Bit Defender

Zona

A guy in ariZONA
Aug 15, 2009
Phoenix, AZ.
If you are using BitDefender 2010 as a anti virus program and you have Windows 7 64, do not shut your computer down. You are in virus hell right now and they are working on it. Believe me, I know.

Trojan.fakealert.5

From what I read, they are working on it, but if you shut your computer down and try to reboot, you will most likely not be able to run anything. Some even say they got the blue screen of death.

This just sucks.

If you are using BitDefender 2010 as a anti virus program and you have Windows 7 64, do not shut your computer down. You are in virus hell right now and they are working on it. Believe me, I know.

Trojan.fakealert.5

From what I read, they are working on it, but if you shut your computer down and try to reboot, you will most likely not be able to run anything. Some even say they got the blue screen of death.

This just sucks.
I have Vista and I've been getting pop ups saying the trojan was blocked.

Where is it coming from...in other words, is it part of an email or what?

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

SWell, I would cut and paste you a link but it wont let me now....oh man.

just google, trojan.fakealert.5

It is a big, big thing right now. JUST DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER.

Last edited:

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

I found this thread on BD's site. If you can, turn off real time protection (under anti-virus, set your options to expert mode) and turn off automatic scan (mine was set to do a system scan daily). (If you can't figure it out check your help files).

EEK! What a clusterfuck!

Bad Update Or....? Trojan.fakealert.5 - Fp - BitDefender Forum

I found this thread on BD's site. If you can, turn off real time protection (under anti-virus, set your options to expert mode) and turn off automatic scan (mine was set to do a system scan daily). (If you can't figure it out check your help files).

EEK! What a clusterfuck!

Bad Update Or....? Trojan.fakealert.5 - Fp - BitDefender Forum

If you scan your computer right now, everything will come back as being infected. Oh man. I know it will probably be a quick fix but boy did they screw up.

I have a feeling they will give us a free month or something, but boy this is frustrtating. The poor people who rebooted thier computers are screwed.

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

Our researchers at TrendLabs have discovered a new set of rogue antivirus software circulating in the wild. Based on initial analysis, these threats arrive mainly via spammed email messages that contain a link to a bogus celebrity video scandal. We have also received reports that the said link is circulating in instant messaging applications and private messages in social networking Web sites, too.

Once the said URL link is clicked, the Web threat infection chain begins and ultimately leads to the download of a Trojan detected by Trend Micro as TROJ_FAKEAV.CX. This Trojan is a rogue antivirus that displays very convincing (and for some, alarming) messages, such as the following:
Fake Antivirus Trojans Ramping Up

>>

Trojan.fakealert.5 at BitDefender infected many computers

Today in the late afternoon millions of users of famous antivirus BitDefender had their computers infected by a trojan virus type bearing the name “Trojan.fakealert.5. The company recommends all users to disable their anti-virus and give time to prepare a corrective update.

BitDefender users were surprised after updating to see all system files (dll) for Windows infected by “Trajoan.fakealert.5. This is a global phenomenon due to error, not a virus.

If your computer does not work, does not respond … do not panic, just off the realtime protection and to restore the infected files (if you did not deleted! If you need to reinstall your entire system) and wait until the next update of BitDefender.

Fix Trojan.fakealert.5 problem The BitDefender company is working on fixing the trojan.fakealert.5 problem. They have already posted information on their support forums mentioning that company will be issuing an automatic update as soon as possible.
Trojan.fakealert.5 at BitDefender infected many computers | White Hat News

"(if you did not deleted! If you need to reinstall your entire system"....what language is that? :)

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

Our researchers at TrendLabs have discovered a new set of rogue antivirus software circulating in the wild. Based on initial analysis, these threats arrive mainly via spammed email messages that contain a link to a bogus celebrity video scandal. We have also received reports that the said link is circulating in instant messaging applications and private messages in social networking Web sites, too.

Once the said URL link is clicked, the Web threat infection chain begins and ultimately leads to the download of a Trojan detected by Trend Micro as TROJ_FAKEAV.CX. This Trojan is a rogue antivirus that displays very convincing (and for some, alarming) messages, such as the following:
Fake Antivirus Trojans Ramping Up

>>

Trojan.fakealert.5 at BitDefender infected many computers

Today in the late afternoon millions of users of famous antivirus BitDefender had their computers infected by a trojan virus type bearing the name “Trojan.fakealert.5. The company recommends all users to disable their anti-virus and give time to prepare a corrective update.

BitDefender users were surprised after updating to see all system files (dll) for Windows infected by “Trajoan.fakealert.5. This is a global phenomenon due to error, not a virus.

If your computer does not work, does not respond … do not panic, just off the realtime protection and to restore the infected files (if you did not deleted! If you need to reinstall your entire system) and wait until the next update of BitDefender.

Fix Trojan.fakealert.5 problem The BitDefender company is working on fixing the trojan.fakealert.5 problem. They have already posted information on their support forums mentioning that company will be issuing an automatic update as soon as possible.
Trojan.fakealert.5 at BitDefender infected many computers | White Hat News

so idiots are clicking on email links about celebrity scandals?

WTF cares...let it infect the shit out of these people's computers. serves them right

Turned out to be a big f up on BD's part. The damn thing was eating itself...along with every other program on the computer. jeesh! Not sure where you got that celebrity virus info from Val, but that wasn't the issue.

Turned out to be a big f up on BD's part. The damn thing was eating itself...along with every other program on the computer. jeesh! Not sure where you got that celebrity virus info from Val, but that wasn't the issue.

Yeah what I posted is about two separate things...The second being what Zona posted about. I don't have windows 7 or Bit Defender. That mention of a celebrity video is just one of a zillion ways people have been getting infected with that type of malware.

Uh, yeah. I have no idea what that's about. I simply turned on my computer and then all the fun started.

You say, eating itself....not really. It is putting files in the quarantine area. I think the fix will search for files in quarantine with that trojan name and un quarantine them..I hope.

It might pay to obtain or buy a Linux CD, say Ubuntu which is nice and straightforward and at least you get to have an operating system that will allow you to get at your files and save them or back them up to an external drive or burn them so you don't lose data.

You can run Ubuntu as a Live CD and not install it, it might help until this is fixed.

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

Hi Guys, I am Raluca, from BitDefender.
Just wanted to let you know that, as a BitDefender representative, I apologize for the issues that you are experiencing on behalf of the BitDefender update released today for Windows 64-bit systems. The faulty update has been removed and we are quickly working on a fix for the issues experienced by the users that downloaded this update. Here is some background information on this problem:

Today (morning PST) we had an update for 64-bit systems (available on our servers between 8 AM and 11 30 AM PST) that caused multiple Windows and BitDefender files to be quarantined. We are creating a patch that will restore all quarantined files. The patch will be available shortly. We apologize for this error and we will work to prevent this from occurring again in the future.

Also, please only use removal tools from bitdefender.com, all other removal tools are exploits created by malware writers. All updates regarding a patch and/or removal tools will be posted here on our KB#638 article.

Thank you for your understanding, I will keep you updated.

Raluca

Trojan.fakealert.5

This just sucks.

Hi Guys, I am Raluca, from BitDefender.
Just wanted to let you know that, as a BitDefender representative, I apologize for the issues that you are experiencing on behalf of the BitDefender update released today for Windows 64-bit systems. The faulty update has been removed and we are quickly working on a fix for the issues experienced by the users that downloaded this update. Here is some background information on this problem:

Today (morning PST) we had an update for 64-bit systems (available on our servers between 8 AM and 11 30 AM PST) that caused multiple Windows and BitDefender files to be quarantined. We are creating a patch that will restore all quarantined files. The patch will be available shortly. We apologize for this error and we will work to prevent this from occurring again in the future.

Also, please only use removal tools from bitdefender.com, all other removal tools are exploits created by malware writers. All updates regarding a patch and/or removal tools will be posted here on our KB#638 article.

Thank you for your understanding, I will keep you updated.

Raluca

If you actually work for bit defender, I feel for you. Your reputation is destoyed after this litle hickup.

Personally, I hope it doesnt make you have to fold, because up until now, I had no problems, but damn, when you guys screw up, you do it big time.

I heard so many people say..(on your web site) say they are through with bd. Personally, I dont think I will leave it...there is NO WAY this will happen again, but wow did you screw up. By the way, I now have no cd drive and ne flix wont play etc etc. There are guys over there who made the mistake of rebooting the computers. Not good. I have seen guys saying, blue screen, or black screens.ect.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back