Black Holes Are About to Collide in Deep Space.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Scientists say they’re not quite sure what will happen.

three-supermassive-black-holes-collide-740x410.png

(TMU) — Black holes are thought to be the most powerful and mysterious objects in the universe, formed from the remnants of collapsed stars. Scientists believe that most galaxies host a supermassive black hole at their center and that when galaxies merge, two different black holes collide, unleashing incomprehensible energy.

This week scientists announced that for the very first time they will observe a collision between three supermassive black holes in deep space—and they’re not quite sure what will happen.

Three Supermassive Black Holes Are About to Collide

• Banned
^This rare black hole triumvirate was discovered with the help of nearly half a dozen teams and tools, including the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) telescope, the citizen-science project Galaxy Zoo, NASA’s Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE), NASA’S Chandra X-ray Observatory (CXO), Large Binocular Telescope (LBT), and NASA’s Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuSTAR), whose handlers joined forces to discover an unusual system of three galaxies merging a billion light-years from Earth.

(TMU) — Black holes are thought to be the most powerful and mysterious objects in the universe, formed from the remnants of collapsed stars. Scientists believe that most galaxies host a supermassive black hole at their center and that when galaxies merge, two different black holes collide, unleashing incomprehensible energy.

This week scientists announced that for the very first time they will observe a collision between three supermassive black holes in deep space—and they’re not quite sure what will happen.

Thanks for sharing an awesome picture. every little powder-sized dot represents an orb the size of our sun or larger, depending on its distance in light years from here. Space is a huge mystery to me.

• Banned

Thanks for sharing an awesome picture. every little powder-sized dot represents an orb the size of our sun or larger, depending on its distance in light years from here. Space is a huge mystery to me.

A billion light years! Can't get my head around that.

You got problems? I can't get my head around one light year, much less a billion. :dunno:

as a child----I used to "run away from home" <<<< that means I took a long
walk. I wanted to find something NEW-----like the Alice in Wonderland ---rabbit
hole. -------I wanted to GET LOST-----it never worked----eventually I had to go home---------a BLADDER ISSUE. I would really like to---NOW---jump into a
BLACK HOLE

They combine into a bigger black hole. It’s happened a billions of times before, and will happen billions of times more.

They combine into a bigger black hole. It’s happened a billions of times before, and will happen billions of times more.
Right, and now we get to watch it happen. Will one of them be thrown clear? Do you know? No? Then shut up and watch.

From the op....

In Einstein’s prediction, he imagined colliding black holes would be spinning at a significant fraction of the speed of light. After spiraling toward each other, they either merge or, due to powerful gravitational waves, one gets “slingshot” away from the other into intergalactic space at speeds approaching 685,000 mph (1.1 million km/h).

Well it does sound interesting but I wonder if man can even understand this phenomenon so I guess the best is to actually observe it and much less agree to what is happening

Still its great to be just able to observe it and that is good enough for me

You got problems? I can't get my head around one light year, much less a billion. :dunno:
I can get my hand around a beer bottle, but my head just isn't shaped such that it will go around anything.

Three black hoes colliding, wow! What will there pimps do? Oh...wait...it’s black holes....that’s different. Never mind.

We seen it already

468858.jpg

So the event actually happened a billion years ago.........cool!

Last edited:
Well it does sound interesting but I wonder if man can even understand this phenomenon so I guess the best is to actually observe it and much less agree to what is happening

Still its great to be just able to observe it and that is good enough for me
Some people have an easier time imagining the universe than others.
I mean-- we have a Vice President who believes the earth is 6000 years old and that Revelations is coming, for example--just saying.

From the op....

In Einstein’s prediction, he imagined colliding black holes would be spinning at a significant fraction of the speed of light. After spiraling toward each other, they either merge or, due to powerful gravitational waves, one gets “slingshot” away from the other into intergalactic space at speeds approaching 685,000 mph (1.1 million km/h).
I thought the speed of light was as fast as you could go. Well, good night, past my bedtime.

Forum List

Back