Build Back Better 3.5T Bill

I’m retired. I need a hearing aid I can’t afford. This would make that affordable.

I often don’t go out because I can’t make out conversations in a noisy space. I’m not alone

I’m on my fourth year on my glasses because new ones cost too much. I can see “we’ll enough” through the scratches for now but

I’m not alone

I KNOW I need dental work. I haven’t been to a dentist since before Covid. That ain’t good

I’m not alone

Sounds like you didn't plan well at all.

Pretty much. Life is tough.

Explain how I lose when I don’t have to pay for some lazy kid’s community college.
Doesn’t have to be.

You lose because that person is going to make less money and pay less taxes and contribute less to society.

But you’re worldview is myopic and self centered so none of that matters to you

Doesn’t have to be.

You lose because that person is going to make less money and pay less taxes and contribute less to society.

Nah, I lose nothing because some kid is too lazy to get a community college degree. If a kid wants one, he can work for it.

A “free” degree is worthless.

And I’m curious as to how I’m self centered when I have spent in the neighborhood of $750,000 for degrees for my kids.

Doesn’t have to be.

Nothing will be more expensive or more worthless than a two year degree once the government starts giving it away for “free”.

Nothing will be more expensive or more worthless than a two year degree once the government starts giving it away for “free”.
Yea… because education is a bad thing… right?

Nah, I lose nothing because some kid is too lazy to get a community college degree. If a kid wants one, he can work for it.

A “free” degree is worthless.

And I’m curious as to how I’m self centered when I have spent in the neighborhood of $750,000 for degrees for my kids.
Yea… an education is worthless if it doesn’t lead to a lifetime of debt

Sure

I’m retired. I need a hearing aid I can’t afford. This would make that affordable.

I often don’t go out because I can’t make out conversations in a noisy space. I’m not alone

I’m on my fourth year on my glasses because new ones cost too much. I can see “we’ll enough” through the scratches for now but

I’m not alone

I KNOW I need dental work. I haven’t been to a dentist since before Covid. That ain’t good

I’m not alone

You can get hearing aids for under $300.00, they are advertised all over TV. But I guess you think you're entitled to what other people earn. Your failing to plan is no ones problem but yours.

Something good for the poor and middle class. No wonder NaziCons hate it.
What's in it and how is it paid for..

What's in the Build Back Better Act:​

• Two free years of community college
The legislation provides two years of free community college for all students, regardless of family income. It is anticipated to cost $108 billion.

The bill would also add $80 billion in funding for Pell Grants, which Democrats say hasn't kept pace with the increasing cost of college.

• Child care and universal pre-K
Every family that applies shall be offered child care assistance for children ages 0 to 5. In all, the plan allocates roughly $450 billion to lower the cost of child care and provide two years of universal pre-K for 3- and 4-year-olds, according to the House Education and Labor Committee.

The panel estimated that this proposal would keep the cost of child care at or below 7% of most families' income.

• Medicare expansion
This heavily debated provision would expand Medicare to include coverage of dental, hearing and vision services.

Manchin believes the program's solvency should be addressed before it is expanded.

"We need to stabilize it," he told reporters Friday, according to reports. "By 2026, you understand, the trust fund is going to be insolvent."

• Extended child tax credit
Democrats expanded the child tax credit for 2021 in their $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan, and now want to extend it through 2025.

Under the enhancement, families receive $3,600 per child under age 6, and $3,000 per child age 6 to 18. Most families receive monthly payments of either $250 or $300 per child.

The full expanded child tax credit is available to individuals making up to $75,000 or married couples making up to $150,000.

While Mr. Biden has touted the tax credit's success in lifting children out of poverty, Manchin thinks Democrats' social spending package should impose work requirements for parents who qualify.

"You want to help the children and the parents that are basically providing for those children. There's no work requirements whatsoever. There's no education requirements whatsoever for better skill sets," he told CNN in an interview this month. "Don't you think, if we're going to help the children, that the people should make some effort?"

The House Ways and Means Committee has also endorsed permanent expansions of the earned income tax credit and child and dependent care tax credit.

• Cut prescription drug prices
Another key provision in the bill is aimed at helping to slash prescription drug prices. Americans on average pay two to three times as much as people in other countries for prescription drugs, according to the White House. Among other things, the legislation allows Medicare to negotiate drug prices. Medicare is currently prohibited by law from negotiating for the best deal.

• Paid family and medical leave
For the first time in history, the U.S. would have comprehensive paid leave, covering 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave. The legislation would replace at least two-thirds of earnings, up to $4,000 per month, while the lowest-paid workers would receive 80% of their income.

The White House has previously estimated the plan would cost $225 billion over the next 10 years.

• Climate change
Combating climate change and slowing the rate at which Earth warms will mean transitioning away from fossil fuels, the major source of greenhouse gas emissions.

One provision that Manchin has objected to is the $150 billion "clean electricity performance program," which would pay utility companies that increase their renewable energy supplies by 4% per year. Companies that do not hit this benchmark would face financial penalties. The bill also provides significant funding for forest management and other wildfire control measures.

There are also measures to incentivize the buying of electric vehicles and the construction of charging stations; consumer rebates to homeowners who weatherfit their houses; and financial penalties for oil and gas producers for methane leaks, among other things.

• Lesser-known provisions
The massive bill has a slew of lesser-known provisions as well.

For instance, the bill would authorize $5 million a year for the Small Business Administration for an entrepreneurial program for formerly incarcerated individuals.

The bill also directs $2.5 billion for the Justice Department to award competitive grants or contracts to local governments, community-based organizations and other groups to support intervention strategies to reduce community violence.

How they plan to pay for it​

Democrats have also included a tax plan to pay for the provisions in the bill.

The corporate tax rate would rise from 21% to 26%, and the top income tax rate for Americans making over $400,000 would increase from 37% to 39.6%. The top capital gains rate would also go from 20% to 25%.

Democrats are also looking to beef up tax enforcement by the Internal Revenue Service as a vehicle for paying for the package.

The Joint Committee on Taxation estimates the tax changes spearheaded by Democrats would raise more than $2 trillion in revenue over 10 years, with roughly $1 trillion in tax increases from high-income Americans and nearly $1 trillion from corporate and international tax reforms.

There are also huge savings in drug pricing for Medicare through negotiations as well as lower ACA premium savings

Good things for the poor and middle class. No wonder NaziCons hate it. They love tax cuts for corporations and fat cats.

I’m not alone

I’m not alone
I don't owe it to you to pay for your hearing aides or your teeth, should
have saved your money during your working years instead of buying the dope.

Exactly, it will become two more years of useless public school, where minorities are given unearned good grades in the name of "fairness", and tests are banned because they're "triggering".

Yea… because education is a bad thing… right?
Education is a great thing to invest in if you have a plan with a goal and are the one investing in it. This does none of that. Pissing away yet another two years of their lives getting d’s in basically extended high school gains neither them or us the ones paying for it anything of value.

All you’re doing is extending childhood to 20 years old.

Exactly, it will become two more years of useless public school, where minorities are given unearned good grades in the name of "fairness", and tests are banned because they're "triggering".
Our union powered public schools crank out high schoolers not prepared for life or college by the millions. So now we can what? Delay them figuring out they aren’t prepared for two more years?

Doesn’t have to be.

Or maybe he can be like many, and work while going to school. I did it. My wife did it. It was hard, and lived in a bad part of town eating ramen and peanut butter almost every meal. Why should I be the one to pay for someone not willing to do what I did?

Forum List

Back