Black Holes Are About to Collide in Deep Space.

They combine into a bigger black hole. It’s happened a billions of times before, and will happen billions of times more.
Right, and now we get to watch it happen. Will one of them be thrown clear? Do you know? No? Then shut up and watch.

Actually, it has already happened, like a billion years ago. Back when man was nothing but a multi-cellular creature just beginning the first specialized cells before even the first animals appeared.

These black holes are actually quasars, or more accurately, AGN (active galactic nuclei), The Sloan Digital Sky Survey doesn't seem particularly friendly towards casual searches by the public, but being that SDSS J084905.51+111447.2 is actually the RA and DEC coordinates for where they are, and being that none of these articles on the event are even cogent enough to mention the constellation this is in, I tracked it down the hard, old school way.

If anyone wants to try to observe the merger of these black holes, I believe they are these three galaxies HERE:

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.06.10 AM.png

They should be visible in a good 18-25" backyard telescope in a dark location. Where are these galaxies? They are not far from NGC2678, a very minor star cluster HERE (with galaxies again narrowed in red):

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.06.56 AM.png

And just where is THAT you ask? It is actually in the foot of the constellation Cancer the Crab, not far from the very doable object M67 which can be found in a small telescope,

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 2.11.01 AM.jpg

And you can see that part of the sky rising this late winter, early Spring.

From the op....

In Einstein’s prediction, he imagined colliding black holes would be spinning at a significant fraction of the speed of light. After spiraling toward each other, they either merge or, due to powerful gravitational waves, one gets “slingshot” away from the other into intergalactic space at speeds approaching 685,000 mph (1.1 million km/h).
I thought the speed of light was as fast as you could go. Well, good night, past my bedtime.
But that speed is much slower than the speed of light in a vacuum, roughly 186,000 miles per second.

Scientists say they’re not quite sure what will happen.

three-supermassive-black-holes-collide-740x410.png

(TMU) — Black holes are thought to be the most powerful and mysterious objects in the universe, formed from the remnants of collapsed stars. Scientists believe that most galaxies host a supermassive black hole at their center and that when galaxies merge, two different black holes collide, unleashing incomprehensible energy.

This week scientists announced that for the very first time they will observe a collision between three supermassive black holes in deep space—and they’re not quite sure what will happen.

Three Supermassive Black Holes Are About to Collide
Thanks for sharing an awesome picture. every little powder-sized dot represents an orb the size of our sun or larger, depending on its distance in light years from here. Space is a huge mystery to me.

A billion light years! Can't get my head around that.
So the event actually happened a billion years ago.........cool!

We look at the past.

Well it does sound interesting but I wonder if man can even understand this phenomenon so I guess the best is to actually observe it and much less agree to what is happening

Still its great to be just able to observe it and that is good enough for me
Some people have an easier time imagining the universe than others.
I mean-- we have a Vice President who believes the earth is 6000 years old and that Revelations is coming, for example--just saying.

It's better then the AGW cult who thinks the earth is only around 120 years old when official temperature records started in a few places in the northern hemisphere.

(TMU) — Black holes are thought to be the most powerful and mysterious objects in the universe, formed from the remnants of collapsed stars. Scientists believe that most galaxies host a supermassive black hole at their center and that when galaxies merge, two different black holes collide, unleashing incomprehensible energy.

This week scientists announced that for the very first time they will observe a collision between three supermassive black holes in deep space—and they’re not quite sure what will happen.

BS. What they are claiming they see happened millions of years ago. Dinosaur scientists made similar predictions about comets and stuff.

BS. What they are claiming they see happened millions of years ago. Dinosaur scientists made similar predictions about comets and stuff.
Yes professor, scientists are aware of the speed of light.

Well it does sound interesting but I wonder if man can even understand this phenomenon so I guess the best is to actually observe it and much less agree to what is happening

I mean-- we have a Vice President who believes the earth is 6000 years old and that Revelations is coming, for example--just saying.

It's better then the AGW cult who thinks the earth is only around 120 years old when official temperature records started in a few places in the northern hemisphere.

AGW: a topic you know even less about than black holes...

No it isn't, dumbass.

Well....there is one thing that is very predictable....it's gonna be one goddamned big Kaboomski....
Even a tiny black hole..... 10 miles in diameter....is hundreds of times heavier than the Sun.
The energy potential is beyond calculation.

JO

Yes professor, scientists are aware of the speed of light.
I know, that's why they said "about to collide", huh, liar?

Well....there is one thing that is very predictable....it's gonna be one goddamned big Kaboomski....
Even a tiny black hole..... 10 miles in diameter....is hundreds of times heavier than the Sun.
The energy potential is beyond calculation.

JO

That far away?

Thanks for sharing an awesome picture. every little powder-sized dot represents an orb the size of our sun or larger, depending on its distance in light years from here. Space is a huge mystery to me.

You got problems? I can't get my head around one light year, much less a billion. :dunno:

Trying to grasp the idea of endless space always makes my mind hit a wall.
To think that it's never ending is a trip!!!
You gotta know that somewhere out there are more intelligent beings.

Yes; was expecting you.
I am a sucker for copy and pasted threads with zero OP commentary.

I did make a comment; about the light years. And was going to get onto more, as the thread flowed. Till you barged in with one of your priceless remarks.

You trouble maker.

Yes; was expecting you.

I did make a comment; about the light years. And was going to get onto more, as the thread flowed. Till you barged in with one of your priceless remarks.

You trouble maker.
Whenever I can ;)

You got problems? I can't get my head around one light year, much less a billion. :dunno:

Trying to grasp the idea of endless space always makes my mind hit a wall.
To think that it's never ending is a trip!!!
You gotta know that somewhere out there are more intelligent beings.

Maybe too intelligent for our limited senses to grasp. Or even see.

Yes; was expecting you.

You trouble maker.
Whenever I can.

When are you going to do your yogi bear impressions?

Forum List

Back