to address the bill's costs by not allowing graduates of technical schools and adult schools to participate, and delaying implementation until January 2013. Those are provisions Brown had sought.

An analysis of the amended bill said it would cost the state $23 million to $40 million a year.

The governor signed the first piece of the package in July, allowing undocumented immigrant students access to private financial aid. He said then that he planned to "look very favorably upon" its companion bill, the one the Assembly sent him Friday.

Calif. lawmakers OK a part of Dream Act for students

Welcome to CA the nanny state! WE are broke but still keep passing bills that will cost the state $23 million to $40 million a year. Fools!

They argued that giving scholarships to students who are in the country illegally will encourage more immigrants to come to the state without authorization. They also said it doesn't make sense to subsidize the education of students who aren't allowed to legally work after they graduate.

Which does not comport with the facts: a significant number of ‘undocumented’ children actually entered the country ‘documented,’ legally. Their parents, however, allowed the documents to expire, or otherwise failed to apply for resident status. Consequently withholding education from undocumented students won’t act as a deterrent.

Also, it’s un-Constitutional to punish children for the crimes of their parents, see: Weber v. Aetna (1972).

Last, that they may not be able to work now after graduation doesn't mean that won’t change in the future and is not justification for withholding an education from otherwise deserving students. Education also has an intrinsic value, it’s not just about training for employment.

Which does not comport with the facts: a significant number of ‘undocumented’ children actually entered the country ‘documented,’ legally. Their parents, however, allowed the documents to expire, or otherwise failed to apply for resident status. Consequently withholding education from undocumented students won’t act as a deterrent.

Also, it’s un-Constitutional to punish children for the crimes of their parents, see: Weber v. Aetna (1972).

Last, that they may not be able to work now after graduation doesn't mean that won’t change in the future and is not justification for withholding an education from otherwise deserving students. Education also has an intrinsic value, it’s not just about training for employment.

So Cali is rewarding crime....some more??

The state is broke, yet the state keeps giving away money that it doesn't have to people who are not law abiding citizens. How does that even work?

If I have no money to pay for the basics in life, even though I work, I am here legally and abide by the LAWS of this country, should I ask JB for a handout?
Righttttttttt, like that will ever happen.

When I enrolled my children in school, I had to provide a BC, SS card and shot records.
How do illegal children even get into school to begin with?
Why is breaking the laws of our country in favor at this time in our history?

Sorry, this may sound harsh, true that children should not be punished for the 'sins' of the parents, BUT ILLEGALS should all be sent back to whence they came and come to the USA the way LEGAL citizens do. The parents brought them here illegally. The responsibility lays squarely on the parent's shoulders.
As a tax payer, why must I have to pay for illegals to attend college, when I can barely afford to send my own to college?
Almost seems like discrimination toward legal citizens.

Some of these students are anchor babies, BTW.

JB is merely pandering for votes.

Actually Jerry Brown does not need to pander for votes......he has the hispanic bleeding heart voters in his pocket and he is very aware of that.

We disagree. After the child turns 18 he is equally at fault for breaking our laws and our laws compensate for that. If the child returns to his home country before he is 18.5 years old and applies to come here legally this past illegal status will NOT be held against him. You cannot change illegal to legal status while in the country illegally.

While they are at home if they happen to be Mexican they can go to college virtually free in their home country. The pay back, they spend a year working for the fed govt upon graduation. NO COLLEGE DEBT WHATSOEVER!

While I agree a child should not be punished for the vile crimes of their parents, they are not.

Should they decide to stay in the US beyond the age of 18.5 they are subject to deportation and should they leave on their own say at age.... 19, they are subject to a 10 year ban. If they are deported it is usually a 'forever' ban.

It's ridiculous to give these kids a college education that they won't be able to use upon graduation with no SS#.

Let them go home legally and return legally.

We disagree. After the child turns 18 he is equally at fault for breaking our laws and our laws compensate for that. If the child returns to his home country before he is 18.5 years old and applies to come here legally this past illegal status will NOT be held against him. You cannot change illegal to legal status while in the country illegally.

While they are at home if they happen to be Mexican they can go to college virtually free in their home country. The pay back, they spend a year working for the fed govt upon graduation. NO COLLEGE DEBT WHATSOEVER!

While I agree a child should not be punished for the vile crimes of their parents, they are not.

Should they decide to stay in the US beyond the age of 18.5 they are subject to deportation and should they leave on their own say at age.... 19, they are subject to a 10 year ban. If they are deported it is usually a 'forever' ban.

It's ridiculous to give these kids a college education that they won't be able to use upon graduation with no SS#.

Let them go home legally and return legally.

On this one, I agree with you.

New Topics

Forum List

Back