Brace for impact

freyasman

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
Aesop has some thoughts and observations;
From the link;
"Counting Casualties

Stepping away from the actual pandemic, because I'm tired of disputing with morons on things that are grade school simple, we wander over to the crystal ball for a bit to look at some potential and probable casualties rather more important than even the 70K+ people (and counting) that'll never be going anywhere but the cemetery from here on out.

Are these casualties guaranteed? No.
Are they likely? O Hell, yes.
Are they permanent? If not, how long will they last? GOK. God Only Knows.

The Oil Industry
People ignore the fact that Russia and OPEC were getting into a throat-slitting contest before the pandemic became news outside China, but that shindig, coupled with .Gov ringing the alarm over Kung Flu, gave Wall Street the go-ahead to take the most massive fiscal shit on itself in recorded history.

Last week, the price of oil was down to "If you'll take this crap off my hands, I'll pay YOU $19/bbl to unload it for me." Imagine Macy's giving $50 bills away for taking suits and dresses - marked down to "FREE" - off their store racks, and you've got the idea.

Fracking? Drilling? Fuggedabowdit.
Short-term, OPEC countries are going to starve, first for cash, and then quite possibly for real. This is when "Arab Spring" from a couple of years ago turns into a Long, Hot Summer Of Discontent.

American drilling platforms, oil fields, and general operations? Probably taking a months-to-years long shit on themselves too. We may never see things like they were last December again, for years, to decades, to ever.

Airlines

F**ked. Like 9/11 f**ked. This year at least. Some of them won't be back, ever.
Airlines run on razor-thin margins, and some won't survive the next shake-out.
Which takes out everyone from pilots to baggage manglers.
(But still not those fat, stupid crotch-groping perverts and luggage thieves at TSA, dammit!)

Bonus: Less demand for aviation fuel kicks the oil bidness in the crotch again.

The Auto Industry

We were already sitting on a months-long glut of cars, because the "booming" economy wasn't trickling down from banks and board rooms to where people buy new cars. With unemployment where it is now, defaults on auto loans to come, and metric fucktons of repo cars, demand for new cars will probably hit 1930 levels. I.e. nada. If Detroit announced there would be no 2021 models or model year, it wouldn't surprise me at this point. So auto workers, and ancillary parts makers, dealerships, auto finance, banking, etc.

Bonus: Yet another crotch shot to the oil industry.

Travel and Tourism

Deader than airlines. Hotels, restaurants, tourist destinations, cabbies, cooks, maids, etc.
Deals will be had, to be sure, but it's going to be awhile before anyone wants them, and a yuuuuuge chunk of people on the dole won't be taking trips anywhere, including the grocery store. And since it's either "newlywed, or nearly dead" that make up most travel/trips, I wouldn't expect the AARP/AMAC crowd to be lining up in droves to see when and whether this pandemic has gone out, anytime soon.

Vegas? Short it, in every way.

Which all impacts not just direct staff, but also sales of supplies, linens, and oh yeah, food.

Food Production and Distribution

People hoarded, so week to week purchases will drop while they eat that. A lot of people are unemployed, so what they do buy, they'll buy less of. We've already seen crops plowed under, to keep from bottoming out prices. Next, herds that cost more to feed than they'll bring at market will soon go the same way.

Which such wild swings, it's a short step from glut to shortages, especially come winter.

Entertainment

Disney Inc. probably won't re-open any parks in 2020, by all accounts. They're posting 90% Q2 losses (on top of the epic flop that was their craptastic StarBores additions, which lost them billion$ already), and it isn't getting better, as they look to do without any summer park revenue either. Add Six Flags, and every other theme and amusement park to that list, as what gets re-opened, and the whims of both the government and the public change like the wind daily.
The movie business is about to get the worst summer in history, in all likelihood. Pisser not just for Tom Cruise and Top Gun 2, but for the entire multi-billion $$ industry, from fat-cat producers and overpaid actors, all the way down to the folks who wash the cars, take the tickets, sell the popcorn, and those who provide everything from midnight meals for production crews, to props, wardrobe, equipment, and a gajillion rentals of everything known to man.
Concerts? Who's likely going to attend COVIDfest 2020? Is it even going to be an option in most places? I'm thinking it's unlikely at best, for some time.

Education

Brick-and-mortar K-PhD died this year, even if they don't know it.
The secret's out: most school years could be knocked out in 3 months at home, for most K-12 kids. And unconstrained by waiting on the teacher to help the utter morons at the left edge of the IQ curve in every grade level, what kids can learn at home is fun, engaging, and interesting, when they're not being beaten over the head with Common Core stupidity, white guilt, privilege-shaming, tolerance for every perversion and every dubiously suspect fruit-loopy pile of rose fertilizer under the sun, except for orthodox Christianity and American cultural exceptionalism.
Not paying $50-$100K for degrees in underwater basket weaving and Victim Studies isn't going to hurt college students' feelings, when they realize they could do the whole four years in three, at home, in their PJs, with zero impacted classes, while holding down a paying job, and graduating with an actual marketable degree and no debt.

De-fund both public teachers unions, and liberal indoctrination gulags, in one swell foop?
Be still, my beating heart!

The only reason for 90% of colleges and universities by next year will be to pander to the alumni's sportsball fetishes. I'm spitballing here, but the brighter leagues will simply adopt them wholesale as minor-league feeder streams outright, put them on payroll, and end the charade.

The 10% of all schools who deliver educational bang for the buck, however, will have their pick of students from here on out.

Commercial Real Estate

Everyone on earth just got the memo that dragging people an hour's drive each way daily is silly and sooooo 19th century. When they realize how much they can streamline by cutting out buildings, 57-gender bathrooms, and 200 feet of regulatory oversight and compliance by leaving most employees the hell alone, and letting them crank out their work from home, most corporations from medium to huge will be dumping buildings like they were on fire and radioactive.

And when 2000 people a day don't all troop in and out and finger-bang the same elevator buttons and door handles, the plagues and pandemics of their children don't get shared around the office, cutting health care costs for the company too.

Win-win.

Bonus: Still another crotch kick, with both feet, to both the oil and automotive industries, and the travel industry.

And this is just for openers.

TL;DR?

As we warned you waaaaaaay back in Jan/Feb., multiple times, the deaths from a virus are relative small potatoes. The blowback from it, however, is going to shrink the economy, and put a lot of people who had jobs in December out on their ass, some of them for years to decades.

{We also told fucktards not to panic, but that the fucktards out there would miss that message, which is why they're fucktards. No really, we said exactly that:

If you're keeping score in your programs, that's still a 1.000 batting average.}
The engine of the economy just had a huge bubble of water pumped into the fuel line, and one of the pistons just sheared off. What happens after that?

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

And this is just the everyday stuff, inside the country.
Wait until this rumbles through 150 other countries' economies. ;)
For a lot of people, barring miracles, a butter-smooth Sully landing in the Hudson isn't in the cards.
It's "just the flu, bro?"
Because this is what happens every year?
Sh'yeah. As if."

From the link;
"Counting Casualties

Stepping away from the actual pandemic, because I'm tired of disputing with morons on things that are grade school simple, we wander over to the crystal ball for a bit to look at some potential and probable casualties rather more important than even the 70K+ people (and counting) that'll never be going anywhere but the cemetery from here on out.

The Oil Industry
People ignore the fact that Russia and OPEC were getting into a throat-slitting contest before the pandemic became news outside China, but that shindig, coupled with .Gov ringing the alarm over Kung Flu, gave Wall Street the go-ahead to take the most massive fiscal shit on itself in recorded history.

Last week, the price of oil was down to "If you'll take this crap off my hands, I'll pay YOU $19/bbl to unload it for me." Imagine Macy's giving $50 bills away for taking suits and dresses - marked down to "FREE" - off their store racks, and you've got the idea.

Short-term, OPEC countries are going to starve, first for cash, and then quite possibly for real. This is when "Arab Spring" from a couple of years ago turns into a Long, Hot Summer Of Discontent.

American drilling platforms, oil fields, and general operations? Probably taking a months-to-years long shit on themselves too. We may never see things like they were last December again, for years, to decades, to ever.

Airlines

(But still not those fat, stupid crotch-groping perverts and luggage thieves at TSA, dammit!)

The Auto Industry

We were already sitting on a months-long glut of cars, because the "booming" economy wasn't trickling down from banks and board rooms to where people buy new cars. With unemployment where it is now, defaults on auto loans to come, and metric fucktons of repo cars, demand for new cars will probably hit 1930 levels. I.e. nada. If Detroit announced there would be no 2021 models or model year, it wouldn't surprise me at this point. So auto workers, and ancillary parts makers, dealerships, auto finance, banking, etc.

Travel and Tourism

Deader than airlines. Hotels, restaurants, tourist destinations, cabbies, cooks, maids, etc.
Deals will be had, to be sure, but it's going to be awhile before anyone wants them, and a yuuuuuge chunk of people on the dole won't be taking trips anywhere, including the grocery store. And since it's either "newlywed, or nearly dead" that make up most travel/trips, I wouldn't expect the AARP/AMAC crowd to be lining up in droves to see when and whether this pandemic has gone out, anytime soon.

Which all impacts not just direct staff, but also sales of supplies, linens, and oh yeah, food.

People hoarded, so week to week purchases will drop while they eat that. A lot of people are unemployed, so what they do buy, they'll buy less of. We've already seen crops plowed under, to keep from bottoming out prices. Next, herds that cost more to feed than they'll bring at market will soon go the same way.

Which such wild swings, it's a short step from glut to shortages, especially come winter.

Entertainment

Disney Inc. probably won't re-open any parks in 2020, by all accounts. They're posting 90% Q2 losses (on top of the epic flop that was their craptastic StarBores additions, which lost them billion$ already), and it isn't getting better, as they look to do without any summer park revenue either. Add Six Flags, and every other theme and amusement park to that list, as what gets re-opened, and the whims of both the government and the public change like the wind daily.
The movie business is about to get the worst summer in history, in all likelihood. Pisser not just for Tom Cruise and Top Gun 2, but for the entire multi-billion $$ industry, from fat-cat producers and overpaid actors, all the way down to the folks who wash the cars, take the tickets, sell the popcorn, and those who provide everything from midnight meals for production crews, to props, wardrobe, equipment, and a gajillion rentals of everything known to man.
Concerts? Who's likely going to attend COVIDfest 2020? Is it even going to be an option in most places? I'm thinking it's unlikely at best, for some time.

Education

The secret's out: most school years could be knocked out in 3 months at home, for most K-12 kids. And unconstrained by waiting on the teacher to help the utter morons at the left edge of the IQ curve in every grade level, what kids can learn at home is fun, engaging, and interesting, when they're not being beaten over the head with Common Core stupidity, white guilt, privilege-shaming, tolerance for every perversion and every dubiously suspect fruit-loopy pile of rose fertilizer under the sun, except for orthodox Christianity and American cultural exceptionalism.
Not paying $50-$100K for degrees in underwater basket weaving and Victim Studies isn't going to hurt college students' feelings, when they realize they could do the whole four years in three, at home, in their PJs, with zero impacted classes, while holding down a paying job, and graduating with an actual marketable degree and no debt.

De-fund both public teachers unions, and liberal indoctrination gulags, in one swell foop?

The only reason for 90% of colleges and universities by next year will be to pander to the alumni's sportsball fetishes. I'm spitballing here, but the brighter leagues will simply adopt them wholesale as minor-league feeder streams outright, put them on payroll, and end the charade.

The 10% of all schools who deliver educational bang for the buck, however, will have their pick of students from here on out.

Commercial Real Estate

Everyone on earth just got the memo that dragging people an hour's drive each way daily is silly and sooooo 19th century. When they realize how much they can streamline by cutting out buildings, 57-gender bathrooms, and 200 feet of regulatory oversight and compliance by leaving most employees the hell alone, and letting them crank out their work from home, most corporations from medium to huge will be dumping buildings like they were on fire and radioactive.

And when 2000 people a day don't all troop in and out and finger-bang the same elevator buttons and door handles, the plagues and pandemics of their children don't get shared around the office, cutting health care costs for the company too.

Win-win.

Bonus: Still another crotch kick, with both feet, to both the oil and automotive industries, and the travel industry.

TL;DR?

As we warned you waaaaaaay back in Jan/Feb., multiple times, the deaths from a virus are relative small potatoes. The blowback from it, however, is going to shrink the economy, and put a lot of people who had jobs in December out on their ass, some of them for years to decades.

{We also told fucktards not to panic, but that the fucktards out there would miss that message, which is why they're fucktards. No really, we said exactly that:

If you're keeping score in your programs, that's still a 1.000 batting average.}
The engine of the economy just had a huge bubble of water pumped into the fuel line, and one of the pistons just sheared off. What happens after that?

For a lot of people, barring miracles, a butter-smooth Sully landing in the Hudson isn't in the cards.
Sh'yeah. As if."

Brilliant! Thanks for the post.

• Banned
I concur with his assessment, and so does Peter Grant;
From the link;
"I can't disagree with anything Aesop says; in fact, I've said many similar things myself over the past few months. There's a chance - a small one - that the American economy will kick-start itself, and things will return to normal faster than anticipated: but I doubt it. Over thirty million people (let's look at that in figures: 30,000,000 people) have lost their jobs, or been furloughed, during the past two months or so. How many of them will find that their employers have closed their doors? How many will find that their hours have been cut when their employer re-opens, because the customers just aren't there in the same numbers as before, or spending as freely as before? I think at least half of those thirty million people are going to be on the breadline for a long time to come.

The question then becomes: what to do if you're among them? I think this is a time to pull in your horns, financially speaking, and do everything possible to position yourself to survive.

• Cut back on every single expenditure you can. Budget carefully, and stick to it no matter what. No impulse purchases, no extravagances, no "my spouse will never know about that!" moments. Every penny counts.
  • Reduce costs wherever possible. Refinance your mortgage if necessary, to get a lower monthly payment even at the expense of a longer payment period. Get rid of whatever you can't afford, even if you take a loss on it (for example, a car that's costing you several hundred dollars a month that you no longer have).
  • Sell assets that can bring in cash to reduce debt elsewhere. I got a head start on that after my heart attack last November. I knew my writing income would suffer badly over the recovery period, so I began to sell firearms from my collection, and ammunition from my stash, to cover expenses. It's kept me afloat so far. Sadly, thanks to COVID-19's effect on the economy, I may have to do a lot more of that, for a lot longer than I'd anticipated. Watch this blog for more sales soon! Take a long, hard look at your own hobbies, assets and valuables, and consider doing likewise.
  • Consider what you can earn on the "black economy", doing odd jobs for cash or swapping your goods and services for those of others. ("I'll help fix your plumbing if you'll help me service my car," and that sort of thing.) This can save a lot of money, and generate a little income on the side.
  • Be prepared to walk away from debts that become intolerable. It's lousy to be homeless . . . but if keeping your home is crippling you financially, why are you still there? Begin planning right now what you'll do if you're forced into such an extremity. Do you have family or friends with whom you can stay? For how long? What about the stress to which that'll subject your relationship with them? Can you arrange to stay at one place for a week or two, then move to another, and so on, to create less stress for your hosts? Plan ahead.

Finally, if you don't already have one, I urge you as strongly as possible to find a network of like-minded people, relatives and/or friends you trust to help you and your family through hard times. None of us know what those hard times may include, but I think we can all see them coming. A small network of people providing mutual support is much more likely to survive them than a "lone wolf". Miss D. and I are blessed to have a local group of friends like that, and a wider one online. I hope you're as fortunate.

In one sense, the readership of this blog, and of Aesop's, and those that have come together around other blogs and bloggers, already form such networks. Let's share ideas and support each other, even if at present it's only moral support. Who knows what dividends that may pay in future?

Peter"

• Banned
This virus kills people with weak immune systems and comorbidities....... our society is rife with those.
COVID-19 may not kill very many people overall, but the hits to our fragile supply system, interconnected, interdependent economy, and our lack of attention (going back decades) to what sort of corrupt, wannabe tyrants we have been allowing into public office and public service, at all levels, is already biting us in the ass..... and if history is any guide, shit is going to get much, much worse.

Prepare accordingly.

Don't forget the 800 pound gorilla shitting in the middle of the living room ...

Health Care Systems

Hospital up north a pace is in bankruptcy already ... some clinic owners dressed in scrubs and shot a video criticizing their lock down recently ... how much longer will they have to refuse paying customers so they can be ready for waves of C-19 patients ... empty beds don't pay the 'lectric bill ...

I warned all of you back in 2005 that how we finance health care was unsustainable ... 18% of USA's GDP completely failed to deal with just one little microbe ... how much of your income goes to health care insurance? ... how much will premiums be next year? ... no more mandate, are you going to renew? ... seriously, all that money and look at the value we get, $6 trillion in Federal debt and counting ...

What about the rest of the world? ... if medical device and equipment manufacturers shut down in the United States, where they going to buy stuff like artificial hips or heart valves ... Europe has some capacity, but their industry ain't going to be any better off than here ...

[Just to be obnoxious ...]

Climate Change Hysteria Industry

Yeah, couple of degrees over a century is pretty meaningless when it's a little virus that destroys human-kind ... H.G. Wells was spot on with his War of the Worlds ... just wrong species is all ... I say good riddance to bad rubbish, humans are just the last decaying bud on a dying branch of the tree of life ... evolution favors our close cousins, the rats ...

[Good read .... thank you for posting it ...]

From the link;
"Counting Casualties

The Oil Industry

Airlines

The Auto Industry

Travel and Tourism

Entertainment

Education

Commercial Real Estate

Win-win.

TL;DR?

Sh'yeah. As if."

Nice piece of writing Freyasman. Think you may be quite a bit correct, but hope you are not dead on correct.

From the link;
"Counting Casualties

The Oil Industry

Airlines

The Auto Industry

Travel and Tourism

Entertainment

Education

Commercial Real Estate

Win-win.

TL;DR?

Sh'yeah. As if."

Nice piece of writing Freyasman. Think you may be quite a bit correct, but hope you are not dead on correct.
Aesop is a smart guy.... a little caustic, but smart.

From the link;
"Counting Casualties

The Oil Industry

Airlines

The Auto Industry

Travel and Tourism

Entertainment

Education

Commercial Real Estate

Win-win.

TL;DR?

Sh'yeah. As if."

Aesop is a smart guy.... a little caustic, but smart.
Is Aesop the name Peter Grant writes under for the Raconteur Report? Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. Never heard of him or that blog before. I take it, it's a bunch of think pieces? I will have to check out more of his work. Appreciate you posting it.

Forum List

Back