Biden just said he's planning to build trains that travel as fast as commercial jets

I’ve never been on a train for a long trip but I can’t imagine you don’t check your bags. I don’t see everyone going to their seats with two rolling suit cases. No way.

Yeah you do. I've crossed the country by train.

Second, there’s no chance these trains won’t have a two hour check in time with TSA and all the same shit they have at airports. We used to run into an airport 15 minutes before take off, not now. Trains would be the same.

Speculation fallacy.

Third, and this is the technical part. You can’t just have a train going LA to NY like a direct flight. It’s not feasable, cost wise or use wise. The train would have to stop. A lot. So what stops? Let’s say LA, SLC, Denver, KC, STL, Chicago, Philly, NYC? Something like that. You aren’t smoking through those cities at 350 mph, sudden stop, 15 minute unload reload time and back to 350 mph. It’s an hour per stop minimum after slowing down well before getting there and leaving.

None of it makes sense as a tax payer investment. If a private railroad thinks they can do it I’m all for it. Not all of us paying for this mess.

The OP wasn't about "taxpayer investment", nor was it about security lines. -- it was about speed. It was about reading comprehension and it was about not knowing what a real link is. But speaking of security checks, it's a fuck of a lot more dangerous to blow up a plane than a train, something about the relative altitude of each.
First, yeah I figured.
Second, it not fallacy. You aren’t getting on a trillion dollar train without being molested by the TSA and getting everything checked for two hours. You’re insane if you think that’s not happening.
Third, fuck yeah a train wreck is worse. Not just the deaths but the destruction of the track means everything is fucked. A plane can go down and the next one flys over the wreck. A train gets blown up and the entire system is shut down for months.

If the plane has multiple runways in that heading, the airport may NEVER shut down except for a few hours to put out the fires,
I was thinking outside of the airport, or train station in this case but yeah, how many rail lines could there possibly be. Two?

I think the senile old fuck missed a diaper change or something.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Are YOU saying that a train will NEVER be able to travel as fast as current commercial aircraft? Let's hear you say that bit of stupid.

Nope. Top speeds of a train are 267mph. Commercial airliner is around 570mph. Aint gonna happen.

Top speeds [sic] of which train? I've already posted that the TGV has done over 350. That's not even counting the hyperloop others have posted about which would double that. That hyperloop doesn't exist yet, but the alleged quote, again DOES say "imagine a world where", it does not say "you can do this right now".

Besides which, as I pointed out at the beginning of all this, plane travel involves a fuck of a lot more than just the flying, which adds hours to the trip.

I swear ta god summa y'all seem to have never been on a plane trip at all. Which is fine, but don't sit here and pontificate on something y'all don't understand.

350 mph is a lie, no passenger trains do that with passengers on board. There is no demand for this in the USA except the NE coast, Boston/NYC/Philly/DC.

Funny. there didn't used to be any passenger jets capable of supersonic flight. But then, THERE WERE!

And now there aren’t. They were too expensive to keep flying and had a tendency to crash. If they had government subsidies they would still be here though.

And they're bringing them back

You keep digging up this off topic crap to avoid why you are just dead wrong.

Biden was speaking of the future.
You demand to believe that he was talking about now.

You're confused or just being dishonest.

He might be talking about. . . "the future," but what we have now, are real, practical applications for that NOW, as this is the infrastructure bill. Spending money on unproven tech is reckless. Especially if it is not in demand by the free market.

Joe Biden Says Trains Will Soon Be Almost as Fast as Planes. That's Ridiculous.
Advocates of high-speed rail have been overpromising and underdelivering for decades, but Biden just raised the bar.

". . . For context, the fastest speed that a train has ever achieved—not while carrying passengers, mind you, but just as an experiment—is 357 mph. Over long distances, while carrying passengers and making stops at stations, the world's speediest train is China's Beijing to Nanjing line, which runs at slightly less than 200 mph.

Meanwhile, the average speed of a commercial jet in the United States is about 500 mph.

That's not even close to being an apples-to-apples comparison. After all, planes carrying passengers used to routinely break the sound barrier (roughly 760 mph, though it varies based on atmospheric conditions), and experimental aircraft have gone far faster. Still, the world's fastest train still finishes a distant second when matched up against an average, boring Boeing 737.

In other words, "close to as fast" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in Biden's prediction about the future of transportation in America.

But the more important point has nothing to do with racing trains against planes. Biden's comments on Wednesday are part of a grand tradition of overpromising the potential of high-speed rail—though he might have set a new record for the widest gap between imagination and reality.. . . "

Video can be seen at this link;

Biden touts trains as fast as planes, supersonic jets in infrastructure push

In reality? The speech wasn't too bad when he didn't go off script. The right just tore it down, because when he did say dumb shit, like that train comment? It was, well, really out there. It short, it over promises, and under-delivers. It is a recipe for corruption, greed and graft. Just think of all those crumbling empty cities in China.

Like this one, pushing this infrastructure plan by saying, soon, someday, we would be able to fly around the world in an hour? wtf? :dunno:

". . . I tell the kids — the young people who work for me and to all my kids — when I go on college campuses, they’re going to see more change in the next 10 years than we’ve seen in the last 50 years. We’re going to talk about commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds — supersonic speeds. Be able to, figuratively, if you may — if we decided to do it, traverse the world in about an hour, travel 21,000 miles an hour. So much is changing. We have got to lead it. . . ."

The space shuttle hit 17,500 mph. For five people and some freight. It cost right at 2 billion per launch to do that. It doesn’t take much math to figure out this pipe dream. You need power and a fuel source, yet we are trying to go backward with windmills and shit for our homes. You can’t windmill your ass to 21,000 miles per hour. Holy shit.

Looks like you lost the topic. Windmills are two aisles over.

Good comparison though. Your trains will work just as good as the windmills did during a freeze.

Whelp, first off your quote says "close to", not "as fast as". Second, the TGV (Train de Grand Vitesse) in France has been clocked at over 350 mph; and third, airports are always located well outside of cities, which adds all the time, assuming no schedule delays, of commuting to one airport and from the other, the security lines, check-in, all of that, resulting in the fact that I could drive from here in the sticks of North Carolina to downtown Nashville in the same time the company's plane ticket would get me there, and that's simply easy car driving and not a TGV.

Train stations, in contrast to airports, rarely ever fall out of the sky and therefore bring you right to the center of town.

So you agree with Biden's assessment that a train can get you "across the country" almost as fast as a commercial jet? Let's hear you say it...

Are YOU saying that a train will NEVER be able to travel as fast as current commercial aircraft? Let's hear you say that bit of stupid.

Nope. Top speeds of a train are 267mph. Commercial airliner is around 570mph. Aint gonna happen.

Top speeds [sic] of which train? I've already posted that the TGV has done over 350. That's not even counting the hyperloop others have posted about which would double that. That hyperloop doesn't exist yet, but the alleged quote, again DOES say "imagine a world where", it does not say "you can do this right now".

Besides which, as I pointed out at the beginning of all this, plane travel involves a fuck of a lot more than just the flying, which adds hours to the trip.

I swear ta god summa y'all seem to have never been on a plane trip at all. Which is fine, but don't sit here and pontificate on something y'all don't understand.

350 mph is a lie, no passenger trains do that with passengers on board. There is no demand for this in the USA except the NE coast, Boston/NYC/Philly/DC.

Funny. there didn't used to be any passenger jets capable of supersonic flight. But then, THERE WERE!

And now there aren’t. They were too expensive to keep flying and had a tendency to crash. If they had government subsidies they would still be here though.

He might be talking about. . . "the future," but what we have now, are real, practical applications for that NOW, as this is the infrastructure bill. Spending money on unproven tech is reckless. Especially if it is not in demand by the free market.

Advocates of high-speed rail have been overpromising and underdelivering for decades, but Biden just raised the bar.

". . . For context, the fastest speed that a train has ever achieved—not while carrying passengers, mind you, but just as an experiment—is 357 mph. Over long distances, while carrying passengers and making stops at stations, the world's speediest train is China's Beijing to Nanjing line, which runs at slightly less than 200 mph.

Meanwhile, the average speed of a commercial jet in the United States is about 500 mph.

That's not even close to being an apples-to-apples comparison. After all, planes carrying passengers used to routinely break the sound barrier (roughly 760 mph, though it varies based on atmospheric conditions), and experimental aircraft have gone far faster. Still, the world's fastest train still finishes a distant second when matched up against an average, boring Boeing 737.

In other words, "close to as fast" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in Biden's prediction about the future of transportation in America.

But the more important point has nothing to do with racing trains against planes. Biden's comments on Wednesday are part of a grand tradition of overpromising the potential of high-speed rail—though he might have set a new record for the widest gap between imagination and reality.. . . "

In reality? The speech wasn't too bad when he didn't go off script. The right just tore it down, because when he did say dumb shit, like that train comment? It was, well, really out there. It short, it over promises, and under-delivers. It is a recipe for corruption, greed and graft. Just think of all those crumbling empty cities in China.

Like this one, pushing this infrastructure plan by saying, soon, someday, we would be able to fly around the world in an hour? wtf? :dunno:

". . . I tell the kids — the young people who work for me and to all my kids — when I go on college campuses, they’re going to see more change in the next 10 years than we’ve seen in the last 50 years. We’re going to talk about commercial aircraft flying at subsonic speeds — supersonic speeds. Be able to, figuratively, if you may — if we decided to do it, traverse the world in about an hour, travel 21,000 miles an hour. So much is changing. We have got to lead it. . . ."

The world will note that the link in the post above is the first time --- in post 145 --- that the quote in the OP has been sourced at all. It speaks volumes about the legitimacy of this discussion that it went on for two days without a defined subject.

I was, myself, curious about the source.

I have noted, during the Trump admin., what I thought, was your unreasonable hatred for everything Trump. But. . . I went and actually READ those Whitehouse statements, and policies that the press didn't cover, and much of them were pretty good. There was a reason that the MSM didn't cover them.

. . . so? I figured there is a reason that the bullshit is floating to the top here too. Did you read the Whitehouse link? Much of that speech, and those ideas aren't too bad. And multiple times, Biden states he wants to work across the aisle.

So why are we focused on the stupid inane shit?

Well. . . because hyper-partisanship is more fun I guess. . . Just like you could never, and would never, recognize any of the good that Trump did, the folks that are making fun of Biden for making this stupid comment? Will never acknowledge the any of the good in that speech.

Should the DOT have kept up our infrastructure over the past several decades? Sure. But is there a need for new investment? Probably. And that is a conversation we should probably be having.

But this bashing is just more fun, just like bashing Trump was more fun.

So, in that spirit, obfuscation is always the strategy of choice. You can't cherry pick without it. ;)

In fact I did not read any of the links. All I did was verify that the first one was an actual source to the Biden quote, which was my whole focus. Beyond that I really don't care. My thrust here, as it has always been, is "is this discussion legitimate?".

As for Rump bashing, as I've also been pointing out for the last six years, that is entirely about personality, not politics. Politics aren't even present. It's entirely personal. You might say, politics pales in comParison to personal putridity.

. . I did not know you knew Trump.

Interesting.

I don't, nor did I say I did.

In fact now that that image is invoked I think I'd rather consume a soup made of my own puke. :stir:

I’ve never been on a train for a long trip but I can’t imagine you don’t check your bags. I don’t see everyone going to their seats with two rolling suit cases. No way.

Yeah you do. I've crossed the country by train.

Second, there’s no chance these trains won’t have a two hour check in time with TSA and all the same shit they have at airports. We used to run into an airport 15 minutes before take off, not now. Trains would be the same.

Speculation fallacy.

Third, and this is the technical part. You can’t just have a train going LA to NY like a direct flight. It’s not feasable, cost wise or use wise. The train would have to stop. A lot. So what stops? Let’s say LA, SLC, Denver, KC, STL, Chicago, Philly, NYC? Something like that. You aren’t smoking through those cities at 350 mph, sudden stop, 15 minute unload reload time and back to 350 mph. It’s an hour per stop minimum after slowing down well before getting there and leaving.

None of it makes sense as a tax payer investment. If a private railroad thinks they can do it I’m all for it. Not all of us paying for this mess.

The OP wasn't about "taxpayer investment", nor was it about security lines. -- it was about speed. It was about reading comprehension and it was about not knowing what a real link is. But speaking of security checks, it's a fuck of a lot more dangerous to blow up a plane than a train, something about the relative altitude of each.
First, yeah I figured.
Second, it not fallacy. You aren’t getting on a trillion dollar train without being molested by the TSA and getting everything checked for two hours. You’re insane if you think that’s not happening.
Third, fuck yeah a train wreck is worse. Not just the deaths but the destruction of the track means everything is fucked. A plane can go down and the next one flys over the wreck. A train gets blown up and the entire system is shut down for months.

If the plane has multiple runways in that heading, the airport may NEVER shut down except for a few hours to put out the fires,
I was thinking outside of the airport, or train station in this case but yeah, how many rail lines could there possibly be. Two?

There are always at least 2 train railways, often used for different directions.
But longer hauls can be rerouted dozens of different ways, and repairing rails can only take a few ours.

The world will note that the link in the post above is the first time --- in post 145 --- that the quote in the OP has been sourced at all. It speaks volumes about the legitimacy of this discussion that it went on for two days without a defined subject.

I have noted, during the Trump admin., what I thought, was your unreasonable hatred for everything Trump. But. . . I went and actually READ those Whitehouse statements, and policies that the press didn't cover, and much of them were pretty good. There was a reason that the MSM didn't cover them.

. . . so? I figured there is a reason that the bullshit is floating to the top here too. Did you read the Whitehouse link? Much of that speech, and those ideas aren't too bad. And multiple times, Biden states he wants to work across the aisle.

Well. . . because hyper-partisanship is more fun I guess. . . Just like you could never, and would never, recognize any of the good that Trump did, the folks that are making fun of Biden for making this stupid comment? Will never acknowledge the any of the good in that speech.

Should the DOT have kept up our infrastructure over the past several decades? Sure. But is there a need for new investment? Probably. And that is a conversation we should probably be having.

So, in that spirit, obfuscation is always the strategy of choice. You can't cherry pick without it. ;)

In fact I did not read any of the links. All I did was verify that the first one was an actual source to the Biden quote, which was my whole focus. Beyond that I really don't care. My thrust here, as it has always been, is "is this discussion legitimate?".

As for Rump bashing, as I've also been pointing out for the last six years, that is entirely about personality, not politics. Politics aren't even present. It's entirely personal. You might say, politics pales in comParison to personal putridity.

Interesting.

In fact now that that image is invoked I think I'd rather consume a soup made of my own puke. :stir:

No, you didn't say you knew Trump. . . however, I thought you were smarter than that.

In order for something to be relevant like that? You said;

It's entirely personal. You might say, politics pales in comParison to personal putridity.

That implies something happened, or you know something between you guys that is more important than politics. If what you are basing your judgement on is what you get off the news, or what you read? Than you aren't very familiar with your E. Bernays.

It is dumb, in my opinion, to make the claim, "it is personal," when you don't really know the guy.

Nothing is really "personal," unless you have intimate knowledge. . . and you don't. All you know is what the establishment wants you to believe. You are as ignorant as the Trumptards, about who Donald really is. If his public persona is a cover? You would be none the wiser. And I guess? That would be the point.

Interesting.

No, you didn't say you knew Trump. . . however, I thought you were smarter than that.

In order for something to be relevant like that? You said;

It's entirely personal. You might say, politics pales in comParison to personal putridity.

That implies something happened, or you know something between you guys that is more important than politics. If what you are basing your judgement on is what you get off the news, or what you read? Than you aren't very familiar with your E. Bernays.

It is dumb, in my opinion, to make the claim, "it is personal," when you don't really know the guy.

Nothing is really "personal," unless you have intimate knowledge. . . and you don't. All you know is what the establishment wants you to believe. You are as ignorant as the Trumptards, about who Donald really is. If his public persona is a cover? You would be none the wiser. And I guess? That would be the point.

That's complete crapola. Nobody needs "intimate knowledge" when the subject plops it out there naked. NOR does it have jack squat to do with "what establishment wants anybody to believe". This is PUBLIC RECORD. For example, the fact that the Bronx is not at all in Germany is meaningless. But the fact that he would publicly say that, and then say it again, and then repeat it again, and then repeat it again AGAIN, tells everybody in the world that the sleazeball has no regard for Reality and lives in his own world of self-delusion, where he believes he can just make it up. And that is disgusting.

IT'S ON VIDEO. There ain't no "intimacy" needed AT ALL.

"Would means wouldn't".
"Thousands and thousands dancing on rooftops".
Central Park Five.

These are all hallmarks of a seriously DEEPLY flawed character. and they're all public record. One which dismisses any reality at will in abject self-absorbed denialism. That is rank dishonesty. FOR FUCK'S SAKE IT'S ALL ON THE RECORD. "Intimate knowledge" MY ASS.

/offtopic

I doubt that a train could ever beat the speed of a commercial jet airliner.

But I do believe it would be possible for a train to match that speed.

There is a topological problem though.

Where would one land a plane that was big enough to carry that train?

Perhaps not much of a problem, - after all The Supreme Court decades ago ruled that there is no private property and government can seize anyone's property for any reason or no reason at all (see "New London").

I cant see it happening withour generating a vacuum tube. Too much air resistance at ground level. Its why commercial airliners travel 37,000 feet.

The space shuttle hit 17,500 mph. For five people and some freight. It cost right at 2 billion per launch to do that. It doesn’t take much math to figure out this pipe dream. You need power and a fuel source, yet we are trying to go backward with windmills and shit for our homes. You can’t windmill your ass to 21,000 miles per hour. Holy shit.

Looks like you lost the topic. Windmills are two aisles over.

Good comparison though. Your trains will work just as good as the windmills did during a freeze.

Perhaps it should be a comparison to the gas powered plants. They are, after all, the parts that failed.

Wow. They never read beyond the NEWSMAX headline do they?

train.gif

Forum List

Back