Buying American Products: The Good & The Bad!

ActionJackson

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2023
Utah
Generally speaking ... I do what I can to buy American products. It helps our economy and (in most cases) I'm happier with the overall quality of the goods I purchase. But I want to share three situations when buying American has sort of backfired on me. First of all ... the cost of American-made goods is generally (almost always) more expensive. Sometimes MUCH more expensive. Secondly, I'm beginning to wonder if American companies take things for granted. In other words ... do they think that just because their products are made here that they're automatically superior?

Situation #1:

I purchased a pair of handmade work boots from a company called "Frank's Boots" (Frank's Boots) in the upper northwest. I had to trace my foot wearing thick socks so that they could build the boot specifically to the shape of my foot. I also had them install composite toes since they are required by my company. After a couple of months, I got the boots. They beautiful to look at and super well-built. Unfortunately ... they're about 1/16th of an inch too short, so my "ring toe" (for lack of a better term) is killing me by noon. Also, the foot bed feels like I'm walking on solid concrete. So ... after spending $750.00 for them (shipping, tax, and special additions included) I'm stuck with a pair of awesome boots I can't wear. Also, they never followed up on the sale to see how I liked them.:
Frank's Boots 2 4-30-23.JPEG
Frank's Boots 1 4-30-23.JPEG

Situation #2:

I recently purchased another pair of hand made boots from "Origen Boots" (The American Bison Boot - Big Lug) on the East Coast. I paid more than $400.00 for these Bison leather boots. Again ... very nice looking and a lot more comfortable than the Franks but it had very poor "fit and finish" where the sole of the boot meets the heel of the boot. No way you would want to wear these where there's lots of debris or water or snow. Way too much room for stuff to get stuck between the sole and the heel. I can wear them to the store or a restaurant but certainly not at work. At least they did send me a survey to fill out but they never responded to my negative review:
Origin Boot Failure 2 4-8-23.jpeg
Origin Boot Failure 5 4-8-23.jpeg

Situation #3

I very recently purchased a pair of "conceal carry" pants from "CCW Breakaways" (Concealed Carry Pants, Shorts, and Holsters | CCW Breakaways). I own probably 5 different brands of pants. I wear a 34W / 34L pant. I always order 34/34, and they almost always fit just right with moderate variation. However, when I got these CCW pants ... I couldn't even button them no matter how hard I sucked in my gut. So I sent them back and requested a pair of 36W/34L instead. I had already paid the freight to get the pants, and I covered the freight to return them. When they notified me that the second shipment was on the way ... they charged me for the freight again (all around $20.00 per pop). I contacted them and expressed my concern that they were charging me a third time for freight. The dude I was dealing with got snippy and said that he would just keep the pants and credit my account. However, I never received the credit. All said and done ... I ended up paying around $150.00 and got nothing to show for it.

Moral of the story ... buying American doesn't always have a happy ending, but I'm still prone to help American companies when I can. But I won't be doing business with the three companies above ever again.

I might suggest that there is a common thread in your three accounts… buying things via mail order rather than in person.

It doesn’t make the wrongs you’ve experienced right, but you might find better experiences with in-person shopping, when possible.

So far so good with my made-in-America products. Clothes and work boots and dress shoes have all been good quality just needed a lot of breaking in. I bought them online.

I might suggest that there is a common thread in your three accounts… buying things via mail order rather than in person.

It doesn’t make the wrongs you’ve experienced right, but you might find better experiences with in-person shopping, when possible.
I wish there were companies like "Nick's Boots," "White's Boots," "JK Boots," etc. in my area. These companies make top quality, hand-made boots. They get your size and outline your foot, then make the boots after-the-fact specifically to your foot's specs. Unfortunately, they're all stationed several states away from me.

Also, the CCW Breakaway pants are a unique pant that you can't find in any local clothing stores.

It's the governments job to ensure that our trade with other countries is balanced.

Generally speaking ... I do what I can to buy American products. It helps our economy and (in most cases) I'm happier with the overall quality of the goods I purchase. But I want to share three situations when buying American has sort of backfired on me. First of all ... the cost of American-made goods is generally (almost always) more expensive. Sometimes MUCH more expensive. Secondly, I'm beginning to wonder if American companies take things for granted. In other words ... do they think that just because their products are made here that they're automatically superior?

Situation #1:

I purchased a pair of handmade work boots from a company called "Frank's Boots" (Frank's Boots) in the upper northwest. I had to trace my foot wearing thick socks so that they could build the boot specifically to the shape of my foot. I also had them install composite toes since they are required by my company. After a couple of months, I got the boots. They beautiful to look at and super well-built. Unfortunately ... they're about 1/16th of an inch too short, so my "ring toe" (for lack of a better term) is killing me by noon. Also, the foot bed feels like I'm walking on solid concrete. So ... after spending $750.00 for them (shipping, tax, and special additions included) I'm stuck with a pair of awesome boots I can't wear. Also, they never followed up on the sale to see how I liked them.:
View attachment 781037View attachment 781038

Situation #2:

I recently purchased another pair of hand made boots from "Origen Boots" (The American Bison Boot - Big Lug) on the East Coast. I paid more than $400.00 for these Bison leather boots. Again ... very nice looking and a lot more comfortable than the Franks but it had very poor "fit and finish" where the sole of the boot meets the heel of the boot. No way you would want to wear these where there's lots of debris or water or snow. Way too much room for stuff to get stuck between the sole and the heel. I can wear them to the store or a restaurant but certainly not at work. At least they did send me a survey to fill out but they never responded to my negative review:
View attachment 781039View attachment 781040

Situation #3

I very recently purchased a pair of "conceal carry" pants from "CCW Breakaways" (Concealed Carry Pants, Shorts, and Holsters | CCW Breakaways). I own probably 5 different brands of pants. I wear a 34W / 34L pant. I always order 34/34, and they almost always fit just right with moderate variation. However, when I got these CCW pants ... I couldn't even button them no matter how hard I sucked in my gut. So I sent them back and requested a pair of 36W/34L instead. I had already paid the freight to get the pants, and I covered the freight to return them. When they notified me that the second shipment was on the way ... they charged me for the freight again (all around $20.00 per pop). I contacted them and expressed my concern that they were charging me a third time for freight. The dude I was dealing with got snippy and said that he would just keep the pants and credit my account. However, I never received the credit. All said and done ... I ended up paying around $150.00 and got nothing to show for it.

Moral of the story ... buying American doesn't always have a happy ending, but I'm still prone to help American companies when I can. But I won't be doing business with the three companies above ever again.
I think your problem stemmed from buying things that need to fit online. I have experienced the same problems with motorcycle helmets and ski boots. The bottom line when fit and finish is important is to buy the item from a brick and mortar store that you can see the product and try it on--then you know that you are getting the quality that you desire.

I think your problem stemmed from buying things that need to fit online. I have experienced the same problems with motorcycle helmets and ski boots. The bottom line when fit and finish is important is to buy the item from a brick and mortar store that you can see the product and try it on--then you know that you are getting the quality that you desire.
If I could find a local cobbler that could make some high quality, hand made boots designed around my foot shape and size, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The best I can do here locally is buy standard boots made by high production companies like Red Wing, Keen, Carolina, Georgia, etc. They can be pretty good, but they generally don't last too long.

As for those CCW Breakaway pants … they're one-of-a-kind that only they design, manufacture, and sell. I've never seen any in my local department stores or sporting goods shops. I wanted them, so I could carry my Hellcat in my front pocket instead of a holster.

If I could find a local cobbler that could make some high quality, hand made boots designed around my foot shape and size, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The best I can do here locally is buy standard boots made by high production companies like Red Wing, Keen, Carolina, Georgia, etc. They can be pretty good, but they generally don't last too long.

As for those CCW Breakaway pants … they're one-of-a-kind that only they design, manufacture, and sell. I've never seen any in my local department stores or sporting goods shops. I wanted them, so I could carry my Hellcat in my front pocket instead of a holster.
True, even with a 'pocket holster' it's tricky to pull the gun out smoothly.

True, even with a 'pocket holster' it's tricky to pull the gun out smoothly.
I actually had a pair of those pants, and they would have been perfect for what I was looking for. But their rep (or owner?) decided to be a complete ass. He kept my money and the pants. A very dishonest character. If I could find someone else that makes a similar product … I'll jump at the opportunity to buy them.

Have you tried this outfit--511 Tactical--they have a pretty good reputation
I am surprised that you didn't have better luck with Franks. I live in the eastern WA area and they are highly regarded here, but it may be a local thing. Good luck.

I actually had a pair of those pants, and they would have been perfect for what I was looking for. But their rep (or owner?) decided to be a complete ass. He kept my money and the pants. A very dishonest character. If I could find someone else that makes a similar product … I'll jump at the opportunity to buy them.
Dispute the credit card charge.

If the pants were shipped USPS, I'd go the nuclear option: sic the postal inspectors on him! What he did is felony mail fraud!

Dispute the credit card charge.

If the pants were shipped USPS, I'd go the nuclear option: sic the postal inspectors on him! What he did is felony mail fraud!
I was hoping that it was just taking a few days to show up on my account, but it's been more than 7 days now. I'm not finished attempting to collect, but I didn't want to jump the gun.

For those interested in buying American-made products this is where I shop for clothes. I got some really good quality work boots and work pants. Factory Seconds All American clothing.com Not all clothing is factory seconds.

Those boots are made for walkin. Try them on before you buy them pants too. What we need to do is encourage manufacturing in the U.S. Maybe that was Biden's intent when he imported a couple of hundred thousand kids for slave labor.

As far as I can understand, the 'payment on delivery' option isn't very popular in the US.

Forum List

Back