Bread machine

There is a reason these things are such good sellers ...

image503150x.jpg

b6c67-dscn0246.jpg

There are a lot of people who think good enough equals good.

Yea and you never had the best ham and Swiss sandwich ever...with dukes mayo..

I am thinking about getting one as I like to cook and it's a lot cheaper to make the bread than to buy it. I made some a few times the old way and it was excellent, but time consuming. I'm looking at this one because it's cheap and has good reviews.

815JTlw%2B%2BsL._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067REBU/?tag=ff0d01-20

Any input?
That's the machine my dad uses.

He's pushing 80 and makes all sorts, makes it nearly quicker than he can eat it, and loves that machine, no joke. He's had that machine longer than my son has been alive, over seventeen years now. Wow time flies.

The other day I guess he made a new recipe that was fluffier than he usually likes, but mom loved it. It hit the top of the lid and left an impression of that little sliver handle in the loaf. . . . I guess he likes his more heavy and dense.

If you want that homemade taste, but don't want to spend forever on it, pull the trigger, this one is probably a safe bet.

Or you can go to a bakery and buy some freshly baked bread instead. I've never made my own bread. I hate working with dough. Unless I can spoon it out of a bowl and drop it in stew or something, I don't bother with making any "dough products." For pies, I just buy an already made crust. It's a sacrifice I make for avoiding dough. :D

Some people use bread machines as dough makers-mixing and rising helpers as time & process savers as well as assure better consistency and success rates (as bread Machine yeast is more reliable them measured temperature activated yeast packets)and so they cook certain types of bread loafs in pans in the oven instead of the machine.
The machines also make great pizza dough and some even have jam settings.
Great rated most reasonable one can be found at Walmart by Hamilton Beach.
example of part machine formed dough and oven baked were my Chocolate Babka and Challah bread seen in my pics.
tmp-cam-1311237251.jpg
tmp-cam--1239657387.jpg

Bread makers are nice, I've used them.
I've made a lot more bread the old fashioned way..I've made so much that way that really it isn't much more difficult than with the bread machine..the difference is that there are more dishes and mess when I make it by hand. The machine is nice because you just put the ingredients in and that's it.

Update on the bread machine.

I did not get the one pictured because I got bad vibes about it. Instead I got an SKG automatic bread maker pictured here:

71ggEQdr6BL._SL1000_.jpg

It was about 100 dollars

So I read the book and to me the instructions weren't clear in a few places but after looking at a few videos I became comfortable with the controls. I started with a small one pound loaf, put in all the ingredients and set the controls and pushed start. Took about three hours and I took the cooking pan out and there was this "thing" in there that did not look like bread. It didn't appear to have risen. I tried a piece and it was real heavy and tough. So, wth? I looked at the manual and it said I didn't use enough yeast or my yeast was bad or out of date. It was not out of date and i followed the recipe to the letter. SO I re-read the manual and didn't really find out what happened.

This morning early I decided to try again after going to buy a jar of instant yeast. This time I made a two pound loaf followed the recipe and 3 hours later, a perfect loaf of bread was on my cutting board! It was hot and delicious! had to be the yeast.

I figured it up and it'll cost me less than a dollar a loaf and this bread in better than store bought. As far as making it this way or the old way, this way on better. All you have to do is put the ingredients in the machine and turn it on. You don't have to be there and wait until it rises and then put it in the oven and then wait for it to cook. All you do is put the ingredients in. There is nothing wrong with the old way but this is just easier.

It looked real close to this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Tomorrow, cinnamon raisin bread!

I am thinking about getting one as I like to cook and it's a lot cheaper to make the bread than to buy it. I made some a few times the old way and it was excellent, but time consuming. I'm looking at this one because it's cheap and has good reviews.

Any input?
Years old one of a different mfg, but I still love the little tike filling the house with the smell of fresh bread.

Any input?
Years old one of a different mfg, but I still love the little tike filling the house with the smell of fresh bread.
AND you don't have to heat the whole house...AND you can still use the stove for something else if you're cooking a meal.

I have loved my breadmakers, they were worth the money for the period of time I used them..I was able to work and provide my family with homebaked bread A LOT with minimal mess and bother.

I love bread. I don't know if it's the bread itself I love, or the fact that it can be used to shovel other stuff..like heavenly masses of BUTTER and JAMS and HONEY...or sometimes mayo and sammich stuff....into my head.

I make pretty good bread and like I said, I've made a lot of it including in industrial kitchens (but even more in my own I think).

I miss my bread machine, I should get another one. And I'm saying that even though I did without a microwave for more than a year to save counter space in the same kitchen.

Plus there are no nasty preservatives!

Yeah there is a downside to that...

Homemade bread is delish when it's fresh.

It's only fresh for about a day, and it does and will dry out and mold much faster than store bought.

I made bread fro years instead of buying it...it was easier and cheaper for me to do so when the kids were little. I was going through about 25 lbs of flour every 6 weeks or so.

They HATED homemade bread in their lunches. So funny because my mom said she did too...and her mother made beautiful bread.

I think homemade bread sammiches are the best thing ever.

Yeah there is a downside to that...

Homemade bread is delish when it's fresh.

It's only fresh for about a day, and it does and will dry out and mold much faster than store bought.

I made bread fro years instead of buying it...it was easier and cheaper for me to do so when the kids were little. I was going through about 25 lbs of flour every 6 weeks or so.

They HATED homemade bread in their lunches. So funny because my mom said she did too...and her mother made beautiful bread.

I think homemade bread sammiches are the best thing ever.
True that. But what i plant to do is make about one 1.5 lb loaf every 4 or 5 days and that should do us fine. It's just my wife and I and the cat, and he don't don't like it!

Forum List

Back