Big vehicles: War wagons

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Despite the environmental mantra of “small is beautiful,” Americans continue to abandon small cars in favor of bulky SUVs. Fuel-sipping subcompacts such as the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit have been dropped from the 2021 model lines in the U.S., though small cars are still popular in other countries.

As noted in a Motorweek review, drivers want to “sit high with a commanding view,” the instinct of a general who wants the high ground in any battle. Americans seem to be preparing for civil war in their car buying decisions. You don’t want to be sitting in a small, lightweight car looking up at your enemy in a battle-ready, tank-like SUV.

Despite the environmental mantra of “small is beautiful,” Americans continue to abandon small cars in favor of bulky SUVs. Fuel-sipping subcompacts such as the Toyota Yaris and Honda Fit have been dropped from the 2021 model lines in the U.S., though small cars are still popular in other countries.

As noted in a Motorweek review, drivers want to “sit high with a commanding view,” the instinct of a general who wants the high ground in any battle. Americans seem to be preparing for civil war in their car buying decisions. You don’t want to be sitting in a small, lightweight car looking up at your enemy in a battle-ready, tank-like SUV.

You ever driven a Toyota Yaris a cross the country? I drove it's previous nameplate the Toyota Echo from San Diego, CA to Jacksonville, FL. Going up the mountains in California, I thought I was going to have to get out and push. With the gas pedal floored, I was making about 30 mph. I was so sore when I got home, it took me almost a week to recover.

My personal vehicles are now a Ford Explorer and a Ford Fiesta. The Fiesta is a good car, built in Mexico, and gets good gas mileage, but I try not to leave the county in it because if I do, it might require a hospital stay. Ford discontinued them.

Small is also more dangerous in car wrecks, and sitting higher is actually better for driving as you can see the road better.

I have a Ford 250 460 that is a joy to drive, have toted a trailer with then 25" F5 Obsession telescope into high places, hundreds of people benefitted from looking through my Telescope, can NOT do that with a small car......

Forum List

Back