Zone1 Black family receives LA County reparations for stolen property 98 years later

You’re welcome.

And I have no reluctance to voice support for reparations in obvious specific examples such as the one you reported.

For instance, were you aware that Grant issued an edict that all Jews had 24 hours to leave their houses in three southern states - TN, MS, and KY - but Lincoln stepped in and blocked it? (The irony was this was in the eve of The Emancipation Proclamation, so that in one instance Grant recognized the wrong in treating one race or ethnicity as inferior, and in the other perpetrated it against Jews.) IF this had been allowed to proceed, and Christians moved into the abandoned Jewish houses, and eventually their descendants tore down the old houses and sold the land to developers, then I’d say the Jewish descendants would be entitled to reparations for that.)

Anyway, I’m in support of compensating descendants for land taken from their ancestors specifically to drive them out, and for racial or religious reasons.
No, I was not aware of this. And this action against the Jewish people is just as wrong as it would have been had it been committed against black or any other racial or religious minority.

Having said that though, the reasons you and I don't see eye to eye is because if you or anyone else don't tell people you're Jewish, there is no way for anyone to readily identify you as such in order to discriminate against you or target you with their hatred. For us as black people, we cannot hide who we are. And if you've ever had the misfortune of being confronted by the outright hatred and hostility of a crazy person who hates you because of your Jewish heritage, then try if you can to imagine how it feels for us as black people, the lawfully designated second class citizens who were deemd by the U.S. Supreme Court to have "no rights which a white man need respect".

The yellow star of David which all Jewish people were required to wear in order so that they could be identified as Jewish, also allowed everyone to target them for all manners of abuse, including physical attack, having your personal property lawfully taken from you, and the ultimate horror and indignity of being marched to the concentration camps and being gassed to death. Our black skin is the same as the yellow of David of David (sans the gas chamber of course) yet there was no rescue and new welcoming home for us. We had to stay, stand our ground and fight.

I just have never understood why it is so difficult for you to believe and accept the things that we tell you when we state that racism against black people is still a problem in the United States today. It took almost 100 years to correct the wrong committed against the Bruce family and as the judges and representatives from L.A. County along with Governor Newsome stated, there was no remedy under law to address the wrong done to this family, until these individuals took it upon themselves to legislatively create a remedy.

Last edited:
Whether it was colonial government or the current republic we have now, the government has provided whites with more than it has ever given to anyone else. This was not because people of color did not take the opportunity because most of these things EXCLUDED non white participation. The handouts/privilege started with this:

In 1618, the Virginia colony passed "the Great Charter of privileges, orders, and laws." Among these laws was a provision that any person who settled in Virginia or paid for the transportation of another person to settle in Virginia would get fifty acres of land per person. “The right to receive fifty acres per person, or per head, was called a headright.” It got even better for colonists as those who “imported” slaves also got fifty acres per slave. The practice was continued by the government of Virginia, for 161 years, ending in 1779. Headrights were not only limited to Virginia. The headright system was used in all the original thirteen colonies. Headrights were the first of many government handouts of free stuff or guarantees providing whites with economic development assistance.

It continued with this:

The Three-Fifths Compromise is found in Article 1, Section 2, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution. It says: “Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three-fifths of all other Persons.”

And with this:

The Naturalization Act of 1790 states: “any alien, being a free white person,” could apply for citizenship, so long as they lived in the United States for at least two years and in the state where the application was filed for at least one year. This law allowed “children of citizens of the United States that may be born … out of the limits of the United States shall be considered as natural-born citizens.” Please notice the first seven words. Only whites were entitled to be citizens of this country.

And with this:

One of the greatest miscarriages of justice in this nation’s history was a direct rebuttal to the claim that all men are created equal called Dred Scott v. Sandford. I am not going into all the particulars of this case. The court’s opinion says all you need to know. “A black man has no rights a white man is bound to respect.” The result of Dred Scott v. Sandford was that whites were given rights and status blacks were denied.Or- Affirmative Action.

And with this:

Passed in 1862, the Homestead Acts gave away 246 million acres of land. To qualify for Homestead land, a person had to be a citizen of the United States, and blacks were not given citizenship until 1866.

And this:

On April 16, 1895, the United States Supreme Court rendered another one of the sorriest decisions in American history. It is known as Plessy vs. Ferguson. From this decision came the principle of separate but equal.

And this:

The National Housing Act was passed by Congress and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1934.29 This law created the Federal Housing Administration or the FHA. The National Housing Act is the policy that may have had the most impact on wealth accumulation in modern America.

Between 1934 and 1968, the FHA implemented and put into practice a policy that still negatively impacts communities today.30 The FHA Underwriting Manual set the guidelines real estate agents used to assess home values in American neighborhoods. This manual promoted racist real estate practices. It was done by defending racially restrictive covenants and segregated communities. Due to this manual, the FHA established a neighborhood grading system based purely on false racist perceptions.

Redlining was the name of that grading system. My point here is the FHA was a government agency whose policies specifically provided whites with opportunities to increase wealth through homeownership. The formation of the FHA and its guaranteed loan program only worked to increase white advantage.
“Of the $120 billion worth of new housing subsidized by the government between 1934 and 1962, less than 2 percent went to nonwhite families.”

And this:

The Social Security Act of 1935 created the Social Security program, state unemployment insurance, and assistance to single women with children.Today, most Americans love the program. However, when the act was signed, the law excluded occupations mainly done by blacks. When President Roosevelt signed the law, approximately two-thirds of the blacks in America were ineligible. For years, most blacks were excluded from social security savings and could not get unemployment.

And this:

Title 4 or IV of the social security act of 1935 provided grants to states as Aid To Dependent Children. Eventually the name of the program was changed to Aid to Families with Dependent Children. This was welfare, folks. Assistance for single moms with children and no daddy at home. In 1935. Blacks were excluded.

And this:

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 created the minimum wage and time and a half overtime pay for working over forty hours a week. Child labor was eliminated by this act. All these were good things, but… In every law that was passed as part of The New Deal, Roosevelt had to compromise with southern representatives to get the votes he needed. In the case of the FLSA, due to pressure from southern congress members, he decided that industries would be excluded from the regulations where the majority of workers were black. Because of this, blacks were paid less than the minimum wage.

And this:

On June 22, 1944, President Roosevelt signed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, better known as the G.I. Bill.38 This law provided benefits for veterans returning from World War Two. This act included funds for college tuition, low-cost home loans, and unemployment insurance. As in every other program during this time, southern members of Congress fought the passage of these laws unless there were provisions that limited access to blacks.

Over one million returning black soldiers were unable to get GI benefits. My father was one of those soldiers.

You got your reparations. And there is more white crime.
An upvote wasn't enough. This is outstanding IM2, thank you so very much, I've learned so much from you!

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
No, I was not aware of this. And this action against the Jewish people is just as wrong as it would have been had it been committed against black or any other racial or religious minority.

Having said that though, the reasons you and I don't see eye to eye is because if you or anyone else don't tell people you're Jewish, there is no way for anyone to readily identify you as such in order to discriminate against you or target you with their hatred. For us as black people, we cannot hide who we are. And if you've ever had the misfortune of being confronted by the outright hatred and hostility of a crazy person who hates you because of your Jewish heritage, then try if you can to imagine how it feels for us as black people, the lawfully designated second class citizens who were deemd by the U.S. Supreme Court to have "no rights which a white man need respect".

The yellow star of David which all Jewish people were required to wear in order so that they could be identified as Jewish, also allowed everyone to target them for all manners of abuse, including physical attack, having your personal property lawfully taken from you, and the ultimate horror and indignity of being marched to the concentration camps and being gassed to death. Our black skin is the same as the yellow of David of David (sans the gas chamber of course) yet there was no rescue and new welcoming home for us. We had to stay, stand our ground and fight.

I just have never understood why it is so difficult for you to believe and accept the things that we tell you when we state that racism against black people is still a problem in the United States today. It took almost 100 years to correct the wrong committed against the Bruce family and as the judges and representatives from L.A. County along with Governor Newsome stated, there was no remedy under law to address the wrong done to this family, until these individuals took it upon themselves to legislatively create a remedy.
No, that is not why we do not see eye to eye.

1) You insist on blaming every problem in the black community on racism and refusing to acknowledge that blacks are responsible for their own actions and outcomes - good or bad.

2) In the DC suburbs, where I live, there are many, MANY successful and educated blacks - dentists, lawyers, doctors, MBAs, top government officials, you name it. Many have bought homes my family can’t afford, and shop is designer stores I can only look at. I‘ve asked you repeatedly, and you always ignore it: if racism is the sole reason why blacks who are in poverty remain so, why are there so many middle class, upper-middle class, and wealthy blacks?

3) You insist that any white who refuses to hold blacks blameless a racist. Sorry, but I don’t care how poor you are - there is no excuse to loot stores, as an example. (My parents never did that, nor did any of their friends.) By perpetuating the idea that it is WHITES‘ FAULT that blacks loot stores (usually during a blackout, but it’s become more brazen lately), you are justifying it and condoning it.

4) Finally, you also call a white person “racist” if she wants to abolish race-based admissions policies that unfairly hurt whites and Asians and favor blacks. To the contrary, such a person is opposed to racism, and favoritism to skin tone; and the person pushing to continue to adjust standards based on skin color is the one who is accepting of racism.

All that said, in instances where it can be documented that a black family had its property stolen by the government for reasons of race, I am in full support of compensation to its descendants.

No, that is not why we do not see eye to eye.

1) You insist on blaming every problem in the black community on racism and refusing to acknowledge that blacks are responsible for their own actions and outcomes - good or bad.

2) In the DC suburbs, where I live, there are many, MANY successful and educated blacks - dentists, lawyers, doctors, MBAs, top government officials, you name it. Many have bought homes my family can’t afford, and shop is designer stores I can only look at. I‘ve asked you repeatedly, and you always ignore it: if racism is the sole reason why blacks who are in poverty remain so, why are there so many middle class, upper-middle class, and wealthy blacks?

3) You insist that any white who refuses to hold blacks blameless a racist. Sorry, but I don’t care how poor you are - there is no excuse to loot stores, as an example. (My parents never did that, nor did any of their friends.) By perpetuating the idea that it is WHITES‘ FAULT that blacks loot stores (usually during a blackout, but it’s become more brazen lately), you are justifying it and condoning it.

4) Finally, you also call a white person “racist” if she wants to abolish race-based admissions policies that unfairly hurt whites and Asians and favor blacks. To the contrary, such a person is opposed to racism, and favoritism to skin tone; and the person pushing to continue to adjust standards based on skin color is the one who is accepting of racism.

All that said, in instances where it can be documented that a black family had its property stolen by the government for reasons of race, I am in full support of compensation to its descendants.
Lisa does anyone in the year 2022 claim that prejudice and discrimination again the Jewish people doesn't exist?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Lisa does anyone in the year 2022 claim that prejudice and discrimination again the Jewish people doesn't exist?
The difference is that Jews living in poverty, or committing crimes, or whatever lack of success they might have, are not blaming it on antisemitism, whereas you are blaming failures within the black community on racism.

No, but Lisa shows that white Jews will discriminate against blacks.
It's quite possible that her angst stems from her statement

...In the DC suburbs, where I live, there are many, MANY successful and educated blacks - dentists, lawyers, doctors, MBAs, top government officials, you name it. Many have bought homes my family can’t afford, and shop is designer stores I can only look at...[snipped]​
Lisa, do you consider me a "successful" or "educated" black person?

The difference is that Jews living in poverty, or committing crimes, or whatever lack of success they might have, are not blaming it on antisemitism, whereas you are blaming failures within the black community on racism.
That's not the question I asked. The question was "does anyone deny that prejudice and discrimination against the Jewish people exist, currently, in the year 2022?"

...In the DC suburbs, where I live, there are many, MANY successful and educated blacks - dentists, lawyers, doctors, MBAs, top government officials, you name it. Many have bought homes my family can’t afford, and shop is designer stores I can only look at...[snipped]​
I don’t know you, but you sound educated, and I am guessing you are successful. Do you consider me a successful or educated Jewish person?

Why would that cause me angst? The point was that there are plenty of blacks in my area more affluent than I. Not every black is some poor, oppressed victim, as you would like whites to believe.

And that leads me to the question I have asked 17 times, which you always ignore: if blacks are poor (of the ones who are) are poor because of racism, then how did these blacks become so successful? How come racism only applies to some blacks, and not others?

Finally! Several California judges ruled to right what they called a government wrong used to steal land away from this couple based on racial discrimination and animosity. The details are in the article below.

I may eventually request that this thread be moved to current events, national precedent indeed!

Black family receives LA County reparations for stolen property 98 years later
Great so now the land owned by other private people who had nothing to do with what happened 100 years ago, will get the property stolen from them.
And that makes sense?

Great so now the land owned by other private people who had nothing to do with what happened 100 years ago, will get the property stolen from them.
And that makes sense?
If I remember the story correctly from a year or so ago, the land is now a public park.

I don’t know you, but you sound educated, and I am guessing you are successful. Do you consider me a successful or educated Jewish person?
By your own standards, sure.

On the other hand, I don't know enough about you to say definitively but based on the things you've indicated about your family I would surmise you're both college educated and at least middle to upper middle class.

I have no idea your profession though, but what I suspect is that the reason we clash is because you often draw conclusions based on your opinion of things, while I base mine on verifiable facts. The work I do requires analyzing things, including people, and sometimes providing written reports based on my findings. And although I am allowed, due to my profession, to offer a professional opinion of my finding, I only do so when that opinion can be validated against the facts I've presented in my report(s).

In your post above you erroneously stated that I believe racism is the cause for every ill that black Americans face, yet I've never made any such claim, that is simply once again, your erroneous interpretation of the things I have stated, whether due to emotion, lack of knowledge of the subject matter or just stubborn adherence to something you have believed your entire life that you have no intention of viewing any differently.

And that makes sense?
The land was stolen under a pre-texted eminent domain seizure, so no it was not stolen by a private party, it was stolen by the government (the County of Los Angeles) which is why reparations are proper.

So how is returning something that was stolen not the right thing to do? That doesn't make sense under any set of circumstances but it certainly demonstrates all of the resistance to any type of reparations to black people.

It's not like they're stealing from some poor white person who thought that the land was legitimately their own. That is what you're insinuating, correct?

Why would that cause me angst? The point was that there are plenty of blacks in my area more affluent than I. Not every black is some poor, oppressed victim, as you would like whites to believe.

And that leads me to the question I have asked 17 times, which you always ignore: if blacks are poor (of the ones who are) are poor because of racism, then how did these blacks become so successful? How come racism only applies to some blacks, and not others?
Lisa, not considering the idiots that every group has, is anyone telling Jewish people that there is no hatred, discrimination and prejudice against them in the year 2022? When you answer this question which is a simple yes or no then I'll be happy to discuss your perception that black people or just me think that racism only affects SOME black people but not others.

Forum List

Back