Brazil is Out on Penalty Kicks. Shameful

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Crotia beat Brazil on PKs.

For the life of me I can never understand why these major sports (and in this case major sporting events) stop playing their sport and rely on these gimmicks.

Of the professional leagues...Baseball has it right. They play until there is a winner (except for that All Star game of course...lol). Basketball gets close with a short period of overtime until there is a winner. I don't know what Hockey does nowadays. Football is completely brain dead on this. And club soccer has it right too; they just accept a tie between two evenly matched teams.

The World Cup Tournament ends on this penalty kick format. There is no need for it to end that way.
What I would prefer is this.

Play for 90 minutes. Like Croatia and Brazil did. It was 1-1 after 90 minutes.

If still tied, have the 5 penalty kicks per side.
If still tied after the 5 PKs, then keep kicking until one side can't answer. So like in this case. Croatia would get 1 more goal.

But instead of awarding them the victory, play another 45 minutes with Croatia now ahead 2-1. If the game is tied at the end of the 45 minutes, Croatia still wins. If Brazil is ahead at the end of 45 minutes, they win and advance.

Basketball game should not end on a game of H-O-R-S-E (and they don't) anymore than a soccer match should end on PKs in the World Cup. In lower divisions or other tournaments, fine.

I have a really stupid alternate idea that I would really love to see implemented in soccer.

If a soccer game is tied, instead of going to penalty kicks, go to over-time sudden death…with an additional ball in play.

For every 15-20 minutes of a tie in sudden death, add another ball. :laugh:

Forum List

Back