Big Day Today

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I am going with my 25 year old son as he buys his first new car today. He's narrowed his choice down to three models. A Scion tC, a Kia Forte or a Hyundai Elantra. I tried to get him to look at the Camaro and the Charger.....but he said he wanted something sporty but more "sensible" with really high gas mileage. Kids!

Anyone with any info on any of those cars?

I dont know much about this years model but our KIA has been a good car

it does not get as good of mpg as the Cobalt

but then again the Cobalt is a striped down model with a manual trans

40 mph winter 44 mph summer using 87 octane with no corn squeezins

we are going to try and hold out on a new car until the hydrogen models are readily available

one of the kids has a hyundai

she has put lots of miles on it

and has came though considering her abusive lifestyle towards autos

good luck with the car shopping

I am going with my 25 year old son as he buys his first new car today. He's narrowed his choice down to three models. A Scion tC, a Kia Forte or a Hyundai Elantra. I tried to get him to look at the Camaro and the Charger.....but he said he wanted something sporty but more "sensible" with really high gas mileage. Kids!

I think he's sensible and those cars look good but I'm not so sure about their reliability.

All I know is Hondas kick ass. Hondas last about as long as a Mercedes.

He's wise not to get a Camaro because it's a GM product and a Charger is a Dodge which tends to leak oil after 30k miles.

BTW

What does a Chevy and a Black Hole have in common...............they both suck.:eusa_angel:

Thanks.

That KIA has gotten some good reviews. I can't help thinking "Killed In Action" whenever I see the logo, though.

It is also the least expensive of the three.....with the highest performing engine.

I think he's sensible and those cars look good but I'm not so sure about their reliability.

He's wise not to get a Camaro because it's a GM product and a Charger is a Dodge which tends to leak oil after 30k miles.

BTW

What does a Chevy and a Black Hole have in common...............they both suck.:eusa_angel:

Well, I drive an 09 HHR panel van as my work vehicle. It has 195k on it and I have only had one repair ( to the a/c ) outside of scheduled maintenance. The dealer gives me free oil changes for life..........and I get them 10 times per year.

Just luck, I guess.

BTW

I agree with Mudwhistle about Hondas, I have had good experiences with them.

BTW

No doubt Hondas are quality cars. He says they are a little too boring.

Scions are overpriced and their tires are undersized.

My ex had two of them and finally realized that she was better off with Toyota.

BTW

Stupid post. Totally devoid of facts from start to finish.

Note: a new Charger with the 300HP V6 will touch 30MPG!

Also note: a new car is a dreadful purchase. It is money down a rat hole.

BTW

Honda has pretty much tanked lately. Offhand, they were SUED over engine failures in the minivans! The V6 Accords and vans have transmission problems. The CRV's have A/C problems that can cost $3000+ to fix. The Odysseys have been having electrical problems.

Toyota's and Honda's are the best cars but they do cost more both new and used. ... :cool:

There's a good reason......

Yes: the horde of lemmings and fanbois who gush and fawn over them and consider dropping $800+ every 60K for a timing belt "routine service". My sister has an Element...so far, it's eaten $2000 in repairs this year, including (but not limited to) a radiator and a steering rack. It has ~80,000 miles.

BTW

No doubt Hondas are quality cars. He says they are a little too boring.

I just bought my second Honda, last week. It is a 2013 and they look sportier than previous models of the same car, but still, if he doesn't agree, then it won't matter..lol. It would be a great car for him, for many years though. If you, or he, needs financing, now is the time to buy. 0.9%

Last edited:

FYI Kia and Hyundai are the same company, just like Chrysler and Dodge are the same.

I suggest that he looks at the Ford Fiesta and Focus. Good gas mileage out of their new ecotech engines and they look cooler than the competition in that segment.

BTW

Honda has pretty much tanked lately. Offhand, they were SUED over engine failures in the minivans! The V6 Accords and vans have transmission problems. The CRV's have A/C problems that can cost $3000+ to fix. The Odysseys have been having electrical problems.

You just hate Japanese.

Stupid statement!

Offhand, I own one of these...though mine is yellow.
Helix.jpg

And next year, I hope to buy one of these:
Burgman400.jpg

Forum List

Back