BREAKING: Lebanese President - "We are open to peace talks with Israel"

rylah

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2015
Lebanese President Michel Aoun declared in an interview with French television on Saturday night that his country may be ready for peace with Israel. Asked in an exclusive interview with French BFM television whether Lebanon is willing to make peace with Israel, he replied: "It depends. We have problems with Israel and we need to resolve them first.

(Comment)

Another Shia-led country...

And this in light of recent event is most saturated in recent line of normalization shift.
Hizballah has declared a launch of investigation, following yesterday's reports about capture of supposed agent crossing to Syrian border,and eventual threats of retaliation. Doesn't take a genius to understand what's going on. However it does take following Lebanese public opinion, to see this investigation and supposed capture is a desperate resort to shift blame, and eventually a catch-22 situation for Hizballah, because anyway the investigation comes out, no one will believe, no one will take that as an excuse for endangering population with the corrupt conduct in which the chemical were stored, let alone Hizballah's open threat on Lebanese TV to attack Israel explicitly in that manner.

If the investigation concludes Israel is to blame, no one will take that as gospel like once,
and even if people believe that, they still blame Hizballah for creating the conditions.

Anyway, this is not about the explosion investigations, that's just shallow,
it's another Shia-led country, and an immediate neighbor.

Potentially the 3rd hostile Muslim country bordering Israel,
(and a direct Iranian proxy) to openly shift towards normalization.

UAE is a plane flight away,
Lebanon is less than an hour drive from me...

Lebanon has been a Hezbollah puppet state for decades now. The significance of this can not be over-stated.

Lebanon has been a Hezbollah puppet state for decades now. The significance of this can not be over-stated.

The responses in the social media are no less intriguing,
people are saying Hizballah caused them more damage long term than Israel ever did in wars.

Prob. good time to invest in infrastructure providers.
Some reports allege negotiations held with Israeli companies.

This is Lebanon just a year ago:

5a774dcc1072901d008b4e74

1-AP_350762821077.jpg

Last edited:
I makes me wonder what it will take for Palestinians to throw out their corrupt, Jew hating leaders?

Lebanon is open to just about anything right now. Put another way, it is powerless to close itself or say no to anything or anyone. It is destitute, dishonored and disarrayed. As with everywhere else, the people are good and bright and may not deserve this, but the nation and government are reaping long term malfeasance.

I makes me wonder what it will take for Palestinians to throw out their corrupt, Jew hating leaders?

Exactly what we're seeing now.
They'll be most likely the last among the Arabs,
not the other way around as was falsely presupposed for years.

Lebanon is open to just about anything right now. Put another way, it is powerless to close itself or say no to anything or anyone. It is destitute, dishonored and disarrayed. As with everywhere else, the people are good and bright and may not deserve this, but the nation and government are reaping long term malfeasance.

Actually Lebanese people are the closest to Israel both mentally and culturally,
than any other Arab population in the middle east.

We're in many ways basically the same country...

Arab states have been using Palestinians for decades as a proxy thorn in the side of Israel after it became clear they could never conquer Israel militarily.

The Palestinians leadership (certainly not the people) have been profiting by the tidy arrangement for all that time. Arafat's offshore Billions are testimony to that.

As more and more Arab states drop their historic antipathy to Israel, Hamas and PLO will be left high and dry. Only then, will they fall.

Actually Lebanese people are the closest to Israel both mentally and culturally,

That's certainly true. Lebanon was a Frankish Crusader kingdom for centuries, not an Arab state.

• The palestinian Arabs who could find themselves further isolated after decades of feeling all the Arab countries had their backs, even as they committed any atrocities they liked.
  • Never Trumpers. He clearly has helped paved the way for peace in the Middle East, despite his personal failings.
  • Israel-haters, but especially Richard Silverstein, who has continually claimed that Israel bombed Beirut. In fact, in one of his recent posts, he tried to use the fact that President Aoun conceded there may have been foreign interference, to buttress his argument. This is another nail in the coffin of his fake news post – how on earth could the same Aoun say Lebanon may be ready for peace with Israel if he truly believed Israel had perpetrated such a thing? Not only that, but it further indicates he believes Hizbullah was to blame.

Arab states have been using Palestinians for decades as a proxy thorn in the side of Israel after it became clear they could never conquer Israel militarily.

The Palestinians leadership (certainly not the people) have been profiting by the tidy arrangement for all that time. Arafat's offshore Billions are testimony to that.

As more and more Arab states drop their historic antipathy to Israel, Hamas and PLO will be left high and dry. Only then, will they fall.

Yes, the Pali leadership is the one most threatened by normalization,
no conflict means no billions flowing to personal bank accounts from the EU...

No conflict, no public support, no money.

That's their whole predicament.

That's certainly true. Lebanon was a Frankish Crusader kingdom for centuries, not an Arab state.
The manner in which Europe toyed with the Middle East set the stage for further American (and other's) errors. Screwing around with continents, cultures and countries has presented us with a very difficult world scene.

• The palestinian Arabs who could find themselves further isolated after decades of feeling all the Arab countries had their backs, even as they committed any atrocities they liked.
  • Never Trumpers. He clearly has helped paved the way for peace in the Middle East, despite his personal failings.
  • Israel-haters, but especially Richard Silverstein, who has continually claimed that Israel bombed Beirut. In fact, in one of his recent posts, he tried to use the fact that President Aoun conceded there may have been foreign interference, to buttress his argument. This is another nail in the coffin of his fake news post – how on earth could the same Aoun say Lebanon may be ready for peace with Israel if he truly believed Israel had perpetrated such a thing? Not only that, but it further indicates he believes Hizbullah was to blame.

That's the ladder to climb off that tree.

It might still sound grotesquelly counter intuitive
to everything we got used to about the ME, but I'll still say this:

"United we stand, divided we fall".

And this has the potential of actually preventing THE war,
or at least the magnitude of collapse of the region if Iran is THAT suicidal.

Uneasy thing to say...

Folks just think about it..
Lebanon is Iran's sea port to the Mediterranean, and Europe.

For at least a year they've been busy building a direct highway, connecting both countries trough the Shia Crescent.

I’d also had the (impossible?)dream of travelling around those areas, to look at the antiquities.

It seemed to me that up until a couple of weeks ago, Hezbollah was telegraphing their intent to start another missile war with Israel.

This one incident not only put a stop to that, it looks like Hezbollah might be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

I’d also had the (impossible?)dream of travelling around those areas, to look at the antiquities.

It is BEAUTIFUL!
People are too.

You'll feel peculiarly home and familiar more than with any other Arab society.

It seemed to me that up until a couple of weeks ago, Hezbollah was telegraphing their intent to start another missile war with Israel.

This one incident not only put a stop to that, it looks like Hezbollah might be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

We should be careful though,
desperate people do desperate actions,
and they, as You mentioned, been recently itching more than usual.

It is BEAUTIFUL!
People are too.

You'll feel peculiarly home and familiar more than with any other Arab society.

Well, my trip to Beirut is cancelled before I even begin.

Many Lebanese here where I live. Shops, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Friends of Israel.

Forum List

Back