Black conservative tea party backers take heat

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
wow, if you are Black and are conservative and especially if you want to associate with the Tea Party, this is what they think of you. how bout that.

Snip:
By VALERIE BAUMAN
Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- They've been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values. Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement - and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation's first black president.

"I've been told I hate myself. I've been called an Uncle Tom. I've been told I'm a spook at the door," said Timothy F. Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a group of black conservatives who support free market principles and limited government.

"Black Republicans find themselves always having to prove who they are. Because the assumption is the Republican Party is for whites and the Democratic Party is for blacks," he said.

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The fact that they're black - or that most tea partyers are white - should have nothing to do with it, they say.

"You have to be honest and true to yourself. What am I supposed to do, vote Democratic just to be popular? Just to fit in?" asked Clifton Bazar, a 45-year-old New Jersey freelance photographer and conservative blogger.

Opponents have branded the tea party as a group of racists hiding behind economic concerns - and reports that some tea partyers were lobbing racist slurs at black congressmen during last month's heated health care vote give them ammunition.

But these black conservatives don't consider racism representative of the movement as a whole - or race a reason to support it.

all the article.
News from The Associated Press

wow, if you are Black and are conservative and especially if you want to associate with the Tea Party, this is what they think of you. how bout that.

Snip:
By VALERIE BAUMAN
Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- They've been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values. Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement - and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation's first black president.

"I've been told I hate myself. I've been called an Uncle Tom. I've been told I'm a spook at the door," said Timothy F. Johnson, chairman of the Frederick Douglass Foundation, a group of black conservatives who support free market principles and limited government.

"Black Republicans find themselves always having to prove who they are. Because the assumption is the Republican Party is for whites and the Democratic Party is for blacks," he said.

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The fact that they're black - or that most tea partyers are white - should have nothing to do with it, they say.

"You have to be honest and true to yourself. What am I supposed to do, vote Democratic just to be popular? Just to fit in?" asked Clifton Bazar, a 45-year-old New Jersey freelance photographer and conservative blogger.

Opponents have branded the tea party as a group of racists hiding behind economic concerns - and reports that some tea partyers were lobbing racist slurs at black congressmen during last month's heated health care vote give them ammunition.

But these black conservatives don't consider racism representative of the movement as a whole - or race a reason to support it.

all the article.
News from The Associated Press

Yup. only whites, i.e. Republicans are racist.

They've been called Oreos, traitors and Uncle Toms, and are used to having to defend their values. Now black conservatives are really taking heat for their involvement in the mostly white tea party movement - and for having the audacity to oppose the policies of the nation's first black president.

They'll make fine conservatives. They've got the victimology part down pat already.

btw, according to Gallup, the tea partiers are 79% non-hispanic white and 6% black.

They'll make fine conservatives. They've got the victimology part down pat already.

btw, according to Gallup, the tea partiers are 79% non-hispanic white and 6% black.

and? white people don't get to have a say in this country anymore?

I wonder if you all put down or pointed out the racial makeup of the million man march that was MOSTLY all Black.

or the illegal immigration marches during the Bush administration and what their race makeup was?

somehow I doubt it.

Last edited:

The demographics of the Tea party track very closely to all of America. 75% of the country is non-hispanic white. The one major area of difference is black participation - hardly surprising the way conservative blacks have been vilified and made into examples to keep the rest on the Democrat Plantation.

Tea Partiers Are Fairly Mainstream in Their Demographics

Oh, so the Tea Party is going to have some black people working for them, helping them try to force the government out of any involvement in anything that might help the economically disadvantaged in this country,

a disproportionate number of whom happen to be black.

That is elegantly repugnant.

Oh, so the Tea Party is going to have some black people working for them, helping them try to force the government out of any involvement in anything that might help the economically disadvantaged in this country,

MORON, you are to stupid for words. You may want to go back and review just who voted for and passed the Civil Rights legislation. It was not the Democrats, they voted against it in droves.

MORON, you are to stupid for words. You may want to go back and review just who voted for and passed the Civil Rights legislation. It was not the Democrats, they voted against it in droves.

After civil rights legislation passed, conservatives bolted from the Democratic Party and swelled the rank of the Republican party becoming the Confederate Republican Party we know today. Since that legislation was passed, only three blacks have been elected to congress from the Republican party while more than 90 from the Democrats. What you are talking about is Conservative vs Liberal, NOT Democrat vs Republican.

It is repugnant that the KKK was created as the de facto terrorist wing of the Democrat Party; and there's nothing "elegant" about that.

A Short History of Reconstruction, (Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., 1990) by Dr. Eric Foner, the renown liberal historian who is the DeWitt Clinton Professor of History at Columbia University. As a further testament to his impeccable credentials, Professor Foner is only the second person to serve as president of the three major professional organizations: the Organization of American Historians, American Historical Association, and Society of American Historians.

Democrats in the last century did not hide their connections to the Ku Klux Klan. Georgia-born Democrat Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan wrote on page 21 of the September 1928 edition of the Klan’s “The Kourier Magazine”: “I have never voted for any man who was not a regular Democrat. My father … never voted for any man who was not a Democrat. My grandfather was …the head of the Ku Klux Klan in reconstruction days…. My great-grandfather was a life-long Democrat…. My great-great-grandfather was…one of the founders of the Democratic party.”

Dr. Foner in his book explores the history of the origins of Ku Klux Klan and provides a chilling account of the atrocities committed by Democrats against Republicans, black and white.

On page 146 of his book, Professor Foner wrote: “Founded in 1866 as a Tennessee social club, the Ku Klux Klan spread into nearly every Southern state, launching a ‘reign of terror‘ against Republican leaders black and white.” Page 184 of his book contains the definitive statements: “In effect, the Klan was a military force serving the interests of the Democratic party, the planter class, and all those who desired the restoration of white supremacy. It aimed to destroy the Republican party’s infrastructure, undermine the Reconstruction state, reestablish control of the black labor force, and restore racial subordination in every aspect of Southern life.”

It is repugnant that the KKK was created as the de facto terrorist wing of the Democrat Party; and there's nothing "elegant" about that.

A Short History of Reconstruction, (Harper & Row Publishers, Inc., 1990) by Dr. Eric Foner, the renown liberal historian who is the DeWitt Clinton Professor of History at Columbia University. As a further testament to his impeccable credentials, Professor Foner is only the second person to serve as president of the three major professional organizations: the Organization of American Historians, American Historical Association, and Society of American Historians.

Democrats in the last century did not hide their connections to the Ku Klux Klan. Georgia-born Democrat Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan wrote on page 21 of the September 1928 edition of the Klan’s “The Kourier Magazine”: “I have never voted for any man who was not a regular Democrat. My father … never voted for any man who was not a Democrat. My grandfather was …the head of the Ku Klux Klan in reconstruction days…. My great-grandfather was a life-long Democrat…. My great-great-grandfather was…one of the founders of the Democratic party.”

Dr. Foner in his book explores the history of the origins of Ku Klux Klan and provides a chilling account of the atrocities committed by Democrats against Republicans, black and white.

On page 146 of his book, Professor Foner wrote: “Founded in 1866 as a Tennessee social club, the Ku Klux Klan spread into nearly every Southern state, launching a ‘reign of terror‘ against Republican leaders black and white.” Page 184 of his book contains the definitive statements: “In effect, the Klan was a military force serving the interests of the Democratic party, the planter class, and all those who desired the restoration of white supremacy. It aimed to destroy the Republican party’s infrastructure, undermine the Reconstruction state, reestablish control of the black labor force, and restore racial subordination in every aspect of Southern life.”

Before Civil Rights legislation was passed, it was the Democratic Party that was the party of conservatives. The Republican Party was considered liberal. After that legislation passed, all the conservatives left the Democratic party and became the Republican party. Everyone knows that. It's history.

The KKK of today identifies with the Republican party, because that's where the conservatives are, now. They used to be with the Democratic party, but they moved to the Republican party.

What is utterly repugnant is people like you who aid in keeping blacks and other disadvantaged individuals trapped in government slavery instead of encouraging them to get out and make something of themselves.

After civil rights legislation passed, conservatives bolted from the Democratic Party and swelled the rank of the Republican party becoming the Confederate Republican Party we know today. Since that legislation was passed, only three blacks have been elected to congress from the Republican party while more than 90 from the Democrats. What you are talking about is Conservative vs Liberal, NOT Democrat vs Republican.

In the US House in the original house version only 20% (138-34) of the Republicans voted against the legislation while 39% (96 of 152) voted against it amongst the Democrats. Almost exactly 3 times as many Democrats as Republicans voted against it.

In the original US Senate version amongst the republicans 18% voted against it (27-6) and amongst the Dems 31% (46-21) voted against it. Three-and-a-half times as many Dems as Reps voted against it.

Who besides Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms "bolted" to the Republican Party? It does appear that those two were conservatives, and they left for a more conservative party; who were the others?

Last edited:

This would happen today? MLK's father was a republican....think he would be one now?

Get serious with your examples. Hoiw many new right wing hate groups popped up in the last two years?

seriously, just stop with that kkk dem crap. You and I both know that would not be the way it is now.

This would happen today? MLK's father was a republican....think he would be one now?

Get serious with your examples. Hoiw many new right wing hate groups popped up in the last two years?

seriously, just stop with that kkk dem crap. You and I both know that would not be the way it is now.
Correction: both MLK and his father were Republicans. Since the left controls the MSM why would anyone be surprised that "hate" groups pop up on the right? (unsurprisingly they never, never, pop up on the Left; cause by definition they can't be hate groups; fancy that !!)

EDIT: MLK's family is still Republican. It's because they are so much more historically aware than you, Zona, that they've made that sensible choice.

Last edited:

Thus your pov is that minorities are forced to buy into the brand you think helps them? How white of you.

Forum List

Back