Billions: Star Trek on Wall Street

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Gene Roddenberry originally pitched Star Trek as “Wagon Train to the Stars” to network executives, playing on the reputation of the popular western. As I begin watching season 4 of Billions on DVDs from the library, I wondered if the producers pitched it as “Star Trek on Wall Street.”

Bobby Axelrod is the Captain Kirk at the helm of the USS Free Enterprise, boldly going where no hedge fund has gone before. His white, bright modern office conjures the film bridge design of the Star Trek 2009 reboot.

The non-binary Taylor is Spock/Data, a character that takes a dark turn in Season 3. The company therapist, Wendy Rhoades, is Counselor Troi. Mike ‘Wags’ Wagner, Axelrod’s Number 2, is no Riker. He is gruff, loveable, and sassy, like Bones, with a bit of Q mischief.

The enemy, U.S. District Attorney Chuck Rhoades, is part of a team of bickering Star Fleet bureaucrats out to punish Axelrod for violating the Prime Directive: insider trading.

I really missed the original Star Trek movies that had a sense of wonder in them as they dealt with the baddies in a lower violence way todays Star Trek which is all about beating up the aliens in movie after movie it is the same formula Aliens are bad/evil and humans are good and strong.

That is a low bar for me no longer bother to watch it anymore will enjoy the first 5 series and ignore the rest.

I really missed the original Star Trek movies that had a sense of wonder in them as they dealt with the baddies in a lower violence way todays Star Trek which is all about beating up the aliens in movie after movie it is the same formula Aliens are bad/evil and humans are good and strong.

That is a low bar for me no longer bother to watch it anymore will enjoy the first 5 series and ignore the rest.

The original series was about the unknown, the adventure, the mystery of what will happen.

Next generation was about the crew for most part.

Both were good.

But the last few tries at star trek are star trek in name only. They are boring and dull, or heavy handed woke bullshit trying to bring social hot topics up in it. They completely missed anything related to star trek.

The Orville is more star trek than anything officially named star trek for the past 20 years.

Forum List

Back