Breach

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
This is a good movie about the most heinous spy in America's history, but it is only based on the true story. As is so often the case, if you really want to know about Robert Hanssen and his betrayal of this country with the Russians, you should read the book. A very important fact that was left out of the movie was that Hanssen contacted the Russians about spying for them; they did not try to recruit him. When they found out who he really was, they were flabbergasted, to put it mildly. A second important fact left out of the movie was that Hanssen did not do his spying for the Russians for financial gain. The money he received from the Russians was of very little interest to him.

I've heard an NPR interview with the director and FBI agent involved. It was fascinating, and actually made me want to see the movie.

Does "the book" give any indication of why Hanssen did it (if not for the money)?

In the interview I heard, the FBI agent indicated that he thought Hanssen truly believed the things he claimed to believe (his faith, his patriotism, etc), but that he had another corner of his brain that was responsible for the evil behavior and that he just kept it locked away.

Does "the book" give any indication of why Hanssen did it (if not for the money)?

No. I'm assuming the reason he got life in prison with no parole for his treason rather than execution was the hope that maybe one day they will get the answer from him. Just my interpretation of things.

He was one arrogant sob. When the FBI arrested him in a Washington park after making his last drop for the Russians, he asked "What took you so long?" That didn't appear in the movie either.

No. I'm assuming the reason he got life in prison with no parole for his treason rather than execution was the hope that maybe one day they will get the answer from him. Just my interpretation of things.

He was one arrogant sob. When the FBI arrested him in a Washington park after making his last drop for the Russians, he asked "What took you so long?" That didn't appear in the movie either.

Wow. You'd think a line like that WOULD be in the movie.

Another thing I found interesting when listening to the NPR interview was that the director was very upfront about what they decided to change to fit into a "movie format". They had a long discussion about how they had to blend multiple people into a single character for the FBI agent, etc.

Still haven't seen the movie, but I'm interested to do so.

Forum List

Back