Booze, Coffee - OK. Meat - Bad for you (and especially the environment)

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
That's what's coming out of Obama's nutrition panel.

Oh, and you're fat. (Which is true.)

A panel of nutrition experts recruited by the Obama administration to help craft the next set of guidelines, to be issued this year, said in long-awaited recommendations Thursday that the government should consider the environment when deciding what people should eat.

The panel, in a departure from a decades-old recommendation, also said dietary cholesterol was no longer a big concern: It scrapped guidance that Americans limit their cholesterol intake to no more than 300 milligrams a day—less than that found in a couple of eggs.

The panel said consuming three to five cups of coffee a day can reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. It endorsed the idea that moderate amounts of alcohol were beneficial for some people. ...

With obesity rates high, it is unclear how much of an impact the guidelines have on the country’s eating habits. But they do influence billions of dollars of spending on government food programs, including the school lunch standards and the Defense Department’s menu guidelines.

The focus on sustainable diets is angering the meat industry, particularly beef producers, accused of taking a particularly heavy toll on the environment.

“The committee’s foray into the murky waters of sustainability is well beyond its scope and expertise,” said Barry Carpenter, president of the North American Meat Institute, which represents beef and poultry producers.

The meat industry believes the panel, which has been meeting for well over a year, is pursuing a broader antimeat agenda, even though it doesn’t recommend specific daily reductions in meat or poultry consumption. ...

While the current dietary guidelines point out the need for sustainable agriculture, the advisory committee this time went so far as to suggest Americans eat less animal-based foods, in part because of the environmental impact, and said a product’s environmental footprint should be disclosed on food or menu labels.​

Diet Experts Push More Plants Less Meat in Nod to Environment - WSJ

One should never believe statements coming from the central government or their toadies...and particularly so when they discuss health or diet.

Need to quit trying to recommend a one-size-fits-all nutrition system and accept what works for some will kill others. :)

My grandfather has been limiting himself to 2-3 eggs per week due to the "cholesterol bad" thing. I think he is going to make up for lost time now.

We've long known that the livestock industry is far worse for the environment than any other pollution. And we know it contributes to heat disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, kidney and liver disease and the list just on and on.

Read John Robbins and Kathy Freston.

If you care about your own health, the health of your children, the health of the planet and absolutely mind numbing cruelty to animals, you don't eat meat. Period.

We've long known that the livestock industry is far worse for the environment than any other pollution. And we know it contributes to heat disease, cancer, diabetes, obesity, kidney and liver disease and the list just on and on.

If you care about your own health, the health of your children, the health of the planet and absolutely mind numbing cruelty to animals, you don't eat meat. Period.
OMFG. That explains why duddy is so stupid, hes a vegan.

Given that I think I'll have steak and roast beef every night.......... :thup:

DDT was supposed to be safe as well. Agent Orange and asbestos as well.

Don't listen to the government. You'll live longer. :)

Need to quit trying to recommend a one-size-fits-all nutrition system and accept what works for some will kill others. :)

My grandfather has been limiting himself to 2-3 eggs per week due to the "cholesterol bad" thing. I think he is going to make up for lost time now.
Your body makes the cholesterol.

I've gone meatless for up to 2 years at a time, and still have the cholesterol of a polar bear.

It has little or nothing to do with what you eat.

Given that I think I'll have steak and roast beef every night.......... :thup:

ENJOY!!!!

Our overall health and longevity is entirely a function of our genes. Lifestyle factors and diet are all but irrelevant.
You can intentionally ruin yourself.

There are millions of morbidly obese Americans who have overridden their genetics and will die early from abuse of food.

But, within reason, you are right.

I will note that the rise of tobacco cut at least 20 years off the life of the average male in my paternal line.

And now they claim GMOs, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides are perfectly safe.

One would be wise to eliminate all grains including wheat, corn, and rice. All have been bastardized by big chemical and big food, with the full approval of the State.

Monsanto and other associated big companies own our government and have a revolving door at EPA, FDA, and other big gov agencies.

Our overall health and longevity is entirely a function of our genes. Lifestyle factors and diet are all but irrelevant.
I do not believe that for one second. You are fooling yourself and falling into the trap set for you by powerful interests.

And now they claim GMOs, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides are perfectly safe.

One would be wise to eliminate all grains including wheat, corn, and rice. All have been bastardized by big chemical and big food, with the full approval of the State.

Monsanto and other associated big companies own our government and have a revolving door at EPA, FDA, and other big gov agencies.

Think when governments describe things as safe, what they actually mean is "if you use this, you wont fall over dead." And while that might be true, what they aren't saying is "But it's gonna wreck havoc with your body increasing teh risks of various things, to say nothing of what it's gonna do to your genes and thus reproductive system." :)

Forum List

Back