Boomer music might be timeless

gipper

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2011
It certainly is great music.
queen.jpg

What Year Is It? The Number 1 and 2 Albums on iTunes Are 40 (Queen) and 50 (Joni Mitchell) Years Old

by Roger Friedman - July 4, 2021 10:25 pm
What year is it again?

Over the weekend, Queen’s Greatest Hits went to number 1 on iTunes. Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” is number 2.

They are from 1981 and 1971, respectively. I was 16 in 1973, I’m trying to imagine music from 1923 and 1933 suddenly being popular. And I can’t. ABBA, Journey, and Fleetwood Mac are also in the top 50. But HER Music’s first album, released last week, is a dud. And it shouldn’t be. Go figure.

PS Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Greatest Hits is number 14. It’s been in the top 10 for weeks. So have four of their singles. Maybe we’re in a time warp!
What Year Is It? The Number 1 and 2 Albums on iTunes Are 40 (Queen) and 50 (Joni Mitchell) Years Old

Music is timeless. Period. Good music is always timeless in my opinion!

Classical music, 1920s and 30s, and beyond.... loveliness will never die.

We Boomers had the best of everything.

It’s almost as if the entire purpose of the human experience here on planet earth was to make sure that the so called Boomers had the best of everything.

SooooOOOoooo.....is there anyone here born after 2000 that would like to tell us what they'd like to hear a band play in a bar?

~S~

I have been thinking about this phenomenon myself. In the Seventies, I heard a lot of music from the Fifties, but if I heard anything from the Forties or Thirties, then it was remade instrumentals for elevators. Here we are in the 2020's and the grocery stores play 80's. The rock stations still play the 70's and some 60's. I was on Bourbon Street a couple of years ago and the bars were playing 60's and 70's. I like the 90's grunge, and I hardly know anything from since then, because I cannot listen to bubble gum techno, or whatever they want to call it.

And I see kids, tweens and toddlers, with rock T-shirts; Beatles, Kiss, Metalica, Nirvana, Rolling Stones, . . .

So, yeah we grew up with probably the most music talent in history.

And then look at all of the other technological innovations we have watched evolve!!!

Quite a life!

Last edited:
If you are using music as measuring stick it must be true that music of the 60's through the 90's
showed an incredible flowering of creativity and popularity.

It just happens that way in various historical epochs.
Can't wait for someone with actual talent to lead us out of this wilderness of Tic Toc crap
and rap garbage.

queen.jpg

What year is it again?

Over the weekend, Queen’s Greatest Hits went to number 1 on iTunes. Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” is number 2.

They are from 1981 and 1971, respectively. I was 16 in 1973, I’m trying to imagine music from 1923 and 1933 suddenly being popular. And I can’t. ABBA, Journey, and Fleetwood Mac are also in the top 50. But HER Music’s first album, released last week, is a dud. And it shouldn’t be. Go figure.

PS Creedence Clearwater Revival’s Greatest Hits is number 14. It’s been in the top 10 for weeks. So have four of their singles. Maybe we’re in a time warp!
Even classical music from composers like Mozart and Beethoven is timeless.

Last edited:
If you are using music as measuring stick it must be true that music of the 60's through the 90's

Can't wait for someone with actual talent to lead us out of this wilderness of Tic Toc crap
and rap garbage.

Last edited:

and rap garbage.

Not that I mind hearing Queen but they play just a couple of songs they did, when they had about six albums worth of music, of course I had the eight track tapes of Queen and back in the 1970's they were not that popular along with disco with rockers.

For the fans of "bombastic" music that can be heard stirring people up in movies, I recommend the music produced by Two Steps From Hell. (Victory, Archangel, et cetera).

Music really hit the ground running by the 70's coming off of a decade of the 'British invasion', Woodstock, emotions high during the Vietnam war, the introduction of psychedelic drugs, the hippy movement, and so on....it was the perfect setting for musical creativity and inventiveness.

And the business was thriving in every possible way, sadly one of the stumbling blocks for the new generations. If you had a garage band in the 70's, 80's and 90's you were the coolest guys on the block and you had a future in a wide open industry.

Now if you have a garage band, the neighbors will complain and call the cops, and you're a bunch of losers, too lazy to get real jobs. Very sad.

queen.jpg

What year is it again?

I was a teenager from the late 50s to mid 60s when REAL rock and roll and country music ruled. This crap that passes for rock and roll and country music today you can have.

I can remember the first time I heard Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Queen. It was profound. However I grew up in Detroit when Motown was thriving. I remember hearing Marvin Gaye too. Damn could he sing.

I can remember the first time I heard Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Queen. It was profound. However I grew up in Detroit when Motown was thriving. I remember hearing Marvin Gaye too. Damn could he sing.
Every saturday morning American Bandstand was followed by Soul Train all through the 70's......we all knew who Marvin Gaye was.
We did the same. He was great. Always loved this tune. One of his many great hits.

Forum List

Back