Bloomberg Helping Ex Felons In Florida To Vote

1. Nope. Kind of soured on gun rights right now, but other folks are for restoring gun rights, they can deal with it.
2. Not sure....probably not. Voting is an integral right in the democratic process, running for office is not.

A bit strange than that if you're NOT HOT on restoring felon rights for GUN Ownership or running for office -- that you're spending THIS MUCH time defending their right to vote? Do ya get the irony there or not?

In reality -- I'm in favor of a path to restore EVERYTHING to felons over a long process.. But WITHOUT being used as political pawns or political wedge issues.. YEP -- vote, guns, child custody, becoming a mayor or even Governor..
I don't think voting rights are much of a disincentive. People don't think, before robbing a bank...what if I get caught and lose my right to vote?

There is no need to tighten anything to compensate. Many states already restore voting rights. Originally - only those who had committed truly horrific crimes had there voting rights permanently removed (and I'm fine with that) - but many felonies do not fall in that category.

Again -- USUALLY those who favor restoring felon rights like I do -- are MORE CONCERNED about the all SUBSTANTIALLY more serious lost rights than voting.. But voting gets you RAZZED UP - for some reason -- dont it????

There is no irony.

VOTING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RIGHT IN A REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY.

What part of that do you NOT GET?

It is also a right that has been infringed on too easily historically, to prevent certain groups from voting.

Removing voting rights from felons today, is based on a legacy of racist laws inacted after emancipation to prevent black people from voting. Prior to that, it was only done for tbe most egregious crimes. why is it so important that felons be denied the right to vote once they have completed their sentence? Why exactly should it be a “long process”. In fact seems to me denying them this right is itself a political wedge issue. Florida passed by ballot initiative, a constitutional amendment restoring voting rights to felons. Republicans have been doing everything they can to overturn it. Now that is political.

I am all for returning all their rights...with some exceptions. Some one who committed a crime of violence should never have a gun and someone who committed a crime that violated their professional licensure and caused harm should not have it restored. But in a country, where much of the world lacks the abiliyt to vote, voting is an important right.
So what about the Bernie Madoffs of the world? He wasn't violent? I think felony is why you cant get those.....it's made into the designation....if you get a misdemeanor you don't lose your rights, so when you get a felony, it's egregious enough to remove those rights.

This is how to get around the new Florida scheme to prevent former felons from voting in Florida.

Bloomberg is paying their fines and restitution. He's paying for over 31 thousand ex felons fines so that they can vote in the election this November.

So nearly 32 thousand more people in Florida will be able to vote in November.

I wonder how the governor and the republicans in Florida are going to prevent them from voting now. I'm sure they are working hard to come up with another scheme to take voting rights away from legal voters.

I saw that. Isn't democracy a "terrible" thing? (sarcasm)
Uhhh, this may be a horse of a different color.

Bloomberg Under Investigation For Felony Vote Buying In Florida.

1600907569273.png

The Hill and others reported that failed Democrat presidential candidate the diminutive Michael Bloomberg has raised over $16 million to help convicted felons in Florida register to vote. The monetary obligations for 32,000 criminals have already been paid, Axios reported. The action may have been a criminal act and it is being investigated by Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody.

Former Department of Justice attorney, J. Christian Adams argued that Bloomberg is breaking federal, and possibly, state law. Essentially he is buying votes from felons, even though a 2018 state law reinstates voting rights for felons provided they pay all fines, fees, and restitution owed to the government.

Also, Adams said tax implications are involved in this scheme as the former jailbirds need to report Bloomberg’s cash gifts as taxable income.

Rep. Matt Gaetz(R-FL) also believes Bloomberg is breaking the law. He has called for a criminal investigation of Bloomberg:

‘[Under Florida law] it’s a third-degree felony for someone to either directly or indirectly provide something of value to impact whether or not someone votes,’ Gaetz explained. ‘So the question is whether or not paying off someone’s fines and legal obligations counts as something of value, and it clearly does.’​

‘If Michael Bloomberg was offering to pay off people’s credit card debt,’ Gaetz added, ‘you would obviously see the value in that.’​

‘[W]hen you improve someone’s net worth by eliminating their financial liabilities, that’s something of value.’​

‘Normally, it would be very difficult to prove that that was directly linked to impacting whether or not someone was going to vote. But they literally wrote their own admission.’​
A memo from the Bloomberg team, obtained Tuesday by the Washington Post, may turn out to be a smoking gun. The memo explained that the billionaire businessman saw paying off the felony debts as “a more cost-effective way” of adding Democrat votes as opposed to convincing people to change their vote. “We have identified a significant vote share that requires a nominal investment. The data shows that in Florida, Black voters are a unique universe unlike any other voting bloc, where the Democratic support rate tends to be 90%-95%.”

It is just adaucious how much Democrats simply assume that they wont be prosecuted for this shit. They know the DC Establishment has their back.

Beyond Bloomberg, several philanthropic groups have poured money into paying off debts owed by felons - including a nonprofit founded by LeBron James. Bloomberg's effort, meanwhile, is "narrowly focused only on Black and Hispanic voters" whose debts are less than $1,500.
"Mike wanted to get this done for two reasons," a Bloomberg adviser told the Post. "One, because it’s the right thing to do for the democracy. And two, because it immediately activates tens of thousands of voters who are predisposed to vote for Joe Biden."
The Bloomberg memo pointed out that the 31,790 targeted voters, including 25,548 who are Black, are nearly equivalent to the margin by which Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis won election in 2018, and about three times as big as the margin that elected Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) that same year.
It said Florida voters have largely already made up their minds about the November election, leaving “only a small margin of voters that are targets for persuasion.” -Washington Post
"We know to win Florida we will need to persuade, motivate and add new votes to the Biden column," reads the document. "This means we need to explore all avenues for finding the needed votes when so many votes are already determined."

Buying votes is a Democrat tradition, but it is illegal and they dont give a shit.

go Mike, fuck right wing traitors!!!!!

View attachment 392228
you're a European go fuck yourself you have your own issues to take care of

How is paying felons' fines buying votes.

They can vote for whomever they waynt.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW
There is no irony.

All of it.. More important than GETTING EMPLOYED? More important than having a right to take your own child away from a crack addict mother? LIFE is more important than voting.,. And I'll toss in self protection and gun rights into that..

Don't think you've pondered all the CITIZEN BENEFITS that felons cant receive.. They basically HAVE NO LIFE or rights. So voting alone is a cynical way to "help" them...

Are we talking about rights or Rights?

Because you are making this a whole lot broader... And yes, I probably DO NOT know all of what is denied them, since it varies by state. But the issue, not just now but for some time across this country, has been restoring voting rights. This has not been a sudden 2020 moment.

Different groups fight for different rights...like NRA for 2A. They don’t focus on the whole spectrum of rights. So is that cynical?

As a member of a group that did not attain voting rights until 1920 ... I consider it important.

Just seems awfully strange that you're putting yourself out to fix their VOTING and not loss of EVERY OTHER RIGHT that they suffer. Generally won't REALLY be appreciated as much as you may think...

But it was the VOTERS of Fla who passed an initiative to restore their voting rights and NOT "the rest of their lives".. Seems odd to me that ANY of these ex-felons would be really grateful...

The legal battle stems from a constitutional amendment passed by Florida voters in 2018 that allows most felons to vote after their sentences are complete. Those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense are not included.

In response, the Republican-controlled state Legislature passed and Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a law requiring that felons first pay all of their financial obligations.

"Because court costs and fees are legitimate parts of a criminal sentence – that is, part of the debt to society that felons must pay for their crimes – there is no basis to regard them as a tax," the appeals court ruled.

Most states restore felons' voting rights after their sentences are complete. Many states impose additional requirements. Florida is among 11 states with the most restrictive rules, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

You know what? It shouldn't seem odd. I have always been a strong proponent of voting rights and opposed to measures that disenfranchise people. The only reason it seems odd to you is because you've paid no attention to the other times I have brought up voting disenfranchisement (other than felons). Why is that?

I wonder have democrats ever considered that they are just as wrong as people think they are - when their plan to victory involves getting elected by felons.

Obviously felons should not vote. There already are enough democrats who vote just like criminals - not for the benefit of the nation but to buy themselves free shit.

Why, assuming they did their time? The initial big push for felonies (other than the most egregious) to be ineligible for voting was racism. I don't care if they vote, just like I don't care if RWNJ racists vote. It's an American right.

You all for restoring their gun rights also? How about running for political office.. We DO need more professional criminals in politics.

I'm OK with them rejoining society, but it lowers the disincentives for committing crimes.. So MAYBE -- the sentencing and parole procedures need to be tightened to compensate.

It's clear that this story about Bloomberg is correct.. They selected only the "Cheaper pay-outs" -- less than $2000.. And the process is not complete unless the FELON follows thru with a state appeal.. SO -- I'm CERTAIN that the organization that Bloomberg formed has VERBAL maybe physical contact with the recipient to make sure that they follow thru QUICKLY on submitting the paperwork in time for the Nov election. Time's running out in Florida to register.. Don't KNOW the date -- but even if they miss this election, that adds a city size chunk of Dem voters to the rolls. And when the felon ASKS where the money comes from -- Bloomberg craftily added a funding arm with prime sports/entertainment figures covering his money.. A bit like laundering the "quo"...

But it would only take ONE of these beneficiaries to rat them out and MAKE it completely illegal if they were TOLD that prominent Democrats were SOLELY behind the efforts "to help them vote"... But the rest of us KNOW -- this is already obvious. Sorry you dont get it..

does not seem illegal to me------take a felon to lunch kinda thing
You can take a felon to lunch-----but if you take him to lunch so he will vote for your candidate and especially if you are dumb enough to admit it---then you get to go to prison. Bloomberg has been in NY to long---he thinks he is above the law and can buy votes----Florida isn't New York

And you and everyone else should know deep down inside that buying votes is illegal and immoral.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that Bloomberg is particularly moral, but you guys have a ways to go to prove he is "buying" votes. So far - your arguements could apply to anyone who donates to this group and hopes they will vote a certain way afterwards.

Who needs to prove it, he wrote about it.

Can you show me where he wrote that he is donating this money with the contingency that the recipients must vote for Biden? If he did that, then yes, he royally screwed himself.
And why are we going down this rabbit hole....................contingency or not makes no different...he admitted that he was donating the money in order to buy votes from felons who expected to net him around 30000 votes in florida basically....this is a FELONY in Florida. And btw under rico conspiracy charges when one is guilty all are--------so now we got Bloomberg and all of those other racist dem thugs like LeBron James...the only thing that may save them is that I dont think they actually gave out any of the money yet-----------
Anyone can pay fines and fees for anyone.

Nothing illegal. Quite noble of Mayor Mike, in fact.
Not when you are doing it to buy votes---then it becomes a felony.

You can DONATE money - but regardless of what he says, it isn't a felony unless it can be shown that there was a quid pro quo attached to the money. And, an investigation might well turn that up but as of now I don't see strings attached saying you get the money only if you vote for xyz.

There is no irony.

All of it.. More important than GETTING EMPLOYED? More important than having a right to take your own child away from a crack addict mother? LIFE is more important than voting.,. And I'll toss in self protection and gun rights into that..

Don't think you've pondered all the CITIZEN BENEFITS that felons cant receive.. They basically HAVE NO LIFE or rights. So voting alone is a cynical way to "help" them...

Are we talking about rights or Rights?

Because you are making this a whole lot broader... And yes, I probably DO NOT know all of what is denied them, since it varies by state. But the issue, not just now but for some time across this country, has been restoring voting rights. This has not been a sudden 2020 moment.

Different groups fight for different rights...like NRA for 2A. They don’t focus on the whole spectrum of rights. So is that cynical?

As a member of a group that did not attain voting rights until 1920 ... I consider it important.

Just seems awfully strange that you're putting yourself out to fix their VOTING and not loss of EVERY OTHER RIGHT that they suffer. Generally won't REALLY be appreciated as much as you may think...

But it was the VOTERS of Fla who passed an initiative to restore their voting rights and NOT "the rest of their lives".. Seems odd to me that ANY of these ex-felons would be really grateful...

The legal battle stems from a constitutional amendment passed by Florida voters in 2018 that allows most felons to vote after their sentences are complete. Those convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense are not included.

In response, the Republican-controlled state Legislature passed and Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a law requiring that felons first pay all of their financial obligations.

"Because court costs and fees are legitimate parts of a criminal sentence – that is, part of the debt to society that felons must pay for their crimes – there is no basis to regard them as a tax," the appeals court ruled.

Most states restore felons' voting rights after their sentences are complete. Many states impose additional requirements. Florida is among 11 states with the most restrictive rules, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

I believe you may be wrong on this one. Coyote was certainly cheering all the way as the criminals were released from prison to Burn, Loot and Murder because of the virus. On an election year of course, because the party that is morally just really needs those criminal votes.

As usual, you lie.

1. Nope. Kind of soured on gun rights right now, but other folks are for restoring gun rights, they can deal with it.
2. Not sure....probably not. Voting is an integral right in the democratic process, running for office is not.

A bit strange than that if you're NOT HOT on restoring felon rights for GUN Ownership or running for office -- that you're spending THIS MUCH time defending their right to vote? Do ya get the irony there or not?

In reality -- I'm in favor of a path to restore EVERYTHING to felons over a long process.. But WITHOUT being used as political pawns or political wedge issues.. YEP -- vote, guns, child custody, becoming a mayor or even Governor..
I don't think voting rights are much of a disincentive. People don't think, before robbing a bank...what if I get caught and lose my right to vote?

There is no need to tighten anything to compensate. Many states already restore voting rights. Originally - only those who had committed truly horrific crimes had there voting rights permanently removed (and I'm fine with that) - but many felonies do not fall in that category.

Again -- USUALLY those who favor restoring felon rights like I do -- are MORE CONCERNED about the all SUBSTANTIALLY more serious lost rights than voting.. But voting gets you RAZZED UP - for some reason -- dont it????

There is no irony.

It is also a right that has been infringed on too easily historically, to prevent certain groups from voting.

Removing voting rights from felons today, is based on a legacy of racist laws inacted after emancipation to prevent black people from voting. Prior to that, it was only done for tbe most egregious crimes. why is it so important that felons be denied the right to vote once they have completed their sentence? Why exactly should it be a “long process”. In fact seems to me denying them this right is itself a political wedge issue. Florida passed by ballot initiative, a constitutional amendment restoring voting rights to felons. Republicans have been doing everything they can to overturn it. Now that is political.

I am all for returning all their rights...with some exceptions. Some one who committed a crime of violence should never have a gun and someone who committed a crime that violated their professional licensure and caused harm should not have it restored. But in a country, where much of the world lacks the abiliyt to vote, voting is an important right.
So what about the Bernie Madoffs of the world? He wasn't violent? I think felony is why you cant get those.....it's made into the designation....if you get a misdemeanor you don't lose your rights, so when you get a felony, it's egregious enough to remove those rights.

But the problem is - not all felonies are equal in terms of egregiousness - they vary from state to state.

There is no irony.

But the problem is - not all felonies are equal in terms of egregiousness - they vary from state to state.
That may be, but the states decide......every state has felonies and misdemeanors.....the felonies are considered bad enough to revoke certain rights.....I don't know how else to do it...

Lol, not hardly.

A person can have a completely fullfilled life of incredible happiness and fullfillment and never have voted even one time.

Free speech and the right of self defense are far more important.

But you do have the rhetorical points from the DNC down well.

Nothing requires 'who' pays fines and penalties in FL to restore a felon's voting rights.
Voters who were already registered to vote, Black or Latino, and had fines and fees of less than $1500 were eligible for the payback initiative.

Mighty Mite Mike delivers an overhand right to Trump's left nut. LOL

This is how to get around the new Florida scheme to prevent former felons from voting in Florida.

Bloomberg is paying their fines and restitution. He's paying for over 31 thousand ex felons fines so that they can vote in the election this November.

I wonder how the governor and the republicans in Florida are going to prevent them from voting now. I'm sure they are working hard to come up with another scheme to take voting rights away from legal voters.

While I do believe that once people have served their time and made their restitution their voting rights should be restored, it certainly says something about your party that you assume ex felons are going to vote Democratic, doesn't it?
They are likely not to even care about voting....

In Maine no felon loses their right to vote, except for violent crimes like murder perhaps....

And very few inmates vote even though their right to vote, was never taken away.....I think it is less than 20%

While I do believe that once people have served their time and made their restitution their voting rights should be restored, it certainly says something about your party that you assume ex felons are going to vote Democratic, doesn't it?
They are likely not to even care about voting....

In Maine no felon loses their right to vote, except for violent crimes like murder perhaps....

And very few inmates vote even though their right to vote, was never taken away.....I think it is less than 20%

I read on average about 14%.

Lol, not hardly.

A person can have a completely fullfilled life of incredible happiness and fullfillment and never have voted even one time.

Free speech and the right of self defense are far more important.

But you do have the rhetorical points from the DNC down well.
I went 20 years without voting, mostly 20s and 30s, and paid attention to none of it!

Those were some of the happiest and most full filing years in my career and life!

But, the ignorance is bliss situation, couldn't go on forever, and here I am! :(

I wonder have democrats ever considered that they are just as wrong as people think they are - when their plan to victory involves getting elected by felons.

Obviously felons should not vote. There already are enough democrats who vote just like criminals - not for the benefit of the nation but to buy themselves free shit.

Why, assuming they did their time? The initial big push for felonies (other than the most egregious) to be ineligible for voting was racism. I don't care if they vote, just like I don't care if RWNJ racists vote. It's an American right.

You all for restoring their gun rights also? How about running for political office.. We DO need more professional criminals in politics.

I'm OK with them rejoining society, but it lowers the disincentives for committing crimes.. So MAYBE -- the sentencing and parole procedures need to be tightened to compensate.

It's clear that this story about Bloomberg is correct.. They selected only the "Cheaper pay-outs" -- less than $2000.. And the process is not complete unless the FELON follows thru with a state appeal.. SO -- I'm CERTAIN that the organization that Bloomberg formed has VERBAL maybe physical contact with the recipient to make sure that they follow thru QUICKLY on submitting the paperwork in time for the Nov election. Time's running out in Florida to register.. Don't KNOW the date -- but even if they miss this election, that adds a city size chunk of Dem voters to the rolls. And when the felon ASKS where the money comes from -- Bloomberg craftily added a funding arm with prime sports/entertainment figures covering his money.. A bit like laundering the "quo"...

But it would only take ONE of these beneficiaries to rat them out and MAKE it completely illegal if they were TOLD that prominent Democrats were SOLELY behind the efforts "to help them vote"... But the rest of us KNOW -- this is already obvious. Sorry you dont get it..

does not seem illegal to me------take a felon to lunch kinda thing
You can take a felon to lunch-----but if you take him to lunch so he will vote for your candidate and especially if you are dumb enough to admit it---then you get to go to prison. Bloomberg has been in NY to long---he thinks he is above the law and can buy votes----Florida isn't New York

And you and everyone else should know deep down inside that buying votes is illegal and immoral.

I don't think anyone is under any illusions that Bloomberg is particularly moral, but you guys have a ways to go to prove he is "buying" votes. So far - your arguements could apply to anyone who donates to this group and hopes they will vote a certain way afterwards.

Who needs to prove it, he wrote about it.

Can you show me where he wrote that he is donating this money with the contingency that the recipients must vote for Biden? If he did that, then yes, he royally screwed himself.
And why are we going down this rabbit hole....................contingency or not makes no different...he admitted that he was donating the money in order to buy votes from felons who expected to net him around 30000 votes in florida basically....this is a FELONY in Florida. And btw under rico conspiracy charges when one is guilty all are--------so now we got Bloomberg and all of those other racist dem thugs like LeBron James...the only thing that may save them is that I dont think they actually gave out any of the money yet-----------
Anyone can pay fines and fees for anyone.

Nothing illegal. Quite noble of Mayor Mike, in fact.
Not when you are doing it to buy votes---then it becomes a felony.

You can DONATE money - but regardless of what he says, it isn't a felony unless it can be shown that there was a quid pro quo attached to the money. And, an investigation might well turn that up but as of now I don't see strings attached saying you get the money only if you vote for xyz.

There doesn't have to be a quid pro quo. The intent of giving the money was to influence the person TO vote regardless of how they do. That's the way the law is written.

Forum List

Back