Bill O statement: It depends on what your definition of "see" is? See?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
First, a little backstory. Soon after the Sandy Hook massacre in Newtown, O’Reilly spoke on the air about the nature of evil. “I don’t think a lot of people understand,” he said. “My mother, for example, doesn’t understand evil. When I would tell her, ‘Hey, mom, I was in El Salvador and I saw nuns get shot in the back of the head,’ she almost couldn’t process it. She couldn’t process it.”

In reality, while Catholic nuns were executed during El Salvador’s civil war in December 1980, O’Reilly could not have seen them get shot – he was not in El Salvador in December 1980. He arrived in the country the following year.

Since there’s no way O’Reilly could have seen what he claims to have seen, Fox News gave “The Rachel Maddow Show” a statement from O’Reilly, which read as follows:

“While in El Salvador, reporters were shown horrendous images of violence that were never broadcast, including depictions of nuns who were murdered. The mention of the nuns on my program came the day of the Newtown massacre. The segment was about evil and how hard it is for folks to comprehend it. I used the murder nuns as an example of that evil. That’s what I was referring to when I say, ‘I saw nuns get shot in the back of head.’ No one could possibly take that segment as reporting on El Salvador.”

That’s a pretty remarkable response for a couple of reasons.

First, we’ve reached a curious point at which O’Reilly is parsing the meaning of the word “see.” When the Fox host said he “saw nuns get shot,” he apparently meant he saw pictures of nuns who were shot, and according to O’Reilly, those two sentiments have identical meaning.

He isn't a newscaster. He evaluates the news.
Don't hold your breath.

He isn't a newscaster. He evaluates the news.
Don't hold your breath.

"evaluates"

That's what Fox calls lying now and you're right. Both Fox and the gullible RWs will continue to hang on his every lie. They know Fox lies in 82% of their stories and that's the way the RW idiots want it.

You just can't fix stupid.

I could of sworn they were talking Billy Boy Clinton

oh no it's another nobody

Bill O'Reilly is channeling Forrest Gump as he personally witnesses history

Do you believe the bloviator of all bloviators or do you believe actual news foot age via the camera?
Bill O Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem Mother Jones

"The protest in Buenos Aires was not combat. Nor was it part of the Falklands war. It happened more than a thousand miles from the war—after the fighting was over. Yet O'Reilly has referred to his work in Argentina—and his rescue of his cameraman—as occurring in a "war zone." And he once told a viewer who caught his show in Argentina, "Tell everybody down there I covered the Falklands war. They'll remember."

Forum List

Back