Biden Signs Executive Order To End Private Prison Contracts

It's a shame he did this as an executive order. As something that both parties should be able to get behind, it would have been a great opportunity to show some unity and consensus.

Dems don't want to debate issues that some common ground could be found on. That gives people a chance to see that republicans are not comic book super villains.

By their own choice. They could have had a jury trial but they plead out.
Because prosecutors often stack charges in such a way that defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if that defendant has no prior convictions. This is done during the pre-trial phase to encourage defendants to accept plea deals regardless of their innocence or guilt. In order to avoid the possibility of spending decades in prison for a crime they may or may not have committed, defendants plea out and prosecutors notch another "conviction" on their resumes.

I can believe that this is a real thing. It is based upon the idea of liberal courts being staffed by lazy and uncaring lawyers.

I have seen it done to minority Conservatives, specifically dinesh d'souza.
I am not denying that there are injustices done in our courts systems. I have been a victim myself. The bottom line is the bottom line. If they can get you to plead to a lesser charge with no incarceration (which is the most likely result) they win on prosecution and incarceration costs. Most accused jump at the chance because they know they are guilty. Don't break the law and chances are you don't have to worry about it.

UNLESS, you are part of a targeted group, like conservatives or proud boys, and then that system can be used to fuck you up good.

Giving dems the option of abusing power, and they will abuse it, sooner or later.

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

U.S. private prison revenue under pressure from new Biden ...
Business & Financial News, U.S & International Breaking News | Reuters › article › usa-companies...
Investors also eyed the incoming Biden administration as unfriendly generally to the use of private prisons. Both stocks have fallen more than 80% since the early days of Donald Trump’s ...

Because prosecutors often stack charges in such a way that defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if that defendant has no prior convictions. This is done during the pre-trial phase to encourage defendants to accept plea deals regardless of their innocence or guilt. In order to avoid the possibility of spending decades in prison for a crime they may or may not have committed, defendants plea out and prosecutors notch another "conviction" on their resumes.

I can believe that this is a real thing. It is based upon the idea of liberal courts being staffed by lazy and uncaring lawyers.

I am not denying that there are injustices done in our courts systems. I have been a victim myself. The bottom line is the bottom line. If they can get you to plead to a lesser charge with no incarceration (which is the most likely result) they win on prosecution and incarceration costs. Most accused jump at the chance because they know they are guilty. Don't break the law and chances are you don't have to worry about it.

UNLESS, you are part of a targeted group, like conservatives or proud boys, and then that system can be used to fuck you up good.

Giving dems the option of abusing power, and they will abuse it, sooner or later.

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

Business & Financial News, U.S & International Breaking News | Reuters › article › usa-companies...
Investors also eyed the incoming Biden administration as unfriendly generally to the use of private prisons. Both stocks have fallen more than 80% since the early days of Donald Trump’s ...

Lib, make a point or stfu. I'm not playing a guessing game, so that you can then whine that I put words in your mouth.

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

Lib, make a point or stfu. I'm not playing a guessing game, so that you can then whine that I put words in your mouth.

An Unholy Alliance: Private Prisons and the Christian ...
Friendly Atheist › 2013 › 02 › 15 › an...
Feb 15, 2013 · In the spirit of the UMC membership’s actions, private prisons should be seen as “bad faith” investments and evangelical Christians who help fill their pockets with riches (the thirty pieces of...

The Political Bribe that Turned Prisoners Into Profits
End Corruption, Defend the Republic. › action › private-prisons
Nearly every private prison deal includes a “bed mandate” that requires the state to fill 90-100% of the beds in privately-owned detention facilities. That means taxpayers are mandated to either lock up more people or pay the private prison companies for empty beds. You, the taxpayer, are paying for that. Really think about that for a second.

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

Feb 15, 2013 · In the spirit of the UMC membership’s actions, private prisons should be seen as “bad faith” investments and evangelical Christians who help fill their pockets with riches (the thirty pieces of...

Based on what? And what does it have to do with this thread, or my post you are "replying" to?

Are you high, right now?

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

Based on what? And what does it have to do with this thread, or my post you are "replying" to?

Are you high, right now?

High? Nope. I don't get high. You?

And more and more.

3 Hours ago.

Are you high, right now?

High? Nope. I don't get high. You?

So, what the fuck is your point with that stupid shit you have been posting.

Chick filet is also an early investor in private prisons. See Wackenhut.

Chick filet is also an early investor in private prisons. See Wackenhut.

So, what? Are you trying to imply there is something wrong with that? Are you saying that Biden is targeting them because he si a partisan asshole?

Are you just stupid?

I think plea bargaining has more to do with conservative notions of small government. Courts on state and local levels would grind to a halt if every defendant received a jury trial. Imho, that has more to do with insufficient tax revenues than with lazy lawyers.

Is this what you're referring to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D%27Souza#:~:text=In%202014%2C%20D'Souza%20pleaded,probation%2C%20and%20a%20%2430%2C000%20fine.

"In 2014, D'Souza pleaded guilty in federal court to one felony charge of using a 'straw donor' to make an illegal campaign contribution to a 2012 United States Senate campaign.[13][14]

"He was sentenced to eight months in a halfway house near his home in San Diego, five years' probation, and a $30,000 fine.[15][16]

"In 2018, D'Souza was issued a pardon by President Donald Trump."

I think plea bargaining has more to do with conservative notions of small government. Courts on state and local levels would grind to a halt if every defendant received a jury trial. Imho, that has more to do with insufficient tax revenues than with lazy lawyers.

That could be a part of it. Over reaction to excessive government spending, can, and has led to at least one case that I know of, of ideologically driven excessive cheapness.

Is this what you're referring to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinesh_D%27Souza#:~:text=In%202014%2C%20D'Souza%20pleaded,probation%2C%20and%20a%20%2430%2C000%20fine.

"In 2014, D'Souza pleaded guilty in federal court to one felony charge of using a 'straw donor' to make an illegal campaign contribution to a 2012 United States Senate campaign.[13][14]

"He was sentenced to eight months in a halfway house near his home in San Diego, five years' probation, and a $30,000 fine.[15][16]

"In 2018, D'Souza was issued a pardon by President Donald Trump."

Yes. They basically bullied him in to pleaing, in just the manner you described.

You can't be charged as a repeat offender if you haven't been convicted. Period. If the prosecutor convinces you (or your incompetent lawyer) that they can convict you as a repeat offender and you believe it, again that is your problem
Here's the source of my claim:

"In Arizona, repeat felony offenders face harsher sentencing guidelines than first-time offenders. When prosecutors “stack” charges, defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if the defendant has no prior convictions.

"Under current guidelines, as long as a prosecutor can prove that crimes were committed on separate occasions, the crimes can be prosecuted in the same trial but for the second and subsequent offenses, the defendant is sentenced as a repeat offender."

In my experience a public defender's incompetence has more to do with the number of defendants she must represent than it does with her understanding of the law.

You should consider why there are so many Americans currently in prison. A young male with brown or black skin has more profit-generating potential inside a private prison than he does on the streets.

Private profits.
Social costs.

You can't be charged as a repeat offender if you haven't been convicted. Period. If the prosecutor convinces you (or your incompetent lawyer) that they can convict you as a repeat offender and you believe it, again that is your problem
Here's the source of my claim:

"In Arizona, repeat felony offenders face harsher sentencing guidelines than first-time offenders. When prosecutors “stack” charges, defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if the defendant has no prior convictions.

"Under current guidelines, as long as a prosecutor can prove that crimes were committed on separate occasions, the crimes can be prosecuted in the same trial but for the second and subsequent offenses, the defendant is sentenced as a repeat offender."

In my experience a public defender's incompetence has more to do with the number of defendants she must represent than it does with her understanding of the law.

You should consider why there are so many Americans currently in prison. A young male with brown or black skin has more profit-generating potential inside a private prison than he does on the streets.

Private profits.
Social costs.

When you cry wacism, you destroy your credibility.

"President Joe Biden on Tuesday will order the Department of Justice to end its reliance on private prisons [as well as] acknowledge the central role the government has played in implementing discriminatory housing policies, White House officials say. The order to end the reliance on privately run prisons directs the attorney general not to renew Justice Department contracts with privately operated criminal detention facilities. The latest executive actions come after Biden signed an order Monday reversing a Trump-era Pentagon policy that largely barred transgender people from serving in the military."

WTF?? Do you know how much money you costing investors in the private prison industry by doing this?? The private prison industry shot up like a rocket during the Trump admin; now these thug fascists are attacking private prisons?? This is obviously proof that BLM controls Biden; because this was the crap they were advocating for along with judicial, police and prison reform...

Why can't they just do what Trump did?? Just release a few people early here and there so you can claim that you are doing justice reform; but you aren't supposed to ACTUALLY do something..especially something like this that causes investors to lose money...It was bad enough we can no longer ban a bunch of cross dressing fags and queers from the military...but this attack on private prisons is even worse...

Private prisons go back to 1984. The big investors were Evangelical Christians like Hobby Lobby.. and I think Chick Filet.. They made a fortune in huge profits. The problem with prisons for profit is that they had to fill a bed quota. They hired the cheapest guards and served the cheapest food, but it has been a money maker. Its a horror story.

On this I agree.

There is too much temptation to fill those empty cells when there is a profit motive.

Forum List

Back