Bloomberg Helping Ex Felons In Florida To Vote

1. Nope. Kind of soured on gun rights right now, but other folks are for restoring gun rights, they can deal with it.
2. Not sure....probably not. Voting is an integral right in the democratic process, running for office is not.

A bit strange than that if you're NOT HOT on restoring felon rights for GUN Ownership or running for office -- that you're spending THIS MUCH time defending their right to vote? Do ya get the irony there or not?

In reality -- I'm in favor of a path to restore EVERYTHING to felons over a long process.. But WITHOUT being used as political pawns or political wedge issues.. YEP -- vote, guns, child custody, becoming a mayor or even Governor..
I don't think voting rights are much of a disincentive. People don't think, before robbing a bank...what if I get caught and lose my right to vote?

There is no need to tighten anything to compensate. Many states already restore voting rights. Originally - only those who had committed truly horrific crimes had there voting rights permanently removed (and I'm fine with that) - but many felonies do not fall in that category.

Again -- USUALLY those who favor restoring felon rights like I do -- are MORE CONCERNED about the all SUBSTANTIALLY more serious lost rights than voting.. But voting gets you RAZZED UP - for some reason -- dont it????

There is no irony.

VOTING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RIGHT IN A REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY.

What part of that do you NOT GET?

It is also a right that has been infringed on too easily historically, to prevent certain groups from voting.

Removing voting rights from felons today, is based on a legacy of racist laws inacted after emancipation to prevent black people from voting. Prior to that, it was only done for tbe most egregious crimes. why is it so important that felons be denied the right to vote once they have completed their sentence? Why exactly should it be a “long process”. In fact seems to me denying them this right is itself a political wedge issue. Florida passed by ballot initiative, a constitutional amendment restoring voting rights to felons. Republicans have been doing everything they can to overturn it. Now that is political.

I am all for returning all their rights...with some exceptions. Some one who committed a crime of violence should never have a gun and someone who committed a crime that violated their professional licensure and caused harm should not have it restored. But in a country, where much of the world lacks the abiliyt to vote, voting is an important right.
So what about the Bernie Madoffs of the world? He wasn't violent? I think felony is why you cant get those.....it's made into the designation....if you get a misdemeanor you don't lose your rights, so when you get a felony, it's egregious enough to remove those rights.

But the problem is - not all felonies are equal in terms of egregiousness - they vary from state to state.
That may be, but the states decide......every state has felonies and misdemeanors.....the felonies are considered bad enough to revoke certain rights.....I don't know how else to do it...

And that state discretion is exactly why it should be illegal to revoke voting rights.
The states then can easily only revoke voting rights of groups it does not like, such as Blacks.

1. Nope. Kind of soured on gun rights right now, but other folks are for restoring gun rights, they can deal with it.
2. Not sure....probably not. Voting is an integral right in the democratic process, running for office is not.

A bit strange than that if you're NOT HOT on restoring felon rights for GUN Ownership or running for office -- that you're spending THIS MUCH time defending their right to vote? Do ya get the irony there or not?

In reality -- I'm in favor of a path to restore EVERYTHING to felons over a long process.. But WITHOUT being used as political pawns or political wedge issues.. YEP -- vote, guns, child custody, becoming a mayor or even Governor..
I don't think voting rights are much of a disincentive. People don't think, before robbing a bank...what if I get caught and lose my right to vote?

There is no need to tighten anything to compensate. Many states already restore voting rights. Originally - only those who had committed truly horrific crimes had there voting rights permanently removed (and I'm fine with that) - but many felonies do not fall in that category.

Again -- USUALLY those who favor restoring felon rights like I do -- are MORE CONCERNED about the all SUBSTANTIALLY more serious lost rights than voting.. But voting gets you RAZZED UP - for some reason -- dont it????

There is no irony.

It is also a right that has been infringed on too easily historically, to prevent certain groups from voting.

Removing voting rights from felons today, is based on a legacy of racist laws inacted after emancipation to prevent black people from voting. Prior to that, it was only done for tbe most egregious crimes. why is it so important that felons be denied the right to vote once they have completed their sentence? Why exactly should it be a “long process”. In fact seems to me denying them this right is itself a political wedge issue. Florida passed by ballot initiative, a constitutional amendment restoring voting rights to felons. Republicans have been doing everything they can to overturn it. Now that is political.

I am all for returning all their rights...with some exceptions. Some one who committed a crime of violence should never have a gun and someone who committed a crime that violated their professional licensure and caused harm should not have it restored. But in a country, where much of the world lacks the abiliyt to vote, voting is an important right.
So what about the Bernie Madoffs of the world? He wasn't violent? I think felony is why you cant get those.....it's made into the designation....if you get a misdemeanor you don't lose your rights, so when you get a felony, it's egregious enough to remove those rights.

But the problem is - not all felonies are equal in terms of egregiousness - they vary from state to state.
That may be, but the states decide......every state has felonies and misdemeanors.....the felonies are considered bad enough to revoke certain rights.....I don't know how else to do it...

And that state discretion is exactly why it should be illegal to revoke voting rights.
The states then can easily only revoke voting rights of groups it does not like, such as Blacks.
So they will make being black a felony?

I know the republicans wont do that....the dems you never know....but it's unconstitutional

I wonder have democrats ever considered that they are just as wrong as people think they are - when their plan to victory involves getting elected by felons.

Obviously felons should not vote. There already are enough democrats who vote just like criminals - not for the benefit of the nation but to buy themselves free shit.

Why, assuming they did their time? The initial big push for felonies (other than the most egregious) to be ineligible for voting was racism. I don't care if they vote, just like I don't care if RWNJ racists vote. It's an American right.

You all for restoring their gun rights also? How about running for political office.. We DO need more professional criminals in politics.

I'm OK with them rejoining society, but it lowers the disincentives for committing crimes.. So MAYBE -- the sentencing and parole procedures need to be tightened to compensate.

It's clear that this story about Bloomberg is correct.. They selected only the "Cheaper pay-outs" -- less than $2000.. And the process is not complete unless the FELON follows thru with a state appeal.. SO -- I'm CERTAIN that the organization that Bloomberg formed has VERBAL maybe physical contact with the recipient to make sure that they follow thru QUICKLY on submitting the paperwork in time for the Nov election. Time's running out in Florida to register.. Don't KNOW the date -- but even if they miss this election, that adds a city size chunk of Dem voters to the rolls. And when the felon ASKS where the money comes from -- Bloomberg craftily added a funding arm with prime sports/entertainment figures covering his money.. A bit like laundering the "quo"...

But it would only take ONE of these beneficiaries to rat them out and MAKE it completely illegal if they were TOLD that prominent Democrats were SOLELY behind the efforts "to help them vote"... But the rest of us KNOW -- this is already obvious. Sorry you dont get it..

does not seem illegal to me------take a felon to lunch kinda thing
You can take a felon to lunch-----but if you take him to lunch so he will vote for your candidate and especially if you are dumb enough to admit it---then you get to go to prison. Bloomberg has been in NY to long---he thinks he is above the law and can buy votes----Florida isn't New York

And you and everyone else should know deep down inside that buying votes is illegal and immoral.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that Bloomberg is particularly moral, but you guys have a ways to go to prove he is "buying" votes. So far - your arguements could apply to anyone who donates to this group and hopes they will vote a certain way afterwards.

Who needs to prove it, he wrote about it.

Can you show me where he wrote that he is donating this money with the contingency that the recipients must vote for Biden? If he did that, then yes, he royally screwed himself.
And why are we going down this rabbit hole....................contingency or not makes no different...he admitted that he was donating the money in order to buy votes from felons who expected to net him around 30000 votes in florida basically....this is a FELONY in Florida. And btw under rico conspiracy charges when one is guilty all are--------so now we got Bloomberg and all of those other racist dem thugs like LeBron James...the only thing that may save them is that I dont think they actually gave out any of the money yet-----------
Anyone can pay fines and fees for anyone.

Nothing illegal. Quite noble of Mayor Mike, in fact.
Not when you are doing it to buy votes---then it becomes a felony.

You can DONATE money - but regardless of what he says, it isn't a felony unless it can be shown that there was a quid pro quo attached to the money. And, an investigation might well turn that up but as of now I don't see strings attached saying you get the money only if you vote for xyz.

There doesn't have to be a quid pro quo. The intent of giving the money was to influence the person TO vote regardless of how they do. That's the way the law is written.

Can't be.
There could never be anything illegal about rewarding people for voting, as long as the reward is not contingent upon who you voted for.

I wonder have democrats ever considered that they are just as wrong as people think they are - when their plan to victory involves getting elected by felons.

Obviously felons should not vote. There already are enough democrats who vote just like criminals - not for the benefit of the nation but to buy themselves free shit.

Why, assuming they did their time? The initial big push for felonies (other than the most egregious) to be ineligible for voting was racism. I don't care if they vote, just like I don't care if RWNJ racists vote. It's an American right.

You all for restoring their gun rights also? How about running for political office.. We DO need more professional criminals in politics.

I'm OK with them rejoining society, but it lowers the disincentives for committing crimes.. So MAYBE -- the sentencing and parole procedures need to be tightened to compensate.

It's clear that this story about Bloomberg is correct.. They selected only the "Cheaper pay-outs" -- less than $2000.. And the process is not complete unless the FELON follows thru with a state appeal.. SO -- I'm CERTAIN that the organization that Bloomberg formed has VERBAL maybe physical contact with the recipient to make sure that they follow thru QUICKLY on submitting the paperwork in time for the Nov election. Time's running out in Florida to register.. Don't KNOW the date -- but even if they miss this election, that adds a city size chunk of Dem voters to the rolls. And when the felon ASKS where the money comes from -- Bloomberg craftily added a funding arm with prime sports/entertainment figures covering his money.. A bit like laundering the "quo"...

But it would only take ONE of these beneficiaries to rat them out and MAKE it completely illegal if they were TOLD that prominent Democrats were SOLELY behind the efforts "to help them vote"... But the rest of us KNOW -- this is already obvious. Sorry you dont get it..

You can take a felon to lunch-----but if you take him to lunch so he will vote for your candidate and especially if you are dumb enough to admit it---then you get to go to prison. Bloomberg has been in NY to long---he thinks he is above the law and can buy votes----Florida isn't New York

And you and everyone else should know deep down inside that buying votes is illegal and immoral.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that Bloomberg is particularly moral, but you guys have a ways to go to prove he is "buying" votes. So far - your arguements could apply to anyone who donates to this group and hopes they will vote a certain way afterwards.

Can you show me where he wrote that he is donating this money with the contingency that the recipients must vote for Biden? If he did that, then yes, he royally screwed himself.
And why are we going down this rabbit hole....................contingency or not makes no different...he admitted that he was donating the money in order to buy votes from felons who expected to net him around 30000 votes in florida basically....this is a FELONY in Florida. And btw under rico conspiracy charges when one is guilty all are--------so now we got Bloomberg and all of those other racist dem thugs like LeBron James...the only thing that may save them is that I dont think they actually gave out any of the money yet-----------

You can DONATE money - but regardless of what he says, it isn't a felony unless it can be shown that there was a quid pro quo attached to the money. And, an investigation might well turn that up but as of now I don't see strings attached saying you get the money only if you vote for xyz.

There doesn't have to be a quid pro quo. The intent of giving the money was to influence the person TO vote regardless of how they do. That's the way the law is written.

Can't be.
There could never be anything illegal about rewarding people for voting, as long as the reward is not contingent upon who you voted for.

You are forgetting that the entire reason he is paying them is because the way they vote.

Democrats are the party of criminals, he is confident of that.

Can't be.
That is what I thought...

There is no irony.

So they will make being black a felony?

I know the republicans wont do that....the dems you never know....but it's unconstitutional

Local governments get around the fact they can not make being Black a felony, by just charging Blacks with other felonies more, like drugs.
Which is why all drug laws also are wrong.

Can't be.

You are forgetting that the entire reason he is paying them is because the way they vote.

Except he is not paying them, but only paying their fines, which does not really benefit them necessarily. Since they should already be able to vote, it is just rectifying a wrong.

the law says you can't give money to encourage registration. But a felon only gets money if he's already registered, and he/she can keep the money and not vote. LOL

I *think* you are wrong about that. that means someone, renting a bus, to drive people to the polls to vote is breaking the law.

I *think* you are wrong about that. that means someone, renting a bus, to drive people to the polls to vote is breaking the law.

What he is doing is far more significant than giving someone a ride. These people could not vote at all if it wasn't for him.

It's absolutely scandalous and sums up the democrat non-morality in its entirety.

Can't be.

True, but I don't think it will be illegal...it says you can pay someone's fees, you just can't require them to do an action, so if Bloomberg just pays the fee, he's ok, if he has a contingency where they have to register to vote or vote for a democrat...then he's in big trouble.

What he is doing is far more significant than giving someone a ride. These people could not vote at all if it wasn't for him.

It's absolutely scandalous and sums up the democrat non-morality in its entirety.

Not really...if people had no way to get to the polls they can't vote.

Yes, but people DO HAVE ways to get to the polls. Are you retarded? We don't live in the planned shithole of the democrats thank God.

Yes, but people DO HAVE ways to get to the polls. Are you retarded? We don't yet live in the planned shithole of the democrats thank God.

And felons, conceivably have ways of paying fines and registering to vote - even without Bloomberg.

This is how to get around the new Florida scheme to prevent former felons from voting in Florida.

Bloomberg is paying their fines and restitution. He's paying for over 31 thousand ex felons fines so that they can vote in the election this November.

So nearly 32 thousand more people in Florida will be able to vote in November.

I wonder how the governor and the republicans in Florida are going to prevent them from voting now. I'm sure they are working hard to come up with another scheme to take voting rights away from legal voters.

He is buying votes! This is wrong and even Dema should be against it. He is paying off fines and fees so they will vote for who he wants. That is bribery. Bloomberg has not a ethical bone in his body.
And the Dems try to tell us they won’t engage on voter fraud. Smh

Yes, but people DO HAVE ways to get to the polls. Are you retarded? We don't yet live in the planned shithole of the democrats thank God.

And felons, conceivably have ways of paying fines and registering to vote - even without Bloomberg.

No they do not, because they don't have the money to do so.

Your reasoning ability is an embarrassment.

Not under this law. Renting a bus to drive people to vote is not a thing of value. Bloomberg can make speeches about voting, and yes, rent busses for people to vote, but he can't pay them off to vote which is what he's doing here.

If you gave me a ride to the store in your car, you helped me out, but didn't provide anything of financial value. If you paid off my credit card, then you would be providing me something of financial value.

Amazingly, the fla law actually exempts that

104.012 Consideration for registration; interference with registration; soliciting registrations for compensation; alteration of registration application.—
(1) Any person who gives anything of value that is redeemable in cash to any person in consideration for his or her becoming a registered voter commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. This section shall not be interpreted, however, to exclude such services as transportation to the place of registration or baby-sitting in connection with the absence of an elector from home for registering.

Not under this law. Renting a bus to drive people to vote is not a thing of value. Bloomberg can make speeches about voting, and yes, rent busses for people to vote, but he can't pay them off to vote which is what he's doing here.

If you gave me a ride to the store in your car, you helped me out, but didn't provide anything of financial value. If you paid off my credit card, then you would be providing me something of financial value.

But see that's where I think you might be wrong on this - he isn't paying them directly right? He's paying a non-profit? And what do they do?

This is how to get around the new Florida scheme to prevent former felons from voting in Florida.

Bloomberg is paying their fines and restitution. He's paying for over 31 thousand ex felons fines so that they can vote in the election this November.

So nearly 32 thousand more people in Florida will be able to vote in November.

I wonder how the governor and the republicans in Florida are going to prevent them from voting now. I'm sure they are working hard to come up with another scheme to take voting rights away from legal voters.

Good.

Forum List

Back