Borat being sued by darn near everyone...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
It seems that since Borat is now a huge hit, to me it sounds like those from the movie want a piece of the money, even though they signed waivers. If they were in fact duped, it should be a learning experience to not be so gullible/naive or just to take it in stride, have a sense of humor, and laugh with everyone else. The most recent lawsuit makes me want to say "Boo F-ing Hoo"...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=415871&in_page_id=1770

Borat film 'tricked' poor village actors
By BOJAN PANCEVSKI and CARMIOLA IONESCU, Mail on Sunday Last updated at 21:25pm on 11th November 2006

When Sacha Baron Cohen wanted a village to represent the impoverished Kazakh home of his character Borat, he found the perfect place in Glod: a remote mountain outpost with no sewerage or running water and where locals eke out meagre livings peddling scrap iron or working patches of land.

But now the villagers of this tiny, close-knit community have angrily accused the comedian of exploiting them, after discovering his new blockbuster film portrays them as a backward group of rapists, abortionists and prostitutes, who happily engage in casual incest.
They claim film-makers lied to them about the true nature of the project, which they believed would be a documentary about their hardship, rather than a comedy mocking their poverty and isolation.
Villagers say they were paid just £3 each for this humiliation, for a film that took around £27million at the worldwide box office in its first week of release.
Now they are planning to scrape together whatever modest sums they can muster to sue Baron Cohen and fellow film-makers, claiming they never gave their consent to be so cruelly misrepresented.
Disabled Nicu Tudorache said: This is disgusting. They conned us into doing all these things and never told us anything about what was going on. They made us look like primitives, like uncivilised savages. Now they,re making millions but have only paid us 15 lei [around £3].
Cambridge-educated Baron Cohen filmed the opening scenes of the Borat movie in Glod - a village that is actually in Romania, rather than Kazakhstan, and whose name literally translates as 'mud', last summer.
Its 1,000 residents live in dilapidated huts in the shadow of the Carpathian mountains. Toilets are little more than sheltered holes in the ground and horses and donkeys are the only source of transport. Just four villagers have permanent employment in the nearby towns of Pucioasa or Fieni, while the rest live off what little welfare benefits they get. ...

Haven't seen the movie yet, but my sister did, and told me I ought to see it. She wants my "take" on it. She wouldn't give her opinion until she hears what I have to say...........?

Anyway, she did say that when her and her husband attended the movie, there was a lot of laughter throughout the show, but she was not finding humor in all that most of the audience was.

She was wondering if it was generational, or she was just not "getting" it.

She felt that there were some parts that were intended to be funny that she thought were in poor taste. Again she wouldn't give me specifics, but wants me to see the movie first before discussing it.
I did however read on Drudge, that the suits were of the "nature" of being deceived by the filming company.......via the waivers..........in other words, the people were told one thing, and it was misrepresented.

I gathered that these people were portrayed in ways that they felt were embarrassing, degrading, or downright untrue.
Again, thats just a news report....
I also understand that this village of Glod, has no sewage system, electricity, running water.......ecetera........

Was Borat taking advantage of some folks that aren't savvy to the modern, techno world, and the often South Park-like type of humor that's in vogue nowadays in the West?

Haven't seen the movie yet, but my sister did, and told me I ought to see it. She wants my "take" on it. She wouldn't give her opinion until she hears what I have to say...........?

Anyway, she did say that when her and her husband attended the movie, there was a lot of laughter throughout the show, but she was not finding humor in all that most of the audience was.

She was wondering if it was generational, or she was just not "getting" it.

She felt that there were some parts that were intended to be funny that she thought were in poor taste. Again she wouldn't give me specifics, but wants me to see the movie first before discussing it.
I did however read on Drudge, that the suits were of the "nature" of being deceived by the filming company.......via the waivers..........in other words, the people were told one thing, and it was misrepresented.

I gathered that these people were portrayed in ways that they felt were embarrassing, degrading, or downright untrue.
Again, thats just a news report....
I also understand that this village of Glod, has no sewage system, electricity, running water.......ecetera........

Was Borat taking advantage of some folks that aren't savvy to the modern, techno world, and the often South Park-like type of humor that's in vogue nowadays in the West?

So how old is she? I think I'd like to see it but she may have a valid point.

Forum List

Back