But with the subject of tithing,...

glockmail

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2006
The beautiful Yadkin Valley
[By request]

...as a life-long Catholic, I've never been asked, or read anything about, a tithe requirement to the Catholic Church. There is a 10% requirement in the Torah, when the Church supplied defense, sanitation, and water along with the purely spiritual needs. Since we have a guv'mint that now does this (and does so at around 50%), it would be ridiculous to think that the Church requires the same amount that they did 5000 years ago.

I'm curious as to you atheists and religion-bashers, is this the source of your animosity towards God or religion? The thickness of your wallet? What a price to pay for tossing your soul into the fires of hell, or losing out on fellowship and learning.

[By request]

...as a life-long Catholic, I've never been asked, or read anything about, a tithe requirement to the Catholic Church. There is a 10% requirement in the Torah, when the Church supplied defense, sanitation, and water along with the purely spiritual needs. Since we have a guv'mint that now does this (and does so at around 50%), it would be ridiculous to think that the Church requires the same amount that they did 5000 years ago.

I'm curious as to you atheists and religion-bashers, is this the source of your animosity towards God or religion? The thickness of your wallet? What a price to pay for tossing your soul into the fires of hell, or losing out on fellowship and learning.

I was really just messing around. I think actually a lot of evangelical/born again are into tithing these days, moreso even than catholics. Some of these megachurches in the south actually require you to submit your bank account numbers when you join the church. Otherwise they're good preachers, but this practice sickens me.

Glock it just isn't in the Torah, but also in the O/T that does state giving 10% As for me I have no issues in tithing as close to the 10% for me. I believe Gods grace is included by my giving with an open heart. I can and do see the sufface issues on this topic. But Jesus also showed his desiples how to give with a good heart. Because before then they didn't have a clear understanding. So is giving and tithing the same thing?

• Banned

Consider the biblical norm of tithing in determining the amount of your sacrificial gift. The biblical norm was ten (10) percent of gross income. But in addition, there were many other "required" offerings. Both tithes and offering could equal more than one-third (1/3) of a families' gross income. The specific amounts or percentages recommended for members shall be discussed in the General Directory.
The biblical norm included basic services which the federal government now provides. I would gladly give 33% instead of the 50% or so I now give to the guv'mint.

Tithing means to give of a person's gross income. The tithe, however, is only a barometer, guideline, or estimating level for one's sacrificial giving. Some can and should offer more than the recommended amount of their tithe; others may return less than that percentage.

Nothing in here requires a 10% tithe to Catholic Church.

My 'portion' is given as I feel Lead...and given sometimes when I don't feel lead. As a Christian, I believe Christ when he said "...as you do it to the least of my brethren, you do it also unto ME." Thus, my giving isn't a fixed amount, nor is it given methodically, but given in prayer and trust to those who are in need and junk.

I believe so; giving to charaties. Right now I "give" the most to my least favorite charity: the guv'mint. They are also the least efficient at helping people.

Wrong attitude: it is thank you can I have another!!! I actually give to my church and occassionally I give to "other groups" but I've found those groups are greedy and want more and it has left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to giving with an open heart.
I will add about giving we are entering the tis the season for giving out of guilt! You know people whom are in either bad situations or just lazy don't just get hungry at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It seems people aren't so open to doing say quarterly food drives instead of the "yearly" check in the block. Think about it.

I was really just messing around. I think actually a lot of evangelical/born again are into tithing these days, moreso even than catholics. Some of these megachurches in the south actually require you to submit your bank account numbers when you join the church. Otherwise they're good preachers, but this practice sickens me.
You sound like half the teenagers nowadays: "just kidding", instead of having to admit that they were wrong, or in your case, completely without couth.

I am aware of such practices of some churches, both large and small, and share your sentiments. They are completely out of line. I also know of a preacher in my neighborhood who has an account just to pay for his wife's hats. In direct contrast, Catholic Priests are sworn to poverty. Which church would you rather belong to?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Wrong attitude: it is thank you can I have another!!! I actually give to my church and occassionally I give to "other groups" but I've found those groups are greedy and want more and it has left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to giving with an open heart. ....
I'm not sure what you are trying to say in the first sentence, but as for the second, I stopped giving to other charities almost completely. When they call me asking for money I simply tell them that I give to my church.

Glock it just isn't in the Torah, but also in the O/T that does state giving 10% As for me I have no issues in tithing as close to the 10% for me. I believe Gods grace is included by my giving with an open heart. I can and do see the sufface issues on this topic. But Jesus also showed his desiples how to give with a good heart. Because before then they didn't have a clear understanding. So is giving and tithing the same thing?

I think the true Christian attitude is to realize that ALL of our money belongs to Jesus. Decisions made about expenses should be done with the attitude of "Where do You want this to go, Lord?" The OT law about 10% was given because the people refused to place themselves in complete obedience to the Lord. They wanted to know the minimum they could get by with giving. They wanted to know how much they could keep under their control, to gratify their own desires. Instead, we should have the understanding that we are mainly given good gifts, not to hoard them for ourselves, but so that we have something to contribute to others.

Now, if I can just start practicing what I preach... :(

You sound like half the teenagers nowadays: "just kidding", instead of having to admit that they were wrong, or in your case, completely without couth.

I am aware of such practices of some churches, both large and small, and share your sentiments. They are completely out of line. I also know of a preacher in my neighborhood who has an account just to pay for his wife's hats. In direct contrast, Catholic Priests are sworn to poverty. Which church would you rather belong to?

Eww. Not catholic. If that's what you're getting at.

I think the true Christian attitude is to realize that ALL of our money belongs to Jesus. Decisions made about expenses should be done with the attitude of "Where do You want this to go, Lord?" The OT law about 10% was given because the people refused to place themselves in complete obedience to the Lord. They wanted to know the minimum they could get by with giving. They wanted to know how much they could keep under their control, to gratify their own desires. Instead, we should have the understanding that we are mainly given good gifts, not to hoard them for ourselves, but so that we have something to contribute to others.

Now, if I can just start practicing what I preach... :(

Yes that is what I believe.

....Decisions made about expenses should be done with the attitude of "Where do You want this to go, Lord?" ...(
The Lord directed me to spend way too much money on ski equipment lately. But, it will ensure quality time with my family and freinds, and provide some much needed exercise and fresh air.

I like the way this works.:rolleyes:

The Lord directed me to spend way too much money on ski equipment lately. But, it will ensure quality time with my family and freinds, and provide some much needed exercise and fresh air.

I like the way this works.:rolleyes:

Now that is classic like the words to a song by the late Janis Joplin: Ole Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz......

Forum List

Back