Boomers, do you remember Jan 30th, 1968?

If I wanted to stay out of the service there were ways to do it. However, that was never going to be in the cards.

I actually volunteered to go to Vietnam. My first assignment was in Germany and I could have stayed there until I my enlistment was up. However, I wanted adventure so I asked to be assigned to Vietnam.

I take responsibility for my own actions. I don't blame other people.
I wasn't accusing you of any blame. It's just that there are some beautiful fireworks shows these days that I wish you could watch.

I do.

I was at Davis Station on the perimeter of Tan Son Nhut. The little bastards came through us to get to the flight line at TSN. We had a running battle with them in the compound but they were more interested in getting to the flight line than to have a knock down drag out with us.

A couple of days latter I was part of a detachment sent up to Dak To. We had to leave out of Bien Hoa because TSN was pretty much closed down. We got hit three times on the road trip to BH but fortunately no causalities.

When we got to Bien Hoa the flight was not available so we had to go to the 90th Replacement at Long Bien to spend the night. That night they blew up the ammo dump at Long Bien.

Then my sons wonder why I never liked fireworks on the 4th of July.

It was hectic as hell for a month afterwards. Interesting times.
Were you drafted or did you volunteer?
51jUxIEsfwL._SX339_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Tet Offensive - Wikipedia

The Vietnam conflict was well-justified. I blame neither Kennedy nor Johnson for its beginning or buildup. The logical but sad goal was an armistice, similar to what we had/have in Korea. This is what Nixon negotiated, but it required that the U.S. backstop the government of the Republic of Vietnam. When Nixon was tossed out, the North Vietnamese saw that the Democrat Congress was not willing to stand behind those guarantees, and took advantage.

Kennedys were heavily invested in WAR stocks and companies at the time---the war made them lots of $$$$.

Forum List

Back