Board Upgrade

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
My apologies for the downtime this morning. I've upgraded the board to the latest release of vB and it was trickier than I thought, and took longer than anticipated as a result of a large SQL database.

There will be some changes with the board in this version and I will do my best to update them in this thread.

Here are some of the changes:

Multi-Quote
The much-requested multi-quote feature allows users to tag multiple posts that they wish to respond to by clicking a small button on each post. Once the user clicks the reply button, each tagged post is quoted.

To increase usability, by default, only posts within the current thread are automatically quoted. If you wish to quote posts in other threads with multi-quote, you simply need to click a link on the reply page, and the text of those posts will be added without a reload.

Private Message Preview in Notification Emails
If you have elected to receive emails when receiving a new private message, the email will now contain more than just the name of the user who sent you the message. The title and body of the message will be included. Any BB codes in the message will automatically be converted to an equivalent plaintext version using the new plaintext bbcode parser.

Infraction System
The infraction system allows you and your moderators to flexibly reprimand problem users. Create as many types of infractions as you want to represent any type of rules violation on your board. Each infraction has a controllable weight (points) and an option to allow it to be applied only as a warning, which alerts the user to their violation but doesn’t give them any points. Additionally, the points given to a user for a violation can be automatically removed after a specified amount of time via the Scheduled Tasks system.

The points are used to remove permissions from users that reach specific thresholds. To be more flexible, the existing user group permission system is used.

*** The infraction system will not be implemented until further announcement ***

Pop Up List of Attachments in a Thread
The paperclip icon that denotes whether a thread contains attachments is now clickable. It will pop up a window that shows a list of all the attachments in the specified thread, including file size and number of views.

RSS Poster Robot
vBulletin 3.6 includes a new scheduled task that can check RSS feeds from the internet, read their contents and insert items from them onto your board.

*** This will be discussed over the next week, and we can have news stories imported automatically. Maybe a new forum for just news imports? ***

Receive Private Messages from Buddies Only
You may now select to receive private messages only from users on your buddy list. If a non-buddy tries to send you a message, they will receive an error saying that you do not accept private messages. Administrators and moderators are automatically able to bypass this restriction.

Private Messages: Quota Warning
Once you have reached 90% of your private message quota, you will receive a warning telling you that you have almost reached your quota.

This is just a few of hundreds of advancements but most are backend improvements, which hopefully will make the quality of the board much better.

I've added a few newsfeeds:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

These are viewable by everyone but no posting is allowed. These are here simply to make it easier to find good stories. Limited categories are added thus far until I see how you guys like it.

My post count WILL NOT increase as a result of my name being used by the robot to post stories.

Let me know if you all can see them correctly and what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

I've added a few newsfeeds:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

These are viewable by everyone but no posting is allowed. These are here simply to make it easier to find good stories. Limited categories are added thus far until I see how you guys like it.

My post count WILL NOT increase as a result of my name being used by the robot to post stories.

Let me know if you all can see them correctly and what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

I dont see those categories.

I like the idea of a 'news aggregate', (I know, you're all shocked!), however it seems to make the 'new pages' difficult to go through. Is there some way of making a seperate section for these, that we can access, but not have them create 2 or 3 pages of 'new posts?'

I'm confused as to what you mean. These stories are supposed to be posted as if it's a regular member posting in a forum. These news forums should appear no differently than any other forum, except that this is the first time I've used sub-forums to seperate the topics.

I'm confused as to what you mean. These stories are supposed to be posted as if it's a regular member posting in a forum. These news forums should appear no differently than any other forum, except that this is the first time I've used sub-forums to seperate the topics.
If you click the "new posts" button (as many of us do) it floods them with all these news stories. If they could be exempt from popping up this way, it'd be great. Many of us don't check each forum but rather just check to see the most recent threads. It's much more difficult with 50 news stories in there.

If you click the "new posts" button (as many of us do) it floods them with all these news stories. If they could be exempt from popping up this way, it'd be great. Many of us don't check each forum but rather just check to see the most recent threads. It's much more difficult with 50 news stories in there.

Gotcha! And I read your reply too, Kathianne.

I'll look into a way to exempt these from 'new posts. I'll update you guys when I find out more...

Not sure if this worked or not, at least until the next update. It's set to receive updates every half an hour, 5 posts at max. I have set the entire forum for the newsfeeds NOT to be searchable. That's not the greatest for when it gets large and users want to search, but may prevent it from showing up in 'new posts' as technically that is a search feature. Let me know if that works!

The RSS feeds should no longer show up when you click 'new posts'. I had to add an exclude statement so that none of the 4 forums show up (main and 3 subforums thus far).

The RSS feeds should no longer show up when you click 'new posts'. I had to add an exclude statement so that none of the 4 forums show up (main and 3 subforums thus far).

Thanks for that change, Jim. Like clayT, I use the new post button and had 2 pages of news this morning. I thought you flipped yer lid and were spammin your own board, until I found this thread.:)

Forum List

Back