Business and homosexuals

John Marston

Oct 23, 2014
Mesquite
Just hypothetically...
A same sex couple, Lenny & Bill (for example) are shopping around for caterers ( etc... ) for their up-coming wedding and they meet with one business geek who tells them that because he is a devout follower of the flying spaghetti monster, he can not do business with homosexuals. OK, so Lenny & Bill must go & find somebody who will do business with a homosexual couple. Now my take on all this is that there are LOTS of service businesses in existence and I'm certain that Lenny & Bill could find somebody who is willing to make the $$$ and not worry about any religious bias, and most people (I believe) would simply let it go and not hire a lawyer & make a big deal out of it. However some people insist on making a huge stink about it because they are too arrogant and boastful. Problem here is the fact that the LAW can never dictate the intent of anyone's heart. So why bother, If I were to run a bar, and put a sign in the door saying IRISH ONLY, and if you are not IRISH don't ask to be served here, you are not welcome.
So be it, isn't this a free country?

You just need to get creative about concealing your bigotry.

For example, you don't tell the queer couple you won't cater their "wedding" because the FSM hates fags, you simply tell them you're booked.

Just hypothetically...
A same sex couple, Lenny & Bill (for example) are shopping around for caterers ( etc... ) for their up-coming wedding and they meet with one business geek who tells them that because he is a devout follower of the flying spaghetti monster, he can not do business with homosexuals. OK, so Lenny & Bill must go & find somebody who will do business with a homosexual couple. Now my take on all this is that there are LOTS of service businesses in existence and I'm certain that Lenny & Bill could find somebody who is willing to make the $$$ and not worry about any religious bias, and most people (I believe) would simply let it go and not hire a lawyer & make a big deal out of it. However some people insist on making a huge stink about it because they are too arrogant and boastful. Problem here is the fact that the LAW can never dictate the intent of anyone's heart. So why bother, If I were to run a bar, and put a sign in the door saying IRISH ONLY, and if you are not IRISH don't ask to be served here, you are not welcome.
So be it, isn't this a free country?

In point of fact no, it's not a free country. Or at least no where near as free as people like to think, and certainly not as free as the 20 or more other countries objectively more free than we are.

As to opting not to pursue legal action in response to discrimination. While I probably wouldn't either prefering to walk on than confront, if no one ever sued for their rights written into law we'd still have blacks sitting in the backs of the buses and such. So it's nothing but a good thing that some people do opt for confrontation.

Sure, in bigger cities with concentrations of gay businesses ala Castro Street in San Francisco, there's pleanty of gay-owned businesses to choose services from, and in fact when I lived there ~20 years ago, I and other LGBT would pretty much always opt for such businesses over straight ones. But having such selection doesn't exist everywhere. Smaller communities may only have the one, so if they discriminate and it becomes a major to-do going to the next nearest place, a lawsuit is sometimes an easier option.

Sooner businesses get the message that if it's illegal to discriminate, and they try they'll get sued, the sooner discrimination will stop. Tired cliche' I admit, but the one about 'today they came for the Jews. But I did nothing...' If we do nothing in the face of discrimination of any stripe, then what's to stop then discriminating against us eventually? Today's it's LGBT, tomorrow it could be Muslims, the next day Catholics or Protestants.

Bowing to the homosexual community is nothing more than politics. If it was about discrimination then people would also be upset about stores turning away customers for birthday cakes with neo-Nazi emblems, or for children named Adolph. Don't get me wrong. I find those people repugnant, but many others also find homosexuals repugnant.

If the wedding cake was what they were really after they would go where they could buy one and not create legal drama for what should be a joyous occasion. The real purpose is to force people to treat homosexual unions the same as heterosexual unions. Whether they like it or not. By doing so, the next generation grows up seeing it as the norm and accepts it as such.

New Topics

Forum List

Back