BP inserts tube into leaking pipe

It is not a total solution, but it is a start. Anything that keeps the crude oil and natural gas from belching into the virgin waters of the Gulf is a good thing. Let's hope that more success is in the future. It appears from most accounts that we have dodged a HUGE bullet here. Time will tell for sure just how much damage has been done.

Me too because hurricanes cause much less damage than oil spills.

No, he was saying let's hope it can get "fixed" and cleaned up before something along the lines of this happens:

Oil Spills - Hurricane Katrina photos of oil, petroleum, and other toxic spills.

I know---It's just fun poking Mr. Rocks and his climate paranoia. :lol:

:lol:I can understand that. However, an ever increasing population, a decreasing supply of grain reserves, and weather gone awry in 'global weirding' tends to make one a bit nervous. Read Jared Diamonds "Collapse", and you will gain some understanding of what bothers me in the present trends.

Well, that's good news. Let's hope they can find a way to deal with that underwater slick - an estimated 10 miles long by 1 mile wide at a depth of some 4/5,000 feet down.

Then.... let's find out exactly what went wrong, apportion blame where it properly belongs and ensure that we fix it... because - unless we give up our obsession with oil - we have no option but to drill offshore.

We have every option to cease drilling offshore. First and foremost is to require mileage standards that would mandate hybrids or electrics. Second would be to build a modern grid that would pick up alternative energies at the optimum locations. No differant than building the Interstates in the 50s and 60s.

It is not a total solution, but it is a start. Anything that keeps the crude oil and natural gas from belching into the virgin waters of the Gulf is a good thing. Let's hope that more success is in the future. It appears from most accounts that we have dodged a HUGE bullet here. Time will tell for sure just how much damage has been done.

how in the devil do you get that? we have not dodged a bullet...we are simply like the cowboy who takes a gutshot.....you dont die fast...but you still die....there damage to the gulf is unknown at this point...oil does not just vaporize and disappear...

i understand what you are saying about it is the first positive step but oil is still leaking...oil is still flowing..

did you watch 60 minutes last night? we havent dodged a damn bullet.....the oil rig atlantis is still pumping...we may simply be waiting for the next barrell to be fired.

We have every option to cease drilling offshore. First and foremost is to require mileage standards that would mandate hybrids or electrics. Second would be to build a modern grid that would pick up alternative energies at the optimum locations. No differant than building the Interstates in the 50s and 60s.

So when the Governor of Virginia just raised the speed on interstates from 65 to 70, that would be going in the wrong direction?

We have to be realistic Rocks, at least for now. The offshore drilling needs to continue, but with added safeguards and more oversight. A spill such as this can never happen again.

America might cease - foreign companies will not. International waters are international waters and 'we' will have no say in who drills where, and what safety standards are in place - unless we are part of any offshore drilling. Wanna take that risk? Because it would be a seriously stupid risk to take.

I would prefer that we ensure we are heavily involved in off shore drilling - because we learn by our mistakes and we care about safety and environmental issues. I would also prefer that the American people wake the fuck up and stop wasting resources.

I read a few articles that said that BP was the only company trying to fix this mess . . . why isn't BP taking suggestions from other companies/individuals? They had some guy on Fox who had an organic solution and gave a demo of it. It soaked up the oil. But the BP spokesperson says they are doing everything they can do. ??? I also saw a demo of using hay and one used peat moss to absorb the oil that has already spilled. Naysayers to these methods say the spill is so massive that these methods wouldn't do any good. Again, ??? It's a massive spill that will require massive cleanup . . . why wouldn't they utilize everything? Why wouldn't BP open the doors for these types of solutions? I get they need to stop the leak but for all the oil that is already spilled and floating in the ocean, why wouldn't they use solutions like this asap?

Cleaning Up the Gulf - Video - FoxNews.com

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/alternative-solutions-to-oil-spill-cleanup-19806570

Last edited:
what are the figures...we have 2 % of the oil....5 % of the world population and use 25 % of the world's oil....kinda says it all...and if you want a fucking link google it

New Topics

Forum List

Back