Bridge to Nowhere? How About a Tunnel to Russia?

I hear if you dig straight down you will hit China

Sounds good to me. Why not try? We've done amazing things in the past and we should do this too.

Can't see the point. The Chunnell works partly because France and England are part of the EU,and there are no passport controls.

Who in Alaska wants to go to Russia?

Who in Russia has business in Alaska?

Can't see the point. The Chunnell works partly because France and England are part of the EU,and there are no passport controls.

Russia has a tremendous amount of valuable materials...natural resources we can use to build back our manufacturing base. The proposed tunnel will only be for train transport. The other goal is to incorporate a gas pipeline. Russia has enormous natural gas deposits. As long as the pipeline flows from there to here I see cheap gas for us for a long time to come.

China also wants in...the cost of train transport of manufactred goods is expected to be one fifth the cost of shipping on the ocean.

Russia has a tremendous amount of valuable materials...natural resources we can use to build back our manufacturing base. The proposed tunnel will only be for train transport. The other goal is to incorporate a gas pipeline. Russia has enormous natural gas deposits. As long as the pipeline flows from there to here I see cheap gas for us for a long time to come.

China also wants in...the cost of train transport of manufactred goods is expected to be one fifth the cost of shipping on the ocean.

This is the same reason the Gibraltar tunnel is talked about as well. its less for people then for goods.

Alasaka has tons of natural gas. Shipping gas to Alaska?

And I have never heard that overland freight is cheaper than overseas freight. You look at a population map, there is no one living up there on either side. Most of Alaska's people live down by the panhandle, and Russia's nearest population center is in Vladivostok. It would be prohibitovly expensive just to build the connections to the Bearing sea. let alone across it.

If there were two major cities on either side of the Bering strait, I would think that it was feasible, but otherwise not.

What would the advantage be to Alaska & the U.S.? Alaska is already a major supplier of energy and raw materials. Would they want the competition?

The military implications are also devastating.

The only people that really stand to gain from this are a couple of major industries in Russia and China. This could be used as a bargaining chip for the U.S. in other negotiations:

Like if Russia & China would be kind enough to squash N. Korea, we'd be willing to let the tunnel go through, but otherwise I just don't see the U.S. going along with it.

Alasaka has tons of natural gas. Shipping gas to Alaska?

And I have never heard that overland freight is cheaper than overseas freight. You look at a population map, there is no one living up there on either side. Most of Alaska's people live down by the panhandle, and Russia's nearest population center is in Vladivostok. It would be prohibitovly expensive just to build the connections to the Bearing sea. let alone across it.

Russia has W-A-A-Ymore gas reserve than we do. The Chineezzz are the ones that believe rail is cheaper by a factor of 5.

I just saw a PBS spcial on the plan...these people are serious.

Russia is obviously preparing for when we sell them Alaska to help pay off our national debt.

---

Jokes aside, I would say that Russia is very afraid of China. Russia has TONS of resources in the far eastern territories, and nobody lives there. China, on the other hand, desperately needs resources, and has more people than land.

Russia: 180 billion people
China: 1,300 billion people

This tunnel allows them to completely bypass Chinese territory and waters when trading with the US.

Putin says Russia will defend natural resources in Siberia

Last edited:
I think this is a dangerous idea. One word: Earthquakes. Seismic activity is rampant in that part of the region. Also we don't need Russians in America. They can't be trusted. This would be a national security threat.

Man are you behind the curve. Russian companies already own major companies in Canada and the US. I work for them. They own the only mill on the west coast capable of rolling armor plate and titanium. The sale was approved by the Bush administration.

No national security threat. One tunnel would be easily taken out in case of war. But it could be a major transport of the vast store of raw material in Siberia.

I think this is a dangerous idea. One word: Earthquakes. Seismic activity is rampant in that part of the region. Also we don't need Russians in America. They can't be trusted. This would be a national security threat.

I fail to see how a tunnel connecting the US to Siberia will be a national security threat.

I fail to see how a tunnel connecting the US to Siberia will be a national security threat.
It's not...a tunnel is a hell of a lot easier to patrol than an airport.

I think this is a brilliant idea!

It's not...a tunnel is a hell of a lot easier to patrol than an airport.

I think this is a brilliant idea!

I do too. In fact, I hope they build more than just a transport for materials. I think it would be pretty cool if they had a commuter railroad. That way we could take a train all the way to Europe if we wanted to. I think people would pay for that.

Forum List

Back