Brazilian fighter aviation: a timeline

Last Friday, the Brazilian Air Force's Saab F-39 Gripen E was officially unveiled. The link below presents an extensive and interesting article showing a timeline with all fighter aircraft already operated by the Brazilian Air Force, from 1941 to the present day. I read, enjoyed and share it here. I recommend reading.

Aviação de Caça da Força Aérea Brasileira: Uma linha do tempo

Interesting. I have to admit I was a bit surprised that the Brazilians could afford such high end tech, given the bumpy road they have traveled economically. That said, going from the Mirage, which perhaps I erroneously consider a hopelessly out dated 1960s design, straight to a 2013 model is an amazing leap.

My understanding is that the Mirage latest models, are $4 Million, while the Gripen is $40 Million a pop. The Gripen E is somewhere between a F-16 and F-35 in capabilities. (closer to an F-16 than F-35 I would imagine)

It kind of makes me wonder why the Brazilian military believes this is a needed move. Do they anticipate future destabilization in South America? Certainly they could find an option better than the Mirage, that was far cheaper than a Gripen E. For what reason do they need that kind of fire power, at that price point?

Curious.

Forum List

Back