black couple sues appraisal company for low appraisal on home

horselightning

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2013

this is in maryland. is it me or are blacks going around suing for everything and anything?

Yes, they are.

And homes are frequently valued differently by different appraisers.

The court damn well better toss such a stupid lawsuit out.

this is in maryland. is it me or are blacks going around suing for everything and anything?

Sounds like they have a pretty good case.

Do you actually read the articles before you present them? I will show you the key passage.

Connolly and Mott later re-applied with another lender, and “whitewashed” their home, according to the lawsuit. This included removing photos of their Black family from the home, and having a White colleague present the property to the appraiser. The suit claims this valuation came back at $750,000, more than a quarter of a million dollars higher than 20/20 Valuations’ appraisal of $472,000.

There is absolutely no evidence that race had anything to do the differing appraisals. Different appraisers will always have different opinions.

Not really. Frankly, I've bought three homes in my life and sold one, and really, never had an appraiser come back with a valuation that was radically different from the asking price.

There is absolutely no evidence that race had anything to do the differing appraisals. Different appraisers will always have different opinions.

And it isn't like they are wildly different. Not like one will say it's worth 100k and another say it's worth 247k.

But blacks don't care. They don't get what they want and they scream racism.

Unless they want to sell the house I'd want my home value to be as low as possible. If my house was valued at 49 dollars I'd be happy because my taxes would be lower.

And it isn't like they are wildly different. Not like one will say it's worth 100k and another say it's worth 247k.

Unless they want to sell the house I'd want my home value to be as low as possible. If my house was valued at 49 dollars I'd be happy because my taxes would be lower.

Did any of you fucking read the article.

The same building was valued at $750K when it was presented as owned by white people and only $472K when presented as being owned by black people.

The SAME FUCKING BUILDING.

More from the same article.

Tenisha Tate-Austin and her husband became suspicious when the Northern California home they spent years renovating was valued by an appraiser far lower than they expected. When they asked for a second opinion, a White friend pretended to own their home and they removed all artwork and photos that could show that it belonged to a Black family. The new appraisal for their home in Marin County was more than $1.4 million and nearly half a million dollars higher than the previous estimate, they told CNN at the time. Earlier this year, the Department of Justice filed a statement of interest in the case, which is still pending.

And in Indiana last year, when Carlette Duffy concealed that she was Black, she told CNN her home’s appraised value more than doubled.

You didn't read the article did you, moron?

Given that it's in Murdermore I'm surprised it was that high.

Homeland is a neighborhood in the northern part of Baltimore, Maryland, United States. It is bounded roughly by Melrose Avenue on the north, Bellona Avenue on the east, Homeland Avenue on the south, and Charles Street on the west.

Sounds like a refinance scam to me.

Given that it's in Murdermore I'm surprised it was that high.

Homeland is a neighborhood in the northern part of Baltimore, Maryland, United States. It is bounded roughly by Melrose Avenue on the north, Bellona Avenue on the east, Homeland Avenue on the south, and Charles Street on the west.

Sounds like a refinance scam to me.

It seems the scam is on the part of the refinancing companies. That they appraised the building at a much lower price when it was presented by a black family than a white family.

So you take out all your black family photos and have a white friend let the appraiser in, and SUDDENLY, your building is worth $300,000 more?

You know, you racist twats all scream every day that black people should be more like white people, and here you have a couple of professionals, good educations, good jobs, married couple, and they STILL get their house appraised for less?

How can anyone read that and think the issue is the couple that is suing? The appraiser compared the house to a black majority area cuz the owner was black vs the white area they lived in.

My aunt recently sold her house for $465,000. The original price was $471,200.

God bless you and my aunt always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, at the end of the day, how much a home is appraised for may not mean a thing. What people are willing to pay may be what makes all of the difference, especially if the property is on the market long enough. I remember the Reba TV show episode when Van and Cheyanne buy their first home and because of how desperate the previous owner becomes where getting the house off of her plate was concerned, Van and Cheyanne ended up getting a really good deal on the place.

That is BS they sued the lender thought. After the meltdown, the government enacted appraisal independence laws that doesn’t allow the lender to put any pressure on the appraiser to change the value!

Could be racial "bais" effecting the appraiser, could be random change from different appraisers having different opinions.

Did any of you fucking read the article.

The same building was valued at $750K when it was presented as owned by white people and only $472K when presented as being owned by black people.

The SAME FUCKING BUILDING.

More from the same article.

Tenisha Tate-Austin and her husband became suspicious when the Northern California home they spent years renovating was valued by an appraiser far lower than they expected. When they asked for a second opinion, a White friend pretended to own their home and they removed all artwork and photos that could show that it belonged to a Black family. The new appraisal for their home in Marin County was more than $1.4 million and nearly half a million dollars higher than the previous estimate, they told CNN at the time. Earlier this year, the Department of Justice filed a statement of interest in the case, which is still pending.

And in Indiana last year, when Carlette Duffy concealed that she was Black, she told CNN her home’s appraised value more than doubled.
If they finally got a fair appraisal why sue?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back