BP Wants To Know: Can You Fix The Spill?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
BP has created a telephone number you may call if you have ideas for addressing the spill. I have called it and the operator took my information, including my email address, and said BP would be sending me a form to complete in order to share my ideas so they can can look at them and decide if future contact with me might be helpful.

The telephone number is 281-366-5511. I think calling merely to ladle abuse on a telephone operator is not helpful; what we need for that purpose is Tony Hayworth's private phone number, huh?

Anyway, if this appeals, please call. Who knows if this is anything other than a PR thing or a cheap way to build a mailing list, but if you can contribute to the solution please use this, or some other way, to make that known.

BP Oil Spill Suggestion Hotline | BP Phone Number to Report Oil Spill Suggestions

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCWW5xt3Hc8]YouTube - NASA | Satellites View Growing Gulf Oil Spill[/ame]

While I applaud the call for outside ideas... I think this phone # is going to only be an outlet for crackpots, delusional assholes like whiny tuba, and very few with real ideas that are somewhat practical

That's a cynical POV, dave. Who knows? The answer may come from some ordinary citizen/engineer.

That's a cynical POV, dave. Who knows? The answer may come from some ordinary citizen/engineer.

Not saying that it won't or can't... but you will indeed have tinfoil hat crackpots, delusional assholes like whiny tuba, etc calling in to this... in DROVES

While the call for outside help is admirable, I think a better way than a phone bank could have been done to gather the legit ideas

I say nuke it. Detonating a nuke at the site will temporarily liquify the seafloor into molten lava, then when it cools it will reseal the oil underneath.

• Banned
I cannot imagine what possesses some people here on USMB to parade their squabbles with other posters around like they have a reason to be proud of them. No one solicited your evaluation on Tuba, Diamond Dave and after insulting him twice without reason, I'm inclined to say you have nothing whatsoever to contribute on any topic.

It's a spill across the entire Gulf now. Did you watch the video? This is going to severely damage the Gulf states, the people who live there, the environment, etc. But I guess that's not important, as long as you get to tell us that some other USMB-er pissed in your wheaties. If anyone should happen to see the Op and call BP with a workable idea, that kinda sorta matters a bit more than whatever beef you have with another USMB-er, donca think?

Your sense of proportion is off, DiamondDave. The entire world does not revolve around YOU.

thumbnail.aspx

And nobody solicited your opinion of me... but you felt compelled rather than dealing with the point I made

As stated.. I think the call for outside ideas and help is admirable... however, we will have the delusional freaks, the enviro-nazis, and the crackpots using this phone bank for everything else other than what was intended.. I fully believe the is a better way to get the legit ideas from people into the proper hands

It cannot be done.
That movie is over.
The Gulf is toast and when the currents pick it up it goes to the Keys and up the east coast and from there ? Who knows.
These idiots stabbed the jugular of this hemisphere, it appears.

I say nuke it. Detonating a nuke at the site will temporarily liquify the seafloor into molten lava, then when it cools it will reseal the oil underneath.

Well then, here's a dumbassed question. Can a nuclear bomb be detonated underwater?

There are 3 types of nuclear detonations Madeline.

1) Airburst. Generates a lot of heat and a shockwave, disperses radiation in a large radius. Also generates an EMP that will destroy electrical equipment.

2) Surface burst. Generates heat and shockwave, but not as far as the airburst. Radiation is generally at the place of the explosion in a limited area. Also generates EMP burst, but it doesn't carry as far.

3) Subsurface burst. Generates extreme shockwave and pollutes the water or ground with radiaton.

Yes, we can blow up a nuclear device underwater. Russia has done it 4 times successfully to seal blowouts underwater.

Wanna know why they wont do it Hawk? They won't be able to get the oil. BP is doing everything it can to keep that well able to pump oil.

Tophat? Cutting the pipe for a new BOP valve? Topkill that DIDN'T WORK?

They don't want to stop it, they still want the oil.

And nobody solicited your opinion of me... but you felt compelled rather than dealing with the point I made

As stated.. I think the call for outside ideas and help is admirable... however, we will have the delusional freaks, the enviro-nazis, and the crackpots using this phone bank for everything else other than what was intended.. I fully believe the is a better way to get the legit ideas from people into the proper hands

The what is a better way DiamondDave?

ABikerSailor wrote in part:

They don't want to stop it, they still want the oil.

This might well be true; why expect more from the same company that installed an oil rig in a negligent manner in the first place -- obviously oil is more important to them than our environment or the people they have killed and will kill.

Last edited:

Reaching out to the scientific community and colleges... reaching out to rival companies.... reaching out to the inventors and independent engineers.... having the proper channels to have writeups and proposals submitted and screened... and not having some phone bank open for the wingnuts to start using for their own agenda... you're not going to get the details of specifics needed on the phone call anyway, the numbers, the data, etc... it will have to be submitted and reviewed... this is half PR and half stupid idea to open a phone number for this

This is not a radio call-in segment for someone to win 2 tickets to Motley Crue.... open to pandemonium... and much like an open casting called compared to screened auditions, you have to weed thru a lot of shit to even possibly get a glimpse of something worthwhile... this is a lot of wasted effort and time that could be better used to comb over legit proposals...

Well then, here's a dumbassed question. Can a nuclear bomb be detonated underwater?

Operation Crossroads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been done numerous times
Weren't those relatively shallow waters? I'm sure creating a tsunami that wipes out a few hundred thousand people is an excellent idea. Not.

Meanwhile, lagoon water rushing back into the space vacated by the rising gas bubble started a tsunami-like water wave which lifted the ships as it passed under them. At 11 seconds after detonation, the first wave was 1,000 feet (305 m) from surface zero and 94 feet high.[68] By the time it reached the Bikini Island beach, 3.5 miles (6 km) away, it was a nine-wave set with shore breakers up to 15 feet (5 m) high, which tossed landing craft onto the beach and filled them with sand.[69]
Twelve seconds after detonation, falling water from the column started to create a 900-foot (274 m) tall "base surge" resembling the mist at the bottom of a large waterfall. Unlike the water wave, the base surge rolled over rather than under the ships. Of all the bomb's effects, the base surge had the greatest consequence for most of the target ships, because it painted them with radioactivity that could not be removed.[68]

Reaching out to the scientific community and colleges... reaching out to rival companies.... reaching out to the inventors and independent engineers.... having the proper channels to have writeups and proposals submitted and screened... and not having some phone bank open for the wingnuts to start using for their own agenda... you're not going to get the details of specifics needed on the phone call anyway, the numbers, the data, etc... it will have to be submitted and reviewed... this is half PR and half stupid idea to open a phone number for this

This is not a radio call-in segment for someone to win 2 tickets to Motley Crue.... open to pandemonium... and much like an open casting called compared to screened auditions, you have to weed thru a lot of shit to even possibly get a glimpse of something worthwhile... this is a lot of wasted effort and time that could be better used to comb over legit proposals...
I think they have been doing all that you suggest already.

Operation Crossroads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has been done numerous times
Weren't those relatively shallow waters? I'm sure creating a tsunami that wipes out a few hundred thousand people is an excellent idea. Not.

Meanwhile, lagoon water rushing back into the space vacated by the rising gas bubble started a tsunami-like water wave which lifted the ships as it passed under them. At 11 seconds after detonation, the first wave was 1,000 feet (305 m) from surface zero and 94 feet high.[68] By the time it reached the Bikini Island beach, 3.5 miles (6 km) away, it was a nine-wave set with shore breakers up to 15 feet (5 m) high, which tossed landing craft onto the beach and filled them with sand.[69]
Twelve seconds after detonation, falling water from the column started to create a 900-foot (274 m) tall "base surge" resembling the mist at the bottom of a large waterfall. Unlike the water wave, the base surge rolled over rather than under the ships. Of all the bomb's effects, the base surge had the greatest consequence for most of the target ships, because it painted them with radioactivity that could not be removed.[68]

Yes.. Bikini Atoll is relatively shallow... but it is the first example that always comes to mind for underwater nuke detonation... there have been many others by us and by other countries that have gone on at deeper depths

Sink an oil tanker on top of it with a hole cut in the bottom, all compartments open to each other, the top sealed, as it fills up, tap into it and pump it off.

:lol:

she's always hoity toity like that. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back