‘Brown Sugar’ Gets Canceled

It is past time to cancel the 'cancel culture'.

After hearing the record thousands of times, I was unaware that the Rolling Stones’ classic “Brown Sugar” is about enslavement because I can’t understand anything Mick Jagger says in the entire first verse. All I hear is: “uh uh uh uh uh uh JUST AROUND MIDNIGHT.” Turns out the lyrics are these:
Well, that’s clear enough. Someone noticed that the Stones aren’t playing the song on their current tour, seemingly for the first time ever, which led to a New York Post headline saying that “Rolling Stones retire classic rock song ‘Brown Sugar.’” In the body of the story, Keith Richards is less absolute, saying, “We might put it back in.” He seemed to be smarting about feeling pressure to dump the song when he told the LA Times, “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it.”
The chorus of the song comes from the point of view of a gleeful slave master who enjoys having sex with or raping the women he owns, so it’s not exactly clear about the “horrors” part, but I think we can assume that the Stones, who revered black American blues musicians and got the band’s name from a Muddy Waters LP, are not fans of slavery. A listener might object that the upbeat, rollicking nature of the song makes it a celebration of the acts it describes, but then again, the tune has been played on popular radio for 50 years without causing undue uproar. Suffice it to say that the Stones enjoy visiting dark places in their songs without endorsing their characters or their viewpoints. “Sympathy for the Devil” isn’t really a celebration of Satan.
I find it noteworthy that the urge to cancel rock songs for their supposed licensing of immorality was entirely a right-wing or Christian phenomenon when it got started in the Sixties and now appears to be entirely a left-wing phenomenon.
P.S. I won’t miss “Brown Sugar” because I don’t really like it in the first place. I’m more of an “Emotional Rescue”/”Miss You” guy. And the ballads! Sue me.

Their song their business. Right?

poor whiny trumpkin snowflake

I find it noteworthy that the urge to cancel rock songs for their supposed licensing of immorality was entirely a right-wing or Christian phenomenon when it got started in the Sixties and now appears to be entirely a left-wing phenomenon.
I've been saying that for a while, the irony that they've become the morality police after supposedly bashing Christians for decades for the very same thing is oozing everywhere.

It is not racist to write a song about white slave men who rape and beat their slaves.

That song was written to open people's eyes about what happened in the United States for hundreds of years.

It wasn't condoning or praising what happened.

It was telling people what happened.

Talking about it and telling people about it isn't racist.

In the US only? lol You do know the Stones are Brits, not Americans.

And what's wrong with that?

Why is that "offensive"?

so fucking sick of this shit
There are two more verses which celebrate that lust and the temptation created by those slave women…
“Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wondering when it’s going to stop
Houseboy knows that he’s doing alright
You shoulda heard him just around midnight”

Well Damn! This is good!

Idk even the name of my favorite Stones, I just know how it goes and what it isn't.

It is past time to cancel the 'cancel culture'.

After hearing the record thousands of times, I was unaware that the Rolling Stones’ classic “Brown Sugar” is about enslavement because I can’t understand anything Mick Jagger says in the entire first verse. All I hear is: “uh uh uh uh uh uh JUST AROUND MIDNIGHT.” Turns out the lyrics are these:
Well, that’s clear enough. Someone noticed that the Stones aren’t playing the song on their current tour, seemingly for the first time ever, which led to a New York Post headline saying that “Rolling Stones retire classic rock song ‘Brown Sugar.’” In the body of the story, Keith Richards is less absolute, saying, “We might put it back in.” He seemed to be smarting about feeling pressure to dump the song when he told the LA Times, “I don’t know. I’m trying to figure out with the sisters quite where the beef is. Didn’t they understand this was a song about the horrors of slavery? But they’re trying to bury it.”
The chorus of the song comes from the point of view of a gleeful slave master who enjoys having sex with or raping the women he owns, so it’s not exactly clear about the “horrors” part, but I think we can assume that the Stones, who revered black American blues musicians and got the band’s name from a Muddy Waters LP, are not fans of slavery. A listener might object that the upbeat, rollicking nature of the song makes it a celebration of the acts it describes, but then again, the tune has been played on popular radio for 50 years without causing undue uproar. Suffice it to say that the Stones enjoy visiting dark places in their songs without endorsing their characters or their viewpoints. “Sympathy for the Devil” isn’t really a celebration of Satan.
P.S. I won’t miss “Brown Sugar” because I don’t really like it in the first place. I’m more of an “Emotional Rescue”/”Miss You” guy. And the ballads! Sue me.

He's singing about his wife, Bianca Jagger who was not white. Damn left makes up all kinds of bullshit.

This tune is a good one, but far more sexist than Brown Sugar.

‘Under My Thumb’​

From 'Aftermath'
‘Under My Thumb,’ is without a doubt, the Stones' most sexist song. The little xylophone accompaniment is the sonic representation of Mick Jagger tip-toeing around the subject -- and then shocking the listener by just laying it straight out on the table. This chick thought she was going to get the best of him, and now he’s got her trained to the point of submission. Whether he means sexually or socially is unclear, but the song is chock-full of language one might use describing a dog, not a human being. It's enough to make you squirm.

Read More: 10 Most Sexist Rolling Stones Songs | 10 Most Sexist Rolling Stones Songs

Forum List

Back