Biden Signs Executive Order To End Private Prison Contracts

By their own choice. They could have had a jury trial but they plead out.
Because prosecutors often stack charges in such a way that defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if that defendant has no prior convictions. This is done during the pre-trial phase to encourage defendants to accept plea deals regardless of their innocence or guilt. In order to avoid the possibility of spending decades in prison for a crime they may or may not have committed, defendants plea out and prosecutors notch another "conviction" on their resumes.

I can believe that this is a real thing. It is based upon the idea of liberal courts being staffed by lazy and uncaring lawyers.

I have seen it done to minority Conservatives, specifically dinesh d'souza.
I am not denying that there are injustices done in our courts systems. I have been a victim myself. The bottom line is the bottom line. If they can get you to plead to a lesser charge with no incarceration (which is the most likely result) they win on prosecution and incarceration costs. Most accused jump at the chance because they know they are guilty. Don't break the law and chances are you don't have to worry about it.

UNLESS, you are part of a targeted group, like conservatives or proud boys, and then that system can be used to fuck you up good.

Giving dems the option of abusing power, and they will abuse it, sooner or later.

And more and more.

Private prisons go back to 1984. The big investors were Evangelical Christians like Hobby Lobby.. and I think Chick Filet.

They are nothing new, but I did not know either of these corps invested in private prisons. Thanks for the info.

The problem with prisons for profit is that they had to fill a bed quota. They hired the cheapest guards and served the cheapest food, but it has been a money maker. Its a horror story.

I'm sure it's fantastic if you're an investor. Some even held/hold esteemed positions, like governors, senators and representatives. No conflict of interest there, amirite? :113:

The actual prison facilities themselves? Utter shit shows, many with inmate treatment black marks and ethical violations as far as the eye can see.

By their own choice. They could have had a jury trial but they plead out.
Because prosecutors often stack charges in such a way that defendants can be sentenced as repeat offenders even if that defendant has no prior convictions. This is done during the pre-trial phase to encourage defendants to accept plea deals regardless of their innocence or guilt. In order to avoid the possibility of spending decades in prison for a crime they may or may not have committed, defendants plea out and prosecutors notch another "conviction" on their resumes.

I can believe that this is a real thing. It is based upon the idea of liberal courts being staffed by lazy and uncaring lawyers.

I have seen it done to minority Conservatives, specifically dinesh d'souza.
I am not denying that there are injustices done in our courts systems. I have been a victim myself. The bottom line is the bottom line. If they can get you to plead to a lesser charge with no incarceration (which is the most likely result) they win on prosecution and incarceration costs. Most accused jump at the chance because they know they are guilty. Don't break the law and chances are you don't have to worry about it.

UNLESS, you are part of a targeted group, like conservatives or proud boys, and then that system can be used to fuck you up good.

Giving dems the option of abusing power, and they will abuse it, sooner or later.

And more and more.
Granted, so like most thinking people do, you mitigate your risk. I got busted for driving with a burned out headlight in San Diego. I was a long hair and my partner had patchouli oil on. The smell was probable cause to search and they found pot on my partner. I plead to being in a place to save my job and avoid incarceration. Was I guilty, yes. Was the search questionable, again yes. Bottom line--if I wasn't guilty, I would have gotten a fix it ticket. If you are driving drunk after leaving a bar at two o'clock in the morning, chances are better that you will be busted than if you leave the bar at 11:30. Mitigate your risk.

"President Joe Biden on Tuesday will order the Department of Justice to end its reliance on private prisons [as well as] acknowledge the central role the government has played in implementing discriminatory housing policies, White House officials say. The order to end the reliance on privately run prisons directs the attorney general not to renew Justice Department contracts with privately operated criminal detention facilities. The latest executive actions come after Biden signed an order Monday reversing a Trump-era Pentagon policy that largely barred transgender people from serving in the military."

WTF?? Do you know how much money you costing investors in the private prison industry by doing this?? The private prison industry shot up like a rocket during the Trump admin; now these thug fascists are attacking private prisons?? This is obviously proof that BLM controls Biden; because this was the crap they were advocating for along with judicial, police and prison reform...

Why can't they just do what Trump did?? Just release a few people early here and there so you can claim that you are doing justice reform; but you aren't supposed to ACTUALLY do something..especially something like this that causes investors to lose money...It was bad enough we can no longer ban a bunch of cross dressing fags and queers from the military...but this attack on private prisons is even worse...
Nonsense.

This is a perfectly appropriate and warranted EO by the president.

Private prisons go back to 1984. The big investors were Evangelical Christians like Hobby Lobby.. and I think Chick Filet.

They are nothing new, but I did not know either of these corps invested in private prisons. Thanks for the info.

The problem with prisons for profit is that they had to fill a bed quota. They hired the cheapest guards and served the cheapest food, but it has been a money maker. Its a horror story.

I'm sure it's fantastic if you're an investor. Some even held/hold esteemed positions, like governors, senators and representatives. No conflict of interest there, amirite? :113:

The actual prison facilities themselves? Utter shit shows, many with inmate treatment black marks and ethical violations as far as the eye can see.

She hasn't posted any proof that they did.

She did not. Good catch.

We never should have gone to for profit Prisons

So who's going to pay for the new prisons that will be needed?
Perhaps if we decriminalize things like weed possession and minor drug offenses; we won't be filling up prisons based on a profit motive instead of a public safety motive

When you say minor.
Are you talking about possessing a small amount or selling?
Small amount of possession, like someone with small amounts of meth or crack.......or maybe that soccer mom you want us to have empathy for because she is hooked on oxys.....oh wait, soccer moms don't get sent to prison.....

Some folks who actually give a fuck about criminal justice and prison reform have been sounding the alarm long before now.......

I recall a major scandal of a judge sending kids to private prisons in exchange for cash -- the reason why this was major is because it is rare that a judge is punished for something like this....and he isn't rare, he was just the one who got caught.....

"A former Pennsylvania judge involved in a scheme to send children to a for-profit jail in exchange for kickbacks was released from federal prison with six years left on his sentence because of coronavirus concerns."

Some folks who actually give a fuck about criminal justice and prison reform have been sounding the alarm long before now.......

I recall a major scandal of a judge sending kids to private prisons in exchange for cash -- the reason why this was major is because it is rare that a judge is punished for something like this....and he isn't rare, he was just the one who got caught.....

"A former Pennsylvania judge involved in a scheme to send children to a for-profit jail in exchange for kickbacks was released from federal prison with six years left on his sentence because of coronavirus concerns."

Yep.. Private prisons have quotas to fill..

"President Joe Biden on Tuesday will order the Department of Justice to end its reliance on private prisons [as well as] acknowledge the central role the government has played in implementing discriminatory housing policies, White House officials say. The order to end the reliance on privately run prisons directs the attorney general not to renew Justice Department contracts with privately operated criminal detention facilities. The latest executive actions come after Biden signed an order Monday reversing a Trump-era Pentagon policy that largely barred transgender people from serving in the military."

WTF?? Do you know how much money you costing investors in the private prison industry by doing this?? The private prison industry shot up like a rocket during the Trump admin; now these thug fascists are attacking private prisons?? This is obviously proof that BLM controls Biden; because this was the crap they were advocating for along with judicial, police and prison reform...

Why can't they just do what Trump did?? Just release a few people early here and there so you can claim that you are doing justice reform; but you aren't supposed to ACTUALLY do something..especially something like this that causes investors to lose money...It was bad enough we can no longer ban a bunch of cross dressing fags and queers from the military...but this attack on private prisons is even worse...
investors aren't guaranteed that any investment will make money

I get irritated by folks who try to pretend this doesn't happen.......when there is ample amounts of proof that this does happen...

Meanwhile these same folks will believe the most batshit crazy insane Deep State cabal conspiracies with ZERO EVIDENCE......

It's a shame he did this as an executive order. As something that both parties should be able to get behind, it would have been a great opportunity to show some unity and consensus.

It's a shame he did this as an executive order. As something that both parties should be able to get behind, it would have been a great opportunity to show some unity and consensus.
The other party would have opposed it......

The other party would have opposed it......
Maybe - but this is the perfect kind of issue to break that wall. Many Republicans know that privatizing prisons has been a mistake. Missed opportunity.

Any luck with your Hobby Lobby and Chik-fil-A claims?

Forum List

Back