But....armed Americans won't be able to use their guns effectively to stop attackers, you know, except for this guy, and so many others...

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to, no matter how much you fantasize it.

The odds are more likely that someone in your immediate family who shares the house with you and your guns are FAR more likely to be hurt with them than some "intruder" or "vicious attacker".

Sure, you COULD, possibly, in some rare scenario become a hero. But odds are better that you won't.

That old saw is based on warped analysis. SUICIDES are the largest fraction of gun deaths in America by far. They were "bound into" this phony factoid to arrive at that conclusion. It's not like there are aren't 50 other more painful ways to commit suicide.

And any analytical person would figure being TOLD that this factoid is whacked -- would also automatically realize that SUICIDES are MUCH more common in general than home attacks. The SAFETY record for handling firearms is actually pretty damn good. Citizens aren't far behind security/police for "unintended discharges ending in injury or death".

Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to, no matter how much you fantasize it.

The odds are more likely that someone in your immediate family who shares the house with you and your guns are FAR more likely to be hurt with them than some "intruder" or "vicious attacker".

Sure, you COULD, possibly, in some rare scenario become a hero. But odds are better that you won't.
It called risk assessment. People do it every day. If you have a swimming pool you and your kids are far more likely to drown than a person who doesn't own a swimming pool but people who own swimming pools are comfortable with that risk.

If you are not comfortable with the risks involved with owning a gun don't own one. It's that simple.

I don't think having guns in my home is a risk to anyone in my home because I know how to handle them safely.

I've used my legally concealed firearm to defend myself and my loved ones twice. One of those instances resulted in someone losing his life.

I will never be unarmed.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six...

You are free to believe otherwise, but you have no actual data to support your contention. And while you clearly don't like the data I have available, it is real so you have to figure out a way to debate against the experts.

Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives | The Wentworth Report

• Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict. Guns are used to defend against criminals up to 2.5 million times every year (though only fired in 8% of these cases), which is 80 times more than they are used to take lives. Up to 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year; only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person versus 11% for the police.
  • Concealed carry laws help reduce crime. Violent crime falls in a state after it legalizes carrying of concealed firearms.
  • Criminals avoid armed citizens. Criminals are less likely to enter homes if they think the occupants might be armed, and mass-shootings nearly all seem to occur in “gun-free” zones.

Fact Sheet: Guns Save Lives | The Wentworth Report

• Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict. Guns are used to defend against criminals up to 2.5 million times every year (though only fired in 8% of these cases), which is 80 times more than they are used to take lives. Up to 200,000 women use a gun every year to defend themselves against sexual abuse. Citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year; only 2 percent of civilian shootings involved an innocent person versus 11% for the police.
  • Concealed carry laws help reduce crime. Violent crime falls in a state after it legalizes carrying of concealed firearms.
  • Criminals avoid armed citizens. Criminals are less likely to enter homes if they think the occupants might be armed, and mass-shootings nearly all seem to occur in “gun-free” zones.
Marxist men dont want women to defend themselves, because then they cant just take what ever they want from those women, and thus leave them with a baby. That is why Marxists want abortions for rape, because it is the Marxists who are doing the rape. Then deny that they ever had done anything to the woman.

The results of leftist policies that enable criminals couldn't be clearer.

We are largely at a point where we are responsible for our safety.

'We Can’t Keep You Safe’- Law Enforcement Officials Tell Fox News​

Meanwhile, crime in major cities continues to rise. According to police department data, Chicago has seen a 39% increase in crime, Philadelphia 24.3%, New York City 21.1%. and Los Angeles 8.7% year-over-year.

LAPD Detective Jamie McBride shared concern over his city as fewer officers means a decreased ability to serve the community.

“It’s not safe here,” McBride warned. “I’ve been telling people for over a year, do not come to Los Angeles. We cannot keep you safe.”

Would it be possible to discuss this topic in a way in which you don't end up characterizing more than half of the US population as being "pro-murder"? And if you wish to pursue the "pro-murder" crowd, it is probably best to look at where the "murder-making machines" are concentrated. That would be your side of the debate.

The people holding all the guns which are used to kill little kids and theater goers are in NO POSITION to look at the people who want those guns to be gone and say THEY are the cause for the murder.

Wrong.
I am far more leftwing than you or anyone here, but if you look at the claims you are making, they clearly make no sense at all.
Most of the people who buy guns, do so in defensive reaction to the danger of the neighborhood they live in.
And because they live in more dangerous neighborhoods, there will be more crimes.
So what these stats you are trying to promote are claiming are obviously false.
It is not that buying the gun caused the neighborhood become dangerous at all, but the opposite.
The correlation between people buying defensive weapons and crime, does not mean the purchase of the weapons caused the crime as gun control politicians are lying to claim.

Obviously governments have always been corrupt, and you always have the least corruption when people defend themselves instead of having a dictatorship.
For that is what gun control is, a total dictatorship.
And when people are killing kids and themselves, obviously you have a dictatorship that caused the unhappiness and suicide.
It is not and never can be the firearm.

It called risk assessment. People do it every day. If you have a swimming pool you and your kids are far more likely to drown than a person who doesn't own a swimming pool but people who own swimming pools are comfortable with that risk.

If you are not comfortable with the risks involved with owning a gun don't own one. It's that simple.

I don't think having guns in my home is a risk to anyone in my home because I know how to handle them safely.

I grew up in a home with guns, and have always had guns.
So there essentially is zero risk involved.
Gun safety is vastly superior than becoming a home invasion victim.

I grew up in a home with guns, and have always had guns.
So there essentially is zero risk involved.
Gun safety is vastly superior than becoming a home invasion victim.
Exactly. I'm not afraid of guns and I like most gun owners am a total nut about gun safety.

What I find a bit hypocritical among the public is that when a toddler drowns in a swimming pool because of parental negligence everyone is all sympathetic but if a toddler shoots himself with a gun because of the parents negligence they want to have the parents arrested and pass more gun laws. As if dying by drowning is somehow not as bad as dying from a gunshot wound

Bravo to that man!
It's exactly the type of incident the left doesn't want highlighted or known because it shatters a key gun control lie that good guys with guns don't stop bad guys.
The lefty males buy that argument because the idea of defending themselves from a pre-teen girl with a stick sends them into cold sweats in a fetal position & don't believe can't fathom that not everyone else is a coward as well

Nice family party.

Forum List

Back