BIRDS

Specifically, Cardinals.
We have a pair that pays us a daily visit. They love whole Peanuts and Sunflower seeds. Problem is, so do the Squirrels. Damn tree rats hoover them up as soon as we put them out.
Solution: White Safflower seed.
Cardinals love them, vermin does not.

Try Suet Cages.. I make my own bird cakes twice a week. The rascally squirrels can't get to them. I have six Cardinals and 4 American Robins, Gold finches, Towees.. and others I can't identify.. The cages will cost under $2.00 each.

The possums or coons kept dragging my suet cages away. I eventually moved one up next to the road and it stopped that.

Anyway as for the cardinals, I have hanging feeders. The squirrels seldom bother the ones on shepherd's hooks and I don't really care if the get in the ones hanging from tree limbs since I do put corn cobs out nearby for them periodically.

Wagners wild bird seed I got off amazon but the other was from Costco and then we bought another somewhere else. My boyfriend usually feeds them but he started working again and being out of town. So now I am taking over.

Wagners wild bird seed I got off amazon but the other was from Costco and then we bought another somewhere else. My boyfriend usually feeds them but he started working again and being out of town. So now I am taking over.

Black oil sunflower like the other poster said should attract cardinals and blue Jay's

I only put out suet and I get both cardinals and bluejays

Black oil sunflower like the other poster said should attract cardinals and blue Jay's

maybe they are not in my area or the pigeons are pushing them off lol

we have cardinals all year round - & they are monogamous. i can't whistle very well, but can mimic a male cardinal pretty well & one specifically will follow me around the yard while we sing to each other. i have baffles on the poles for all my feeders that the squirrels can't crawl around, but once in a while i get an acrobat that gets on the clothesline & then my BB gun comes out. i throw enough seed on the ground for groundfeeding birds & the squirrels are welcome to it- but that is never enough for them. the greedy bastards.

Last edited:

Cardinals rarely are seen at my suet cage. It tends to attract woodpeckers. The cardinals usually go to the seed feeders where they eat the good stuff and kick the rest off the sides for the sparrows and moles to eat off the ground when they are not running for their lives from a cat.

These guys are out at the Park where I walk a lot. They're pretty funny animals.

Mallard_speculum.jpg

Black oil sunflower seeds, is the winner all the way around!!!!

I am The Bird Whisperer....

Don't bother with bird seed that is mixed....they just pick out the sunflower seeds and all the rest of those little tanish yellow ball seeds just end up on the ground and eventually a yard full of weeds!!!!!

I have near every bird that exists in Maine, that is not a water bird, visit my feeders or all the wild flowers and flowering weeds and flowering trees in the yard edge near the woods.

Lots of old pictures above that I've posted here years ago....

On the number one fruit, of all time, that I throw out in to the yard are apples...

Deer love them, every bird loves them but the mourning doves, skunks love them, chipmonks love them, squirrels love them, porcupines love them, raccoons love them, rabbits love them, and yes...black bears love them!

We do have red cardinals here too, and they stay in the winter....which I never expected them to do.

Last edited:
I keep seeing what looks like a Crane on my daily walks, but I could never figure out what species of Crane it was. Well, upon searching, it apparently seems to be a Heron not a Crane. It looks just like this guy:

1280px-Great_egret_%28Ardea_alba%29_Tobago.jpg

I keep seeing what looks like a Crane on my daily walks, but I could never figure out what species of Crane it was. Well, upon searching, it apparently seems to be a Heron not a Crane. It looks just like this guy:

1280px-Great_egret_%28Ardea_alba%29_Tobago.jpg
Could be an Egret or great white egret?

yup, it's an Egret. But Wikipedia says can also be called a Great Heron!

common egret, large egret, or (in the Old World) great white egret[2] or great white heron....its Wingspan is huge, it flies low to the water and perches above the canal near the park and kinda lifeguards all the ducks. It's funny.

These guys are out at the Park where I walk a lot. They're pretty funny animals.

Mallard_speculum.jpg

i have a vernal pool that mallards tend to set up housekeeping in the spring & a few will come to the feeders. they like the cracked corn i throw on the ground. ever once in a while we get wood ducks. the females look like female mallards - but the males are so pretty. they sound like crap though - no real quacking but more of a screech & are much shyer than mallards.

images

LOL. Great thread.

I raise and breed finches in my indoor aviary. I've done it for 30 years. I probably have 50. Zebras are my favorite.

Then I have a section just for my purdy Red and Orange Cheeked Waxbills.

Here is something fun to try with kids around. On a very cold day go to a place where a lot of mallards gather.

Slowly start throwing shelled corn to attract them. As they gather throw more and more. Then start throwing handfuls. They'll gather in a big circle causing a huge commotion as they eat the corn off of each others backs and everything.......lolol

it is hilarious and a sight to see surely to attract all the little ones. Than you stop feeding and loudly say WOOOSSSHHHHH......................And 200 birds flap and scatter away.....lol

Forum List

Back