Bull Ring @Bluzman61 Let's talk Sports.

Baseball Rules:

Bases loaded,
no outs.
Score tied at 3,
bottom of the 9th.
Infield up for possible play at the plate,
Outfield playing shallow to stop bloopers.

Batter swings at first pitch and hits hard grounder towards right field.
Ball bounces on ground two quick times, not touched or deflected by a defender, then hits the base runner that was on first headed to second.

What call does the umpire make?

Baseball Rules:

Bases loaded,
no outs.
Score tied at 3,
bottom of the 9th.
Infield up for possible play at the plate,
Outfield playing shallow to stop bloopers.

Batter swings at first pitch and hits hard grounder towards right field.
Ball bounces on ground two quick times, not touched or deflected by a defender, then hits the base runner that was on first headed to second.

What call does the umpire make?
Well, the runner that was on first headed for second is OUT I believe. The runners that were on second and third must go back to their bases, and the batter goes to first base. And there's now one out, with the bases loaded, and the score is still tied. This is what I THINK would happen. I did not use any help or look up anything for this answer. I'm pretty sure YOU probably had to look this up before posing the question. So if my answer is incorrect, please remember I answered with NO help. And if I'm incorrect, no sweat. I don't really pay that much attention to obscure rules of sports, I'm into STATS. So if there's anything you'd like to quiz me on statistics, fire away. Especially lifetime leaders in certain categories of all of the major sports, baseball, basketball, football or hockey. Thank you.

If I had an IQ of 147, I'd know that one.
Well, you DON'T, Toro, my dear. And please STAY THE FUCK OFF OUR PLAYING FIELD. Go pound some sand.

NO. I will NOT! Instead, I will RANDOMLY capitalize LETTERS because I DO not NOW THAT other POSTERS can INFER IN the english LANGUAGE what IS important AND wHat iS NoT!!!12323!!!!2

If I had an IQ of 147, I'd know that one.
Well, you DON'T, Toro, my dear. And please STAY THE FUCK OFF OUR PLAYING FIELD. Go pound some sand.

NO. I will NOT! Instead, I will RANDOMLY capitalize LETTERS because I DO not NOW THAT other POSTERS can INFER IN the english LANGUAGE what IS important AND wHat iS NoT!!!12323!!!!2
Aw, my dear Toro, you DO know I love you. I just got a bit peeved because you were interloping on our playing field. And by the way, where the fuck IS our buddy Winco? Ciao, for now, I have to get ready for my big trip to finally dine IN, and play trivia again at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. Yippy! I most likely won't be returning to this site until after 9PM Central time.

I'm pretty sure YOU probably had to look this up before posing the question.

I deserve more respect than that, c'mon. Sorry for the delay, I had to go to work. Just got home, thank you.

Your answer is correct in most cases.
There are times where a runner can be hit with a live fair ball that wasn't touched or deflected by a defender, and then the umpire would give the safe signal meaning the ball is still live, not dead.
This would happen if the infielders were playing in, and the batted ball hits the runner AFTER it has clearly passed the infielder and the infielder clearly has no play on the ball. In this case, the umpire would have to give the safe signal to signify that the ball is still live and play continues.

I'm pretty sure YOU probably had to look this up before posing the question.

I deserve more respect than that, c'mon. Sorry for the delay, I had to go to work. Just got home, thank you.

Your answer is correct in most cases.
There are times where a runner can be hit with a live fair ball that wasn't touched or deflected by a defender, and then the umpire would give the safe signal meaning the ball is still live, not dead.
This would happen if the infielders were playing in, and the batted ball hits the runner AFTER it has clearly passed the infielder and the infielder clearly has no play on the ball. In this case, the umpire would have to give the safe signal to signify that the ball is still live and play continues.
Sorry about my stupid ass remark, I KNOW that YOU know baseball. And thanks for the info about a possible scenario for the question you posed. I have a fairly easy question for you. Which player holds the all-time record for stolen bases in a season AND for a career? And I BELIEVE he's way up on the list for the all-time record for runs scored in a career. He MAY be the all-time leader in that category as well.

Ricky
Without looking I believe he had 130 in a Season.
I don’t know how many in his career
But he probably averaged 80 a year for 15 or so years so 1,200 career.
that seems low so I’m randomly adding 200
So 1400 Or so career

now I’m going to look it up

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Bingo! Very good. I think you're right about him stealing around 1400 for his career. And he IS the all-time leader in runs scored for a career.

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Hey, Winco, my friend, how YOU doin'? I hope you had a good day at work. I have a three-part question for you. Which MLB player holds the all-time record for most RBI in a season? Hint - He was in the National League. Which player holds the all-time record for RBI in a season in the American League? And which legendary player holds the all-time record for career RBI? I've committed these to memory. Good luck!

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Hey, Winco, my friend, how YOU doin'? I hope you had a good day at work. I have a three-part question for you. Which MLB player holds the all-time record for most RBI in a season? Hint - He was in the National League. Which player holds the all-time record for RBI in a season in the American League? And which legendary player holds the all-time record for career RBI? I've committed these to memory. Good luck!

Hack Wilson 190
Lou Gehrig 184

Career leader, not sure, but I know that Mays played 24 seasons and probably average about 100 per year, so I'm guessing the total is near 2,400, but I don't think it is Mays. Just using him as a reference.
So, Players that played many years.
Aaron played a lot of years.
So I guess Hank Aaron. about 2,400

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Hack Wilson 190
Lou Gehrig 184

Career leader, not sure, but I know that Mays played 24 seasons and probably average about 100 per year, so I'm guessing the total is near 2,400, but I don't think it is Mays. Just using him as a reference.
Wow, fantastic! You are correct on all three. And Aaron IS the all-time leader in career RBI, I believe with 2200 something. I'm quite impressed!

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Hack Wilson 190
Lou Gehrig 184

I checked, Aaron finished with 2,297 RBI.

Ricky
So 1400 Or so career

Hack Wilson 190
Lou Gehrig 184

Wow, fantastic! You are correct on all three. And Aaron IS the all-time leader in career RBI, I believe with 2200 something. I'm quite impressed!
Hey, Winco, I hope you had a good day at work today. I had a nice evening. Our local library isn't open for inside patrons yet, but you're able to check out materials using their curbside service. You call the library, tell them what you'd like to check out. They get that item or items for you and place it/them on hold for you. When you get to the library you park in one of the curbside spots, call the library number, and someone brings the item(s) to you. I was able to check out a book this way. The library will most likely open for inside patrons on Tuesday, May 26th. After getting the book, I went to my local Buffalo Wild Wings, saw a friend there, had a nice meal and some beer, and played some Buzztime Trivia. So it was a pleasant evening. I have a new question for you. Who are the MLB all-time leaders in career doubles and triples? I have these two committed to memory. These are a little tougher, they're both players I probably wouldn't have thought of as being the all-time leaders in these categories. But they are both in the MLB Hall of Fame. So this leaves out Pete Rose, of course.

The triples has to be an old time player
They used to hit 20+ triples a year.
Wagner,Cobb,lajoile, collins. one of those type.
doubles could be more of a power Guy but long career is the key. I’m still learning oldies like the list above.
so I guess one of those 4 for each category.

doubles could be more of a power Guy but long career is the key. I’m still learning oldies like the list above.
Some great guesses there. Ty Cobb is second in career triples, behind only Sam Crawford, who played in the same outfield for quite a few years with Cobb. If I hadn't already known the answer, I would've guessed Cobb as well. The career leader in doubles is another great old-timer, Tris Speaker. He hit an incredible 792 career doubles. I believe Crawford hit 312 triples, but I'm not sure of the exact number.

Some great guesses there. Ty Cobb is second in career triples, behind only Sam Crawford, who played in the same outfield for quite a few years with Cobb. If I hadn't already known the answer, I would've guessed Cobb as well. The career leader in doubles is another great old-timer, Tris Speaker. He hit an incredible 792 career doubles. I believe Crawford hit 312 triples, but I'm not sure of the exact number.
Crawford had 309 triples and Cobb had 295.

Forum List

Back