Blackberry cobbler

Here's why they're not blueberries.

That's a medium-sized blueberry on the left, ripe huckleberry on the right.

relative size.jpg

Note that these two berries no longer exist.

They were eaten in a spoonful of rice pudding. :rock:

Last edited:
View attachment 211916 And here's where I got these:

That's prolly about 5800-6000 feet elevation.
I am identifying them more by the leaves. Berries can vary greatly in size.

What part of the world is that? It's not PNW I dont think...

Appalachia. A hike I take off the Blue Ridge Parkway. If it hadn't been so cloudy you could see the road way down under. There was nothing to see but water vapor so I didn't take that shot.

Appalachia. A hike I take off the Blue Ridge Parkway. If it hadn't been so cloudy you could see the road way down under. There was nothing to see but water vapor so I didn't take that shot.
I think those berries are blueberries...at least that's what we call them over here. The leaves aren't right for the huckleberries I'm familiar with.

I think those berries are blueberries...at least that's what we call them over here. The leaves aren't right for the huckleberries I'm familiar with.

The foliage does indeed look a lot like blueberries (some varieties anyway). And when I first came upon them that's what I thought I was looking at. But as you can see standard blueberries are way bigger, and although there's no way to post this on the internet, huckleberries are way tastier.

I've got blueberries in my yard. Completely different fruit.

The foliage does indeed look a lot like blueberries (some varieties anyway). And when I first came upon them that's what I thought I was looking at. But as you can see standard blueberries are way bigger, and although there's no way to post this on the internet, huckleberries are way tastier.

I've got blueberries in my yard. Completely different fruit.
And I've got huckleberries.

Is in the oven.
I'm trying to eschew sugar and flour. It sucks that I'm a good cook and there are berries in the back yard :(
4e6167cc-9504-4735-8cd6-48c87cfba61b.jpg

Blackberry Cobbler

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......so delicious!!!!!!!! I can almost taste it from here!!!!!! :thup::thup::thup:
Don't use that recipe. It was edible, but the cake isn't sweet, and there isn't that much of it.

It does looks so yummy, though! :04:

It's good, but it's different than what I think of when I think of cobbler. I like the cake to be very sweet. And that doesn't even have sugar in it..it's rich in butter...but no sugar.

I've never had huckleberries, but I remember bringing back to Connecticut wild blueberries from a visit to Maine, and my neighbor INSISTED that what I had brought back were huckleberries.

You can tell the huckleberries from the wild blueberries by the size of the plant, I guess, and most definitely by the leaves. The berries do LOOK almost identical. I don't know if there is a big difference in flavor. Have any of you tried them? They come frozen now. I do NOT mean those big bloated cultivated blueberries the size of a marble. I mean wild blueberries.
I hear they also grow in one small area on the northwestern coast, too. Can't remember where.

I've never had huckleberries, but I remember bringing back to Connecticut wild blueberries from a visit to Maine, and my neighbor INSISTED that what I had brought back were huckleberries.

You can tell the huckleberries from the wild blueberries by the size of the plant, I guess, and most definitely by the leaves. The berries do LOOK almost identical. I don't know if there is a big difference in flavor. Have any of you tried them? They come frozen now. I do NOT mean those big bloated cultivated blueberries the size of a marble. I mean wild blueberries.
I hear they also grow in one small area on the northwestern coast, too. Can't remember where.

What Koshergrl pictured look like huckles to me. They're very definitely much tastier than bloobs. The foliage often looks virtually identical although size is hard to compare, as there are both expansive and low-growing varieties of each; I remember picking the low bloobs in Maine and in my spot up here I've got both low-growing and high-growing huckles side by side. On the other hand I have a bloob in the back yard about eight feet high, so I don't think size of the plant is an indicator.

You can plant blueberries where you want of course but AFAIK you can't intentionally plant/transplant huckles. Nature has to do it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back