Breaking the Democratic quagmire

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US

From Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As the Democratic Party steps in to solve the dispute over the Florida and Michigan delegates, the question now appears to be who can broker a deal before the party's convention in August

Former President Clinton is hardly neutral, and former Vice President Al Gore said in a CBS "60 Minutes" interview Sunday that he's "not applying for the job of broker."
That leaves Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, who's under enormous pressure, to do something.
The DNC stripped Florida and Michigan of their delegates as a penalty for scheduling their primaries too early. Both states want their delegates to have a say at the convention, but the party has been unable to come up with a plan to seat them.
On Wednesday, Dean met with Florida's Democratic congressional delegation and announced, "we will absolutely seat a delegation from Florida at the convention."
So, is there a deal? Not quite. Dean, however, did make one big announcement.
"We are confident enough that we have reserved hotel rooms for the delegates from Florida in Denver as far as I know," Dean said.

Rep. Karen Thurman, chairwoman of the Florida Democratic Party, said, "We have hotel rooms reserved, and we are excited about that.''
"This is a breakthrough to have the [national] chairman indicate that he's going to do everything he can,'' said Rep. Ron Klein, D-Florida.

Some Democrats have been getting impatient -- like Phil Bredesen, the governor of Tennessee.

"What I want our party to do is just take it off auto-pilot here. We've got a problem, and our party's just got to step in and find some way to resolve it," he said.

But Sen. Hillary Clinton has said she intends to stay in the race with Sen. Barack Obama and fight all the way to the convention.

Neither Clinton nor Obama will win the 2,024 delegates needed to capture the nomination outright, meaning the superdelegates probably will determine the Democratic nominee.

Obama currently leads Clinton in delegates 1,625 to 1,486, according to CNN estimates. Obama also leads in the overall popular vote.

The fact is, no one can broker a deal except the candidates themselves, as Dean has acknowledged.

"The best option is whatever we can get the candidates to agree to," he said.
"I think the delegates are eventually going to be seated from Florida and Michigan as soon as we get an agreement from the candidates about how to do that," Dean added.

In 1988, Michael Dukakis and Jesse Jackson made a deal over campaign resources. In 1984, Walter Mondale and Gary Hart made a deal over party rules. In 1980, Ronald Reagan and George Bush went on the ticket together, as John Kerry and John Edwards did in 2004.

The point is, the candidates have to do it themselves

Would Hillary take an offer of being Vice President? I think that might be the only way the Dems can dig out of this hole. Hillary is going to win Pennsylvania but will still be far behind.

I have a feeling that there may be a secret deal in place. Hillary is saying she is not going to drop out and Obama is saying she should stay in. Hillary looks at him with adoration during the debates. Are they going to team up against the old man?

Hillary looks at him with adoration during the debates.

That might just be the funniest thing I've ever read regarding the Dem primary race. Can you give some examples?

Hillary looks at him with adoration during the debates.

That might just be the funniest thing I've ever read regarding the Dem primary race. Can you give some examples?

Absolutely I can! I don't think it was the last debate but perhaps the one before that. I was floored! She sat there glaring like a school girl. But in the latter debates she returned to be rabid self.

Here is the link for the thread article that I forgot:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/02/dems.deal/index.html

Let them fight it out all the way through the convention and into November. I forsee Obama winning the nod and Hillary's people voting for McCain as payback.

From Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- As the Democratic Party steps in to solve the dispute over the Florida and Michigan delegates, the question now appears to be who can broker a deal before the party's convention in August

Former President Clinton is hardly neutral, and former Vice President Al Gore said in a CBS "60 Minutes" interview Sunday that he's "not applying for the job of broker."
That leaves Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, who's under enormous pressure, to do something.
The DNC stripped Florida and Michigan of their delegates as a penalty for scheduling their primaries too early. Both states want their delegates to have a say at the convention, but the party has been unable to come up with a plan to seat them.
On Wednesday, Dean met with Florida's Democratic congressional delegation and announced, "we will absolutely seat a delegation from Florida at the convention."
So, is there a deal? Not quite. Dean, however, did make one big announcement.
"We are confident enough that we have reserved hotel rooms for the delegates from Florida in Denver as far as I know," Dean said.

Rep. Karen Thurman, chairwoman of the Florida Democratic Party, said, "We have hotel rooms reserved, and we are excited about that.''
"This is a breakthrough to have the [national] chairman indicate that he's going to do everything he can,'' said Rep. Ron Klein, D-Florida.

Some Democrats have been getting impatient -- like Phil Bredesen, the governor of Tennessee.

"What I want our party to do is just take it off auto-pilot here. We've got a problem, and our party's just got to step in and find some way to resolve it," he said.

But Sen. Hillary Clinton has said she intends to stay in the race with Sen. Barack Obama and fight all the way to the convention.

Neither Clinton nor Obama will win the 2,024 delegates needed to capture the nomination outright, meaning the superdelegates probably will determine the Democratic nominee.

Obama currently leads Clinton in delegates 1,625 to 1,486, according to CNN estimates. Obama also leads in the overall popular vote.

The fact is, no one can broker a deal except the candidates themselves, as Dean has acknowledged.

"The best option is whatever we can get the candidates to agree to," he said.
"I think the delegates are eventually going to be seated from Florida and Michigan as soon as we get an agreement from the candidates about how to do that," Dean added.

In 1988, Michael Dukakis and Jesse Jackson made a deal over campaign resources. In 1984, Walter Mondale and Gary Hart made a deal over party rules. In 1980, Ronald Reagan and George Bush went on the ticket together, as John Kerry and John Edwards did in 2004.

The point is, the candidates have to do it themselves

Would Hillary take an offer of being Vice President? I think that might be the only way the Dems can dig out of this hole. Hillary is going to win Pennsylvania but will still be far behind.

I have a feeling that there may be a secret deal in place. Hillary is saying she is not going to drop out and Obama is saying she should stay in. Hillary looks at him with adoration during the debates. Are they going to team up against the old man?
Please review and follow the rules of posting on this message board: http://www.usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=47455

"Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material."

The link to the article you posted in its entirety is: http://m.cnn.com/cnn/ne/politics/de...7;jsessionid=E112D9BFE61E29906221ACD9324768EC

Forum List

Back