Bjj is too complex

Unkotare
We had a very good instructor in this area that taught Shuai Jiao. But alas he was an asshole of a human being so never had any interest in learning from him.
That's too bad. I trained it a little bit when I lived in China. Not enough to really claim I've 'learned' it. The teacher was interested in comparing what I brought from wrestling in comparison.

Unkotare@Quasar44
Not much anymore, with work n arthritis in hips and knees it is a painful endeavor.
Glad you were able to get there, keep drilling brother.
I hear you.

That whole getting back up thing is taking a little longer, and hurts a bit more, every year.

But I keep seeing these folks who are my age, or maybe just a bit older, who are just physical wrecks...... frail, weak, really limited mobility, etc. And I can tell that at some point, they stopped moving and took up a position on a couch and that was it...... game over.

So yeah, it hurts and it takes a while to warm up but you gotta keep moving....... stillness is death.
The price you pay. I abused my joints and bones and organs something terrible in my intemperate youth. When I get out of bed these days it sounds like someone stepping on bubble wrap. Then there's the kidney stones, scar tissue on one eye, misshapen fingers, etc. However, I did for the most part avoid cauliflower ear somehow. In practice, I have to pop right up every time (can't let the kids see any weakness), but when I get home I gotta soak the machine for at least an hour.

Time is a bitch.
You coaching wrestling?

Many years ago I signed up for classes. I was not a fan. People's sweat, and balls on my face. The "mount" position. It was just an uncomfortable experience. I quit after a couple weeks. I liked Muay Thai much more, even though it was more painful.

Unkotare@Quasar44
Not much anymore, with work n arthritis in hips and knees it is a painful endeavor.
Glad you were able to get there, keep drilling brother.
I hear you.

That whole getting back up thing is taking a little longer, and hurts a bit more, every year.

But I keep seeing these folks who are my age, or maybe just a bit older, who are just physical wrecks...... frail, weak, really limited mobility, etc. And I can tell that at some point, they stopped moving and took up a position on a couch and that was it...... game over.

So yeah, it hurts and it takes a while to warm up but you gotta keep moving....... stillness is death.
The price you pay. I abused my joints and bones and organs something terrible in my intemperate youth. When I get out of bed these days it sounds like someone stepping on bubble wrap. Then there's the kidney stones, scar tissue on one eye, misshapen fingers, etc. However, I did for the most part avoid cauliflower ear somehow. In practice, I have to pop right up every time (can't let the kids see any weakness), but when I get home I gotta soak the machine for at least an hour.

Time is a bitch.
You coaching wrestling?
Yeah, for the city where I teach. Of course this past year we got virused out of our season. Starting up again next year is going to be a challenge.

Gabe Lackmann
Yes I understand lol
I was very uncomfortable the first few months with such close contact . My first roll was very odd lol
Now I only just see another body

MT is very good

My goal is to keep training until age 55 !!
Then at 55 ..I am going to try to get proficient on guns !!

I feel my body can handle another several years but that is it

Gabe Lackmann
What is more awkward is rolling with a girl or having to go against a shirtless guy .
That makes me extremely nervous and I don’t like it

Gabe Lackmann
What is more awkward is rolling with a girl or having to go against a shirtless guy .
That makes me extremely nervous and I don’t like it
That's another reason the Army adopted it; to teach Joes how to "close with and destroy the enemy". A grappling based hand to hand system helps soldiers get past that reluctance to get in there and fuck people up and kill them.

You got to train them to get in there.

freyasman
The army probably only spends such a short time on this
True.
It really depends on the unit; if you get a PSG or 1SG who is into it, you'll spend a lot more PT sessions doing this. Having a CO into it is really good too. Problem is, soldiers are breakable........ units get uptight about that. So they don't really like to indulge in this sort of training much.
What usually happens is, the young soldiers get exposed to it in the rare Army training sessions, decide they like it, and they find a place off post to train in it.

I was rolling BJJ at a place in Clarksville TN outside Ft Campbell and the instructor (Gracie Barra) was an NCO assigned to 5th group. He told me and a couple of other active duty guys that if we wanted more mat time, that we could come roll at the 5th Group Combatives gym. The 101st wasn't willing to spend the funds to have their own Combatives facility but 5th group was. And rolling at the 5th Group gym was free.

As far as frequency of training, it really depends on the prevailing attitudes of the higher ups in a unit, and in the majority of them, that attitude is more about getting themselves promoted than it is about training effective soldiers.

I think guns is better for the army

I don’t train to fight and I often avoid conflict
I train only for passion

Forum List

Back